Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER conservatories

• 16-02-2017 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

DEAP set out two conditions associated with Conservatories

Apart from heating - DEAP states the following:

To be considered thermally separated, it must fulfill both of the following:

i) The walls, floors, windows and doors between it and the main dwelling must have U-values not more than 10% greater than corresponding exposed elements. For example, the U-value for a window between the heated and unheated space must not be more than 10% greater than exposed glazing elsewhere in the dwelling.

I would appreciate it if someone out there could put this into layman's terminology and provide an example

thanks
    Descol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dathi

descol wrote: »
    DEAP set out two conditions associated with Conservatories

Apart from heating - DEAP states the following:

To be considered thermally separated, it must fulfill both of the following:

i) The walls, floors, windows and doors between it and the main dwelling must have U-values not more than 10% greater than corresponding exposed elements. For example, the U-value for a window between the heated and unheated space must not be more than 10% greater than exposed glazing elsewhere in the dwelling.

I would appreciate it if someone out there could put this into layman's terminology and provide an example

thanks
    Descol

it means that the door closing the conservatory from the rest of the house must have a thermal performance that is no more than 10% worse than the the performance of your back door/front door eg. back door u value 0.6 then conservatory door to house must be no more than u value 0.7 same with all elements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I think the spirit of that bit is basically that of a full spec external wall and door and a conservatory built up against them (later on usually).

The percentages then give a little scope for a slightly different door or wall build up than the main house wall.

If in doubt though I'd always photograph it and send it to the helpline to get a "judgement"

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

Thanks Dathti / MT

Dathti - in your thinking then if the Door to the Conservatory is timber single glaze at Uvalue 4.8 and front door is the same then the Conservatory if unheated is Thermally seperated - MT would you agree ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There would have to be an external wall between the house and conservatory too.

My only worry would be that the "timber single glazed" door might be an internal style door vs an external timber door to the front of the house. In that case even if they presented with the same U-Value I think I'd get an OK from the helpline.

internal-double-french-doors-double-jb-kind-classique-24299.jpg

vs.

m-JEDTEphBIrUegGOdQNFVg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

thanks MT

• Advertisement
Advertisement