Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling protest Wednesday 22/2/2017

Options
  • 16-02-2017 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Next Wednesday lunchtime, departing from Department of Transport Leeson Lane at 1pm cyclist protestors seeking allocation of funds for cycling infrastructure will cycle to Leinster House. Come on!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm fairly sure there's already a thread about this and some have complained about the timing, but others have said there'll be more later.

Make it a protest about Enda, Fitzgerald, Zappone, O'Sullivan and you might get thousands on board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Damn! If there is a thread, could mods merge? My thread-searching skills have left me this week.

If people don't want to protest to demand decent cycleways a couple of days after a cyclist was killed by a car, if they feel politics is more important, well, that's their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Chuchote wrote: »

If people don't want to protest to demand decent cycleways a couple of days after a cyclist was killed by a car, if they feel politics is more important, well, that's their business.

is this your way of encouraging people to go? Passive aggressiveness always wins sympathy.

is this your way of encouraging people to go? Passive aggressiveness always wins sympathy.

Your interpretation. My statement is that if people prefer to demonstrate over government andrewmartins, fine; if they care about cycling infrastructure let them get out on the protest, and at a time when someone's been killed, it's particularly off to start dragging in Kenny, Zappone et al.

I'm sorry, but whatever investment gets put in is highly unlikely to prevent tragedies such as Sundays. It was a rural/Regiomal r road, the kind that is not going to come under the attention or auspices of these protests as they are necessarily focused on urban and suburban cvle routes for the moment.

using it for this cause is incredibly callous and out of order if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Your interpretation. My statement is that if people prefer to demonstrate over government andrewmartins, fine; if they care about cycling infrastructure let them get out on the protest, and at a time when someone's been killed, it's particularly off to start dragging in Kenny, Zappone et al.

Hasn't done anything to change my interpretation. Judgement of others' political priorities won't help encourage support for your own campaign, nor will trying to capitalise on a tragedy that is not necessarily connected to a demand for cycleways

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Protest needs to happen at a time when people can attend. Might get a few 100 out but could get thousands if done right.

Lose the father Ted approach and think outside the box.

Hint : Thousand of cyclist in all the cities in Ireland going about their business in rush hour morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there may not be a government to protest to by the time this happens. one half of me is hoping there isn't. the other half of me dreads what might replace it.

there may not be a government to protest to by the time this happens. one half of me is hoping there isn't. the other half of me dreads what might replace it.

Doesn't matter, the people will vote the same snakes in again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, ireland wants change. we want different snakes this time. though the same old snakes really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Protest needs to happen at a time when people can attend. Might get a few 100 out but could get thousands if done right.

Lose the father Ted approach and think outside the box.

Hint : Thousand of cyclist in all the cities in Ireland going about their business in rush hour morning.

Are you suggesting the protest should take place during morning rush hour? Because it's more convenient for attendees than lunchtime? Or to purposely antagonise every other road user?

Moflojo wrote: »
    Are you suggesting the protest should take place during morning rush hour? Because it's more convenient for attendees than lunchtime? Or to purposely antagonise every other road user?

I am saying to get attention in Ireland you got to make a statement. So far it's not getting attention.

Water rates protests, taxis, bus drivers etc all made a statement

Isn't there supposed to be a rule about not attacking posters? Or thanking people who do?

Isn't there supposed to be a rule about not attacking posters? Or thanking people who do?

There's a button there to report me. Feel free to do so. I feel your post was needlessly attacking those who felt they had other priorities. Your defence to that was unconvincing.

But, I think I'm best leaving you be at this point. Mods have enough to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Damn! If there is a thread, could mods merge? My thread-searching skills have left me this week.

Must agree with others about your use of Sundays terrible tragedy in order to try to muster support for this protest, which is in no way related. Either you are being extremely cynical or haven't thought through your post. Hope its the latter.

Interpretation of my motives is completely wrong.

I've probably been at more demonstrations than you've had hot dinners. Damn a bit of good most of them did; 100,000 people marched in Dublin against the war in Iraq and it didn't save one Iraqi or American life; proportional numbers marched against the war in Vietnam, ditto; there have been many, many political marches against this government and all they do is let out their corsets and chuckle and have some more truffles and champagne.

No, my point was that whataboutery - "why should we be protesting for decent cycling infrastructure while politics are so awful" - is particularly stupid at a time when someone's just been killed cycling, another casualty in a few months when they've been horrific.

I don't think the anti-austerity protests (several of which I've marched on) or similar protests work well, because they are too generalised.

A protest cycle, however, is likely to get a result because it's targeted, and the thing we want is simple, and relatively easily provided, and will be popular - who doesn't want cyclists in their own space?

My intention wasn't to use the death of a cyclist; I was expressing my own shock that people wouldn't bother their barney to go out and protest for separated cycleways and proper infrastructure, even when someone has been killed in the same week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Judging her posts, Chuchote is not cynical at all. She's, I think, a very valued contributor here, and very passionate about cycling advocacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The government ignores massive protests about far bigger issues than this so my opinion is that it's an absolute waste of time and energy even thinking about having this protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Interpretation of my motives is completely wrong.

I've probably been at more demonstrations than you've had hot dinners.

I'm thinking not.

Not a great start to a motivational whatever.

#hastagjustsaying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Judging her posts, Chuchote is not cynical at all. She's, I think, a very valued contributor here, and very passionate about cycling advocacy.

Agreed. Although there's people trying to crow-bar cynicism from her post and get fashionably offended, it's not cynical.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Agreed. Although there's people trying to crow-bar cynicism from her post and get fashionably offended, it's not cynical.

They use of Sundays tragedy for this campaign is a bit cynical if you ask me. They're unrelated.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    i would agree wholeheartedly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Thread locked. There's already one open about this topic.

Please don't restart this on the other thread. Bear in mind that plenty of people here were clubmates of the young woman. Bit of sensitivity please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement