Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand Sure Signal with mobile broadband back end?

Options
  • 16-02-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use a Vodafone Sure Signal with a mobile broadband based Internet connection?

I've a decent 3 signal outside the house which I use for my main Internet connection (USB modem into a TP Link 4G router). Pulling 20 odd down and 8 up

The Vodafone website says the Sure Signal needs fixed line broadband to work but I've seen reports of it working over fixed wireless connections too.

So I'm hoping it may just work with a mobile broadband back end as well? 

Also, has anyone had any success using a second hand Sure Signal? Did the original owner have to de register or something before you could use it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vodafone dont support it outside of fixed line connections, but it does work. Jitter on traditional cellular will be slightly higher than Imagines LTE but still well within useable.

Remember Vodafone have to reg your mobile numbers onto the femtocell(sure signal) so you can use it so ensure 2nd hand use is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

ED E wrote: »
    Vodafone dont support it outside of fixed line connections, but it does work. Jitter on traditional cellular will be slightly higher than Imagines LTE but still well within useable.

Remember Vodafone have to reg your mobile numbers onto the femtocell(sure signal) so you can use it so ensure 2nd hand use is allowed.

Thanks for that Mr E

Second hand use appears to be allowed in the UK but not so much here.

AFAIK the owner can just add my numbers via an email to VF from a page on their website - wouldn't mind confirmation of that from someone though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

long_b wrote: »
    Thanks for that Mr E

Second hand use appears to be allowed in the UK but not so much here.

AFAIK the owner can just add my numbers via an email to VF from a page on their website - wouldn't mind confirmation of that from someone though?

Occasionally we have friends staying at our house for a while and we get Vodafone to add their numbers to the register. They have to be Vodafone customers and on a 3G capable handset. The residential Femto (Sure Signal) supports up to 5 registered users.

Open to correction, but have been told bu Vodafone UK that the residential Femtos are effectively the same piece of kit as their business Femtos. The business Femtos, for which they charge a higher rental, allow free roaming of Vodafone customers. The residential ones are simply restricted through configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm surprised 3 Ireland haven't released something like this given all the issues people have with signal strength and quality (particularly indoors) since the O2 takeover.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm surprised 3 Ireland haven't released something like this given all the issues people have with signal strength and quality (particularly indoors) since the O2 takeover.

Three Ireland have had massive problems integrating the O2 network.
    Plus, it's taken them way longer than expected to switch to their own Core network from Three UK's.
    There was a Data Centre failure in the last 2 years.
    They have a fundamental problem retaining key staff due to a limit on the duration of contracts.
    I think that indoor coverage is low down their priority list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    O2 used to offer it but it was on a one-to-one basis and it was for business customers only.

I imagine Three are probably restricted in openly offering Femtocells from a PR point of view here - they offer them openly in the UK for example.

After all they were paid a not insignificant amount of Government and EU funding under the last iteration of the National Broadband Scheme which was supposed to bring high speed data connectivity countrywide.

Launching a femtocell is admitting their network simply isn't up to scratch to provide voice, text and data everywhere (despite the NBS funding) and that you essentially have to rely on a third party provider for a solid data connection to provide backhaul for their mobile service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

Also - to answer OP (got a little distracted above :) )

There's a post on the Vodafone forum from about two years back stating you CANNOT transfer ownership to someone else, you must go and purchase your own:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057341730

Not sure if the stance has changed since however.

Also not sure even if you were to carry on with the original owner if it will stay active, or if they can continue to update it for you? After all they are presumably no longer an active Vodafone customer...

PAKNET wrote: »
    Launching a femtocell is admitting their network simply isn't up to scratch to provide voice, text and data everywhere (despite the NBS funding) and that you essentially have to rely on a third party provider for a solid data connection to provide backhaul for their mobile service!

Are operators obliged by the regulator to meet minimum percentages for coverage indoors?
    I always thought it referred to outdoors only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

PAKNET wrote: »

Also not sure even if you were to carry on with the original owner if it will stay active, or if they can continue to update it for you? After all they are presumably no longer an active Vodafone customer...
    Great point, hadn't thought of that. They may get disabled if they're linked to the phone number.

Advertisement