Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite classic car?

• 16-02-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭

Well memebers of the Motors forum, what say you?
    Not referring to the cheap tax of 25 years old classic cars, but, recognised classice.

this would have to be mine... Merc 300 SL gullwing with red leather interior

1954-mercedes-benz-300-sl-gullwing-6.jpg

honourable mention to the Ferrari Dino.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's 30 years and there is a classic cars sub forum where this might gt more attention

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd have a few, but I would love one of these. Bugatti Type 35.

bugatti35new.png

There's a crowd in Argentina that build nut and bolt exact replicas of these and apparently they're great craic to drive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Wibbs wrote:
    There's a crowd in Argentina that build nut and bolt exact replicas of these and apparently they're great craic to drive.

Yes.. did you see Lenos Alfa Romeo?? Amazing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I did. Amazing yoke, fantastic engine note. Though by all accounts the Bug is by far the better car and easier to drive and more "modern" in feel. Granted Nuvolari could make the Alfa dance and made it look easy, but that's akin to God telling you "making mountains? Complete doddle".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

1959 Cadillac Coupe deVille, or a little more sensibly a Triumph Stag, complete with the delightfully terrible 3l "Slant" V8. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like the old beetles

1966_Volkswagen_Beetle_Car_100736926_e3f4633298.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I really like the TR6. It would be a most definite purchase if I were to win the lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

too many to chose from and I know nothing about the mechanics but I like the shape of the VW Karmen

Lotus Elan, the original one.

lotus_elan_71.jpg

Old cars tend to pale in the face of newer, but some are just bloody good even today. A properly sorted one of those is a cracker of a car, one of the finest rear wheel drive handling chassis ever and well able to keep up with modern stuff in the twisties. My take is, any car that makes me look like I can actually drive is a good un. If you ever get the chance, take it…

One of these.

landscape-1463500765-dsc-0807-1280x851.jpg

Cos they're insane in the membrane. If you can keep one of these in a controlled oversteer position and your name isn't Ragnotti, go to the vatican, because you're the second coming.

Speaking of insane in the membrane…

Alfa%20Romeo%20SZ%20(1).jpg

Alfa Romeo SZ. Wonderfully whacky. Like a show car prototype that actually got made. Great drivers car too and with relatively common running gear wouldn't break the bank or your heart with spares and servicing. IMH these are still "undervalued" for such a rare and unusual car that's an Alfa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Wibbs wrote: »

landscape-1463500765-dsc-0807-1280x851.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd give up both my testicles for an Alfa 2000 gtam, simply because they'd be a distraction from the satisfaction I'd get from driving one. This beauty would be raced as well :cool:
    9148237-1-36.jpg&width=150

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22723/lot/325/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

There are many, many great classic cars and I would have a serious problem if I was to select only one, as my list would be very long...

However, there are some extraordinary examples, cars that are extremely rare, made using technology way ahead of their time and extremely "unaffordable". Here is the top one of them all, the legendary Bugatti 57SC Atlantic. I wish I will once get an opportunity to see it in the real world:

1066274-1024-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Aston Martin DB5 everytime for me.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Aston Martin DB5 everytime for me.
    Don't be tempted to drive one CI. Quickly shatters the illusion. Gorgeous looking beast yes, but one that really shows the advances in running gear, suspension and steering over the years.

Another one for me in the only gorge stakes would be the Ferrari Lusso 250.

greenlusso_836.jpg

And by all accounts not such a bad drivers car even considering the vintage(and the fact Ferrari were almost never on the cusp of new tech when Enzo was still running it). Not reliable even when new apparently. Steve McQueen got so pissed off with engine trouble in his he got shot of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ferrari 330 gtc
    Audi Quattro s1 (early 1980s short wheelbase one)
    E28 m5
    E12 535i m sport

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not exotic but still hugely important, and with the right kit and driver still highly competitive over 40 years from it's launch........

5489388459_8daa283bc9_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Seweryn wrote: »
    There are many, many great classic cars and I would have a serious problem if I was to select only one, as my list would be very long...

However, there are some extraordinary examples, cars that are extremely rare, made using technology way ahead of their time and extremely "unaffordable". Here is the top one of them all, the legendary Bugatti 57SC Atlantic. I wish I will once get an opportunity to see it in the real world:

1066274-1024-1.jpg

I've seen one
    It's actually better in real life. ... (sigh)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've seen one
    Where would you get an opportunity to see one ? :eek:
    They aren't that common to say the least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

I've seen one

Is this your Bugatti? If so this one is in a place called Remise in Berlin

http://remise.de/Classic-Remise-Berlin-english-summary.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

cd3f9c0ba26d129ebd6b1467ba7e8726.jpg

Corvette C2 Stingray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Any of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

For me, it would be a Citroen DS 23 or a SM.

409519.jpg

409520.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Anyone know much about a BMW 507... I remember seeing images of it once... looked beautiful..

BMW-507-1304.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Inevitable Ae86 post :P shame so many lads can't be more creative than the usual "jap shell done uk" carry on.

b0250720_18414811.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Nuw wrote: »
    For me, it would be a Citroen DS 23 or a SM.

409519.jpg

409520.jpg

A neighbour had an SM (that they bought when it was relatively new).
    We used to get the odd lift to school in it. I was always fascinated with it.
    They still had it up until about 10-12 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

I've seen one

Is this your Bugatti? If so this one is in a place called Remise in Berlin

http://remise.de/Classic-Remise-Berlin-english-summary.php
    That's not a Bugatti, it's a one off Bentley  :)
    http://platesmania.com/uk/nomer7921135

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Many sports racing cars of the late 1960's are unsurpassably gorgeous.

Just ... look ... at ... this :eek:

409543.jpg

I saw one of these, a Porsche 910, racing in the Phoenix Park when I was a 7 year old boy. I was blown away! In my little world then, the sight, sound and speed of this car were utterly mesmerising.

409545.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

A neighbour had an SM (that they bought when it was relatively new).
    We used to get the odd lift to school in it. I was always fascinated with it.
    They still had it up until about 10-12 years ago.

For me, it was always the sound the Maserati V6 produced, especially the early ones with carburators... it just looked and sounded that little bit special, loved it to bits from the moment I saw the neighbours parking it up when I was a child. Had the chance to get a few rides in it, when he was "just taking it for a spin" on weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Does it have to be a street-legal road car?
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgtspirit.com%2Fwp-content%2Fgallery%2Fgoodwood-revival-2013-whitsun-trophy-ford-gt40%2Fford-gt40-at-goodwood-revival-12.jpg&f=1

Ford GT40
    sorry about the size...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

An E-Type. Have been lusting after them for a long time, driven one and sat in a good few of them.

jaguar-e-type-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Winterlong wrote: »
    An E-Type. Have been lusting after them for a long time, driven one and sat in a good few of them.

jaguar-e-type-01.jpg

Low Drag GT by eagle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

How far back does it have to be, to be a classic:

fu4c3157.jpg?width=1600&watermark=wm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

car_photo_321904.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

60's race cars are impressive. Jag xj13

Jaguar%20XJ13%20rear.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Cienciano wrote: »

Is that a middle steering wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

The BMW E9, AKA The Batmobile.

I saw one in pristine condition in Clontarf a few years back, it was possibly the most beautiful car I've ever laid eyes on.

Alas they're making £50K+ in the UK now.

409563.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Always had a soft spot for the Daimler Sp250 Dart

800px-Daimler_SP250_Dart_green_vr.jpg

daimler-sp250-12-05f95000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It doesn't even need the KITT-KARR conversion...

96375_Front_3-4_Web.JPG

Although, come on... still looks great...

karr.jpg

Yep, I always preferred the bad guy! Same with Transformers .. the Decepticons turned into wayy cooler stuff! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

druw9nluyf5dagfeavk5.jpg

DB4 GT Zagato.

Cienciano wrote: »

Is that a middle steering wheel?
    No, it's rhd but the sills are so strenghened, that the seats are a bit more towards the middle than usual. Here's a better picture.
    ebay144642375237460.jpg 
    The XJ13 is an interesting car: only 1 car ever produced, so essentially it's a prototype. It was never raced because it had a 5 litre V12 and by the time it was finished, the 7.0 litre Ford GT40 was out and about, and this car couldn't match it. It was crashed in 71 when it was used as an advertising gimmick at the introduction of the new Jaguar E type S3 with a V12 and stored for a good number of years. 
    mira-2.jpg
    When it was rebuilt, Jaguar said the following about the rebuild:  "The car that can be seen today is not an exact reproduction of the original." 

deandean wrote: »
    The BMW E9, AKA The Batmobile.
    /NERDmode ON/ 
    The nickname Batmobile was only used for the racing versions of the 3.0 CSL's.
    AmonChris-BMW19730708.jpg
    And the CSL with the "L" for "Leight=Light" is yet the again the rarer version of the E9 3.0 CSi, it had an alumium bootlid and bonnet and doors and some other modifications. Arond 1200 were built. Those are very rare cars, but a good solid E9 3.0CS or CSi should not set you back enormous amounts and they can easily be found. There were also 2800 CS or 2.5 CS models that are generally cheaper.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

For me its the classic shape Saab 900. With a turbo and shiny black paint job please. Love those old Saabs.

Barr wrote: »
    For me its the classic shape Saab 900. With a turbo and shiny black paint job please. Love those old Saabs.
    I'm biassed because this one's mine :D an 8 valve turbo from 1982
    588.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

That is what I am taking about. Sex on wheels :D

Ford RS2600 Capri.

ford_capri-rs2600-1970-74_r2.jpg

Talbot Lago "Teardrop"

SS-Talbot-Lago-700x450.jpg

IMHO even more elegant than the Bugatti of a very similar shape posted earlier.

Honda NSX-R

15j02d53pj0z

A supercar you could live with, though the R would likely lead to detached retinas.

Aston Martin LM19 Ulster.

canvas.jpg

Turns any driver into a cad. We need more cads.

Original Mini.

9c51c6da8d185fc1a24ba53c95f30b5d.jpg

Look up "perfect packaging" and this will be it.

Lamborghini Miura

Miura-SLIDER1-810x456.jpg

NOt exactly too reliable and high speed front end lift will make your eyes go big and round. Along with your sphincter. But just look at it.

With the doors open it references the bulls horns of the company logo.

6972259_orig.jpg

IMH few if any mid engined super cars that it spawned get within an asses roar of it's design purity.

I second almost all suggestions in this thread!!  but I am still missing a few important ones...
    Facel Vega HK500
    Facel-Vega-HK500-1959-01.jpg
    Jensen Interceptor (got back into the picture again because of a Nespresso add by Robby Williams)
    jensendej02.jpg
    and there are many more....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Always has been,always will be

123_280E_0477110307_(14wik).JPG[IMG][/img]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Joe 90

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Does it have to be a street-legal road car?
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgtspirit.com%2Fwp-content%2Fgallery%2Fgoodwood-revival-2013-whitsun-trophy-ford-gt40%2Fford-gt40-at-goodwood-revival-12.jpg&f=1

Ford GT40
    sorry about the size...
    Well, you could buy a GT40 as a street legal road car back in the day. Cheaper than a Miura if I remember.

• Advertisement
Advertisement