If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Airplay solution

Options
  • 16-02-2017 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm looking for a cheapish solution to compliment what I have already. Quality isn't a massive issue as I'm streaming Spotify from iPhone or Alexa and my current TV has crap audio output, but I'd like something that could boost volume. Bluetooth isn't an option but Airplay would be the ideal. Essentially, I'm looking for the cheapest option that accepts Airplay and a couple of other inputs. 
    I might be asking for too much, but for example, the Samsung R1 fits in with my Smartthings security system... but I can't see it integrate with my telly or acting as a central audio output for my telly and Virgin Media box. Or a soundbar that will let be stream media from an Apple device but work seamlessly as an audio output from the telly. I have a Harmony Elite remote so switching things is a touch of a button.
    Any ideas? If the solution was right, I'd spend the money.

Actually, something with HDMI and optical in might do the trick.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi there, I'm looking for a cheapish solution to compliment what I have already. Quality isn't a massive issue as I'm streaming Spotify from iPhone or Alexa and my current TV has crap audio output, but I'd like something that could boost volume. Bluetooth isn't an option but Airplay would be the ideal. Essentially, I'm looking for the cheapest option that accepts Airplay and a couple of other inputs. 
    I might be asking for too much, but for example, the Samsung R1 fits in with my Smartthings security system... but I can't see it integrate with my telly or acting as a central audio output for my telly and Virgin Media box. Or a soundbar that will let be stream media from an Apple device but work seamlessly as an audio output from the telly. I have a Harmony Elite remote so switching things is a touch of a button.
    Any ideas? If the solution was right, I'd spend the money.

Actually, something with HDMI and optical in might do the trick.
    Hi Rambunctious1.

The Airplay function will be the awkward bit as I cant think of a cheap product that has this.

For soundbars most now use bluetooth for connecting to phones and tablets. Is there an y reason why bluetooth is no an option?

LG offer up the SH7 soundbar which uses googlecast while its not airplay it maybe a suitable alternative for what you are trying to achieve. Does have Optical and HDMI connections also.
    Currently priced at £259.00
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars-sound-base/lg/sh7/lg-sh7

Would this be of use?

Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

The Airplay function will be the awkward bit as I cant think of a cheap product that has this.

For soundbars most now use bluetooth for connecting to phones and tablets. Is there an y reason why bluetooth is no an option?

LG offer up the SH7 soundbar which uses googlecast while its not airplay it maybe a suitable alternative for what you are trying to achieve. Does have Optical and HDMI connections also.

Would this be of use?

After a fair amount of research I've given up on a soundbar altogether and ended up with a couple of Samsung R1 speakers. The R1's are great, work in stereo and don't require any of the messing about with pairing sources and unpairing that you get with bluetooth devices. This has lead me to think about replacing the old telly. I'm looking at the Samsung UE49KU6400 and from what I can see, the R1's would be compatible and I could probably use them as rear speakers to boost the TV's sound. Would you be able to confirm that this setup is possible on this model? Could you also confirm availability and best euro price including delivery to Galway?
    Many thanks in advance.
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]49KU6400[/font]

Would this be of use?

After a fair amount of research I've given up on a soundbar altogether and ended up with a couple of Samsung R1 speakers. The R1's are great, work in stereo and don't require any of the messing about with pairing sources and unpairing that you get with bluetooth devices. This has lead me to think about replacing the old telly. I'm looking at the Samsung UE49KU6400 and from what I can see, the R1's would be compatible and I could probably use them as rear speakers to boost the TV's sound. Would you be able to confirm that this setup is possible on this model? Could you also confirm availability and best euro price including delivery to Galway?
    Many thanks in advance.
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]49KU6400[/font]
    Hi Rambunctious1,

I have had a read into this and it seems you would only be able to use the R1s as rears if it was running with a soundbar. They will work as a stereo pair with your TV as 2.0 but it appears it will override the TV sound. From the RS website:

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Place two R1s next to your TV to create a wireless 2.1 system or connect a soundbar and two R1 speakers as rear speakers creating a wireless 5.1 surround system that will drastically improve your movie and music experience.[/font]

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope you have found this info helpful.[/font]

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kind regards[/font]

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]David[/font]

Hi Rambunctious1,

I have had a read into this and it seems you would only be able to use the R1s as rears if it was running with a soundbar. They will work as a stereo pair with your TV as 2.0 but it appears it will override the TV sound. From the RS website:

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Place two R1s next to your TV to create a wireless 2.1 system or connect a soundbar and two R1 speakers as rear speakers creating a wireless 5.1 surround system that will drastically improve your movie and music experience.[/font]

[font=MuseoSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope you have found this info helpful.[/font]

That's great David. So I'd still get 2.1 with the R1's! Any word on price and availability etc...?

Hi Rambunctious1,

That's great David. So I'd still get 2.1 with the R1's! Any word on price and availability etc...?
    They are priced at £139 each but are currently very low in availability in our main warehouse. I could try to order you 2 but couldn't guarantee getting stock at the moment.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

They are priced at £139 each but are currently very low in availability in our main warehouse. I could try to order you 2 but couldn't guarantee getting stock at the moment.

Kind regards

David

Sorry David. It's the UE49KU6400 I'm looking for. I have the R1's already.

Kind regards

David

Sorry David. It's the UE49KU6400 I'm looking for. I have the R1's already.
    Hi Rambunctious1.

The 49KU6400 is currently priced at £549.00 with £6.99 shipping
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202044-ue49ku6400.aspx

Currently in stock and ready to ship (Our next shipping date is Tuesday 18th due to Easter)

Hi Rambunctious1.

Currently in stock and ready to ship (Our next shipping date is Tuesday 18th due to Easter)

Thanks Kenny. Sounds good, I'll go with that. Is just ordering through your site the best way to go?

Hi Rambunctious1.

Thanks Kenny. Sounds good, I'll go with that. Is just ordering through your site the best way to go?
    Hi Rambunctions1.

Ordering via the website is very straight forward and it does all the checks there and then speeding things along a little.

However if you would prefer to speak to a human and place the order you can drop me your contact number in a PM and i can give you a call.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.