Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless used without permissiob

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

duffman13 wrote:
    It's all relative to be fair, if something should have been five euro and I was charged 30 id be fairly pissed off. If it was something for 600 and I was charged 625, id still be annoyed but not to the extent of being charged 6 times the expected price.

I'd be equally annoyed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Sound like a know it all tbh. When you first got your ATM card years ago did you send it back and tell them you'll still go to the counter?

I sound like a know it all?? Pot, kettle, black ???

ATM cards have a security device that stops other people using them called a PIN number (that's Personal Identification Number, just so you don't have to look it up :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sound like a know it all tbh. When you first got your ATM card years ago did you send it back and tell them you'll still go to the counter?

Because that's the same thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

You're supposed to read the terminal, then tap to authorise. Not just blindly authorise any random amount.

The max is €30.00 on contactless with a card, and up to normal TX limit on a Android Pay device on some terminals (some will treat it as a normal card).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

newacc2015 wrote: »
    No wonder banks here spend no money on tech, when a lot of people refuse to use anything innovative. Barely a few days go by on boards without someone being so offended or upset about a staff member using contactless without their permission. The whole point of contactless is convenience. It is not very convenient if you have to ask a customer do you want to use chip & pin or contactless. I worked retail so for a small minority of customers it will be a 10 sec pause to decide which one to use. Even if they want to use chip & pin, there is another 20 secs lost. Versus someone hands you a contactless card and within 2 seconds it's done.

People instead of giving out about contactless cards, overcharging etc should entire deactivate their contactless or look at their receipt afterwards for how much they were charged. I dont see why shops/bars etc should have to ask every customer about whether they want to use chip & pin or contactless, if 99% of customers use contactless

Well not really. The customer might be gone in a few seconds but the card can still be declined if it has already been used 4 times that day. I got caught twice last week for €13 and €21.50. Now I either hold the card until it 'clears' or ask the customer to wait for the receipt. I don't really find it any quicker at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Deagol wrote: »
    I sound like a know it all?? Pot, kettle, black ???

ATM cards have a security device that stops other people using them called a PIN number (that's Personal Identification Number, just so you don't have to look it up :p)

A Personal Identification Number number?
    Thanks for clearing that up :pac: ;)

Just go in and explain the situation to the bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

emeldc wrote: »
    Well not really. The customer might be gone in a few seconds but the card can still be declined if it has already been used 4 times that day. I got caught twice last week for €13 and €21.50. Now I either hold the card until it 'clears' or ask the customer to wait for the receipt. I don't really find it any quicker at all.

Your internet connection is obviously very slow then if the customer has already left the shop. It's instantly approved anywhere I've used my card except in small country places with really slow internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

Sounds like your date may have had a few shady vodkas when you weren't looking..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pilly wrote: »
    I agree the contactless is so handy but the issue is you don't get a receipt from the machine so it really is a case of looking at the machine before you tap your card. People just have to get used to this like anything else.
    Most poor terminal implementations, and all good terminal implementations, should provide you with a receipt for contact and contactless transactions. I have seen one implementation which doesn't but I'm putting that down to poor terminal developers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Galadriel wrote: »
    Forgetting about contactless payment for now
    Except he believes the contactless thingy is the cause of the problem and is expecting redress :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice.

1. Called in an all sorted
    2. Rang ptsb and go to one of their atms and through other services they say you can cancel the contactless. Plan doing this after work.
    3. Ohhh knock the sparkling water drinker!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Still be careful to not hand your card over. They're not common in Europe but some terminals allow you to bypass chip and pin and just swipe. Always insist on holding it yourself and looking at the amount keyed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

TheChizler wrote: »
    Still be careful to not hand your card over. They're not common in Europe but some terminals allow you to bypass chip and pin and just swipe. Always insist on holding it yourself and looking at the amount keyed in.

Any terminal lets you do that - can be done as a card-holder not present TX on pretty much any machine, you just punch in the 16 digit number.

ezra_ wrote: »
    Any terminal lets you do that - can be done as a card-holder not present TX on pretty much any machine, you just punch in the 16 digit number.

I mean swipe, not putting in the card number which definitelyy any terminal can do. Basically OP, don't give anyone your card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

TheChizler wrote: »

Most terminals allow you to do that.
    If you're chip is broken you just swipe and sign the paper. Or don't sign it. No one really cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

eeguy wrote: »
    Most terminals allow you to do that.
    If you're chip is broken you just swipe and sign the paper. Or don't sign it. No one really cares.

Can't the merchant disable that on their terminals? So if the card has a chip, it must be used and the swipe won't work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭cml387

I suppose I was a bit hasty with my post. Glad you got sorted OP.

One thing is, me being an old fashioned sort, is I'd never use a card in a bar, at least at night in the madness of a busy place. But I suppose we've moved on.

(And you can still be short changed I hear you all cry)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cml387 wrote: »
    I suppose I was a bit hasty with my post. Glad you got sorted OP.

One thing is, me being an old fashioned sort, is I'd never use a card in a bar, at least at night in the madness of a busy place. But I suppose we've moved on.

(And you can still be short changed I hear you all cry)

Yup, that is why this has nothing to do with contactless payments. Always get a receipt and actually check it, whether you are paying by card, contactless or cash.

Specially in busy bars where they might genuinely mix up two orders or try to take advantage of drunk people not taking notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

pilly wrote: »
    However if barmen are going to use it then the should place the machine in front of the customer for tapping, not take the card off them.

Witherspoon's have a good setup with the terminals attached to the bar facing the customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Deagol wrote: »
    Ulster bank sent me out a contactless card a couple of months ago without me asking for it and then cancelled my other card.

I was feeling a bit 'dinosaurish' when I rang them and told them I didn't want the contactless and please to issue me a non-contactless card. Threads like this make me glad I did.... :D

What a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭bemak

I had an appointment with a doctor last weekend. They were able to take 100e from my card without a pin. Don't know how they did it. I asked them, are you sure that went through because I never got asked for my pin and they said yes. Check my statement, 100e came out in one go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

bemak wrote: »
    I had an appointment with a doctor last weekend. They were able to take 100e from my card without a pin. Don't know how they did it. I asked them, are you sure that went through because I never got asked for my pin and they said yes. Check my statement, 100e came out in one go!

Did they use contactless though because contactless limit is €30. There are other ways of taking payments from a card without a PIN which is more likely for €100

As above its easy to bypass PIN. Only if there's fraud the retailer isn't indemnified, whereas with PIN they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

bemak wrote: »

You can easily punch it on a terminal without having to use a pin. You can do refunds without having to enter a pin either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry OP how is canceling your contactless payment option going to solve your inability to read a receipt?

Because it won't...

Advertisement