Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L'eroica build brake lever question

Options
  • 16-02-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi, I'm building up a (Italian) steel frame bike at the moment. My question is with non aero brake levers or any other type really as to which lever should connect to which brake.
    I have an American Touring bike and the left brake lever connects to the rear brake and a European road bike the left lever connects to front brake.
    Is there a correct way to configure the brakes or it a matter of preference? It would probably be safer if all bikes were the same !
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

AmboMan wrote: »
    Hi, I'm building up a (Italian) steel frame bike at the moment. My question is with non aero brake levers or any other type really as to which lever should connect to which brake.
    I have an American Touring bike and the left brake lever connects to the rear brake and a European road bike the left lever connects to front brake.
    Is there a correct way to configure the brakes or it a matter of preference? It would probably be safer if all bikes were the same !
    Thanks in advance.

its really your preference.
    If they are center pull brakes it facilitates both set ups.

If they are side pull the Euro set up (left front, right rear) tends to work better for the cable arch at the front (wont be as tight a curve = smoother inner cable movement). If cable guides on top tube are on the left of the toptube (not on top)same applies for the rear brake.

Its not as difficult to adjust to the opposite set up as some people will make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Thanks for that, I've side pull brakes to that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I thought also that for authenticity, the outers go over the handlebars. Mine do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

They will do, probably be dia-compe levers and campag cables.

Advertisement