Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless used without permissiob

• 16-02-2017 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I was in a out last week and was a bit nervous as was in a first date. Owing to nerves I didn't realise that contactless had been used without asking (prefer pin) and was massively overcharged versus my bill. Hands up my bad... Should have checked but do I have any recourse at all? Plan a is to get a new card without contactless!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Clazbeag wrote: »
    I was in a out last week and was a bit nervous as was in a first date. Owing to nerves I didn't realise that contactless had been used without asking (prefer pin) and was massively overcharged versus my bill. Hands up my bad... Should have checked but do I have any recourse at all? Plan a is to get a new card without contactless!!

So you had to pay for a bill for food and drink that you consumed and you are now trying to get out of it because it was taken contactless..

Contactless has a limit of 35 quid if you can't afford that for dinner and drinks I suggest you rexamine where you take your dates

No you can't get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Don't see how you could be massively overchargedvas limit on contactlesd is 30 euro. What should bill have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭joeguevara

listermint wrote: »
    So you had to pay for a bill for food and drink that you consumed and you are now trying to get out of it because it was taken contactless..

Contactless has a limit of 35 quid if you can't afford that for dinner and drinks I suggest you rexamine where you take your dates

No you can't get out of it.

It looks like he was charged more than the bill was for. Not that he couldn't afford the bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Did you get a receipt for the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

I got a receipt. It's just I thought they were meant to ask before using.... Ie give you an option between that and pin. I got a water and a Guinness so should have been maybe about nine to ten max but got charged 28.70. Not a lot of money at all in overall terms but more versus what I should have paid. Serves as a reminder to me and contactless card being ordered this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

Why didn't you question it at the time? Using contactless or your pin wouldn't have made a difference to the total.

Edit: I suppose putting in your pin gives you more time to check before you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭cml387

"Massively" overcharged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Contact the merchant and explain the situation. Most places would be shocked with that level of overcharging. If I've ever used contactless in a bar/nightclub I've always been given a receipt or asked for one. In your situation It's a bit awkward though when your on a first date tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭joeguevara

cml387 wrote: »
    "Massively" overcharged?

Id consider 280% to be a massive overcharge. Would you not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

"Massively" overcharged?

It's all relative to be fair, if something should have been five euro and I was charged 30 id be fairly pissed off. If it was something for 600 and I was charged 625, id still be annoyed but not to the extent of being charged 6 times the expected price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

I guess I'm more wondering at this stage if they should have asked or not for the right to use contactless? I understand why he didn't . Fella behind the bar was on his own and had a massive queue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Go to the pub and talk to a manager about it. Some people ask, some don't. You get a receipt anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would guess the op is talking about contactless bank charge nothing to do with overcharging.

Op from now on you insert card in you aren't meant to hand card over anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The lesson is to never hand over your card, and to look at the terminal before tapping. Nothing wrong with the technology. I'd go back with the receipt and point it out to them. They'll be falling over themselves to apologise.

I would guess the op is talking about contactless bank charge nothing to do with overcharging.

Op from now on you insert card in you aren't meant to hand card over anyway.

It's nothing to do with a bank charge, he was charged 28.80 for 2 drinks.

I got a receipt. It's just I thought they were meant to ask before using.... Ie give you an option between that and pin. I got a water and a Guinness so should have been maybe about nine to ten max but got charged 28.70. Not a lot of money at all in overall terms but more versus what I should have paid. Serves as a reminder to me and contactless card being ordered this morning!

Go back to the bar with your receipt and explain exactly what you had. I'm sure they'll refund you the difference if they're a reputable business.

Cheap date all the same, Guinness and water. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I guess I'm more wondering at this stage if they should have asked or not for the right to use contactless? I understand why he didn't . Fella behind the bar was on his own and had a massive queue.
    Put it this way: why would they think you wanted to use chip and pin if you handed them the card? They'd have to give the whole thing back to you to put in the pin anyway so handing it over would be a pointless exercise. It's a fair assumption that you were happy for them to tap it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Forgetting about contactless payment for now, the issue is the OP was well overcharged for what he purchased and it's nothing to do with 'how' he paid (unless the contactless payment went through 3 times), do you have a receipt? Go back to the bar and speak to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Does your receipt actually say a Guinness and water on it for 28.70??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Forget the contactless, you didn't check the receipt. It would be no different than them handing you the terminal and entering you pin but not concentrating on the total on screen .Easily done.

Sounds like you paid for someone elses drinks.

Did you keep the receipt.the method of payment isn't the problem here it's the receipt .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Did ya get the roide like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

"Massively" overcharged?

Pay 28 quid for a guinness and try not to feel massively over charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

No wonder banks here spend no money on tech, when a lot of people refuse to use anything innovative. Barely a few days go by on boards without someone being so offended or upset about a staff member using contactless without their permission. The whole point of contactless is convenience. It is not very convenient if you have to ask a customer do you want to use chip & pin or contactless. I worked retail so for a small minority of customers it will be a 10 sec pause to decide which one to use. Even if they want to use chip & pin, there is another 20 secs lost. Versus someone hands you a contactless card and within 2 seconds it's done.

People instead of giving out about contactless cards, overcharging etc should entire deactivate their contactless or look at their receipt afterwards for how much they were charged. I dont see why shops/bars etc should have to ask every customer about whether they want to use chip & pin or contactless, if 99% of customers use contactless

newacc2015 wrote: »
    No wonder banks here spend no money on tech, when a lot of people refuse to use anything innovative. Barely a few days go by on boards without someone being so offended or upset about a staff member using contactless without their permission. The whole point of contactless is convenience. It is not very convenient if you have to ask a customer do you want to use chip & pin or contactless. I worked retail so for a small minority of customers it will be a 10 sec pause to decide which one to use. Even if they want to use chip & pin, there is another 20 secs lost. Versus someone hands you a contactless card and within 2 seconds it's done.

People instead of giving out about contactless cards, overcharging etc should entire deactivate their contactless or look at their receipt afterwards for how much they were charged. I dont see why shops/bars etc should have to ask every customer about whether they want to use chip & pin or contactless, if 99% of customers use contactless

I agree the contactless is so handy but the issue is you don't get a receipt from the machine so it really is a case of looking at the machine before you tap your card. People just have to get used to this like anything else.

However if barmen are going to use it then the should place the machine in front of the customer for tapping, not take the card off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Is your PIN 2870 by any chance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I got a receipt. It's just I thought they were meant to ask before using.... Ie give you an option between that and pin. I got a water and a Guinness so should have been maybe about nine to ten max but got charged 28.70. Not a lot of money at all in overall terms but more versus what I should have paid.  Serves as a reminder to me and contactless card being ordered this morning!
    To have been over charged, you have to have been charged a different price than the advertised one, so how does the prices per the receipt differ from the advertised prices???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Some date. Guinness and a water!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just get on to your bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

No wonder banks here spend no money on tech, when a lot of people refuse to use anything innovative.

Ulster bank sent me out a contactless card a couple of months ago without me asking for it and then cancelled my other card.

I was feeling a bit 'dinosaurish' when I rang them and told them I didn't want the contactless and please to issue me a non-contactless card. Threads like this make me glad I did.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Deagol wrote: »
    Ulster bank sent me out a contactless card a couple of months ago without me asking for it and then cancelled my other card.

I was feeling a bit 'dinosaurish' when I rang them and told them I didn't want the contactless and please to issue me a non-contactless card. Threads like this make me glad I did.... :D

Sound like a know it all tbh. When you first got your ATM card years ago did you send it back and tell them you'll still go to the counter?

Advertisement