Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to lose a small gut

• 16-02-2017 1:33pm
    Site Banned Posts: 17

Hi guys

Looking to lose a small gut in time for summer - clearly brought about by years of nocturnal drinking excess.

32, male, 6ft 2, 14 stone at the moment.

Daily intake wise-

Breakfast

Black Coffee
    Banana

Lunch

4 eggs scrambled
    Low fat yoghurt
    Spinach and Kale homemade smoothie

Dinner

Plain chicken breast (no sauce)
    5 baby potatoes (plain)
    portion of baked beans

Snack -

Bowl of Corn Flakes

1 night a week I would drink - 8 or 9 Coors Light

Exercise wise I go to the gym 5 mornings a week - at the moment I only work on the treadmill - spend about 25 minutes on it running 7 kilometers every morning before work

Been doing this for a month, the diet and exercise hasnt made a difference

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You're not (or only marginally) overweight.

You may have better luck strengthening your core. Weights or exercise such as planks may be better for this.

To add, that's a significant amount of sugar you're putting into your system when "binge" drinking or as we Irish call it a few scoops at the weekend. Even if "light".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Doesn't look anywhere enough cals from food, loose the beer and eat a proper diet.
    Did something similar last August, in the end I was eating 2000 cals a day and continuing to loose a lb per week.

Oh and forget the treadmill, take a hiit class.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Drop the bowl of cornflakes.

What's in the spinach and kale smoothie aside from spinach and kale? Or do you just have the worst smoothie known to mankind?

• Site Banned Posts: 17 FM Regen

Lol Spinach, Kale, a banana, some Almond milk and a couple of spoonfuls of 0% fat yoghurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

FM Regen wrote: »
    Hi guys

Looking to lose a small gut in time for summer - clearly brought about by years of nocturnal drinking excess.

32, male, 6ft 2, 14 stone at the moment.

Daily intake wise-

Breakfast

Black Coffee
    Banana

Lunch

4 eggs scrambled
    Low fat yoghurt
    Spinach and Kale homemade smoothie

Dinner

Plain chicken breast (no sauce)
    5 baby potatoes (plain)
    portion of baked beans

Snack -

Bowl of Corn Flakes

1 night a week I would drink - 8 or 9 Coors Light

Exercise wise I go to the gym 5 mornings a week - at the moment I only work on the treadmill - spend about 25 minutes on it running 7 kilometers every morning before work

Been doing this for a month, the diet and exercise hasnt made a difference

Is that time right 7km in 25 mins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

glic83 wrote: »
    Is that time right 7km in 25 mins?

Unlikely but it's a moot point tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Unlikely but it's a moot point tbf

I was going to say that pace was way too fast if he is trying to lose weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You're not (or only marginally) overweight.
    You've no way to know that based on the info posted tbh, or at least seeing a photo.
    glic83 wrote: »
    I was going to say that pace was way too fast if he is trying to lose weight
    Running at too fast a pace isn't going to prevent weight loss.
    Total expenditure is what matters, not exercising only in the fat burn zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

To add, that's a significant amount of sugar you're putting into your system when "binge" drinking

I would really like to know where this "alcoholic drinks are full of sugar" myth came from, especially considering that they're not sweet in the slightest. There is functionally no sugar in beer, the calories come from alcohol.
    Mellor wrote: »
    You've no way to know that based on the info posted tbh, or at least seeing a photo.

Well, we know is BMI is 25.2, which is just about touching the overweight side of things. And he did say "small gut" rather than "muscle-free skeleton draped in flab". So yeah, I think it's safe to say he's only barely overweight, medically speaking.

Based on BMI, which can be calculated based on the info given.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    There is functionally no sugar in beer, the calories come from alcohol.

Yeah - I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bladespin wrote:
    Doesn't look anywhere enough cals from food.

It also looks like the world's most deathly boring diet. Plain everything. Virtually no fruit or veg. No variety or actual dishes, just plates of individual foodstuffs.

Change it up a bit, OP. Make curries, chillies, salads, soups, stews.

It never ceases to amaze me how deathly boring a lot of the meal plans people post here are. Eating clean doesn't just mean a piece of meat with a bit of veg on the side seven days a week.

Well, we know is BMI is 25.2, which is just about touching the overweight side of things. And he did say "small gut" rather than "muscle-free skeleton draped in flab". So yeah, I think it's safe to say he's only barely overweight, medically speaking.
    I'm not disagreeing with the barely part. Im saying that if he wants to lose a gut, then he is probably slightly overweight, and isn't "not overweight". He'll have a better idea than somebody looking at his BMI online.
    Based on BMI, which can be calculated based on the info given.
    BMI is intended for populations, not individuals.
    A BMI under 25 doesn't guarantee that you aren't realistically overweight. It's a good indicator sure, but it's not uncommon to be under 25 and still have a belly to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

BMI is intended for populations, not individuals.
    A BMI under 25 doesn't guarantee that you aren't realistically overweight. It's a good indicator sure, but it's not uncommon to be under 25 and still have a belly to lose.

You're kind of mixing up weight and composition, though. If your BMI is 25+ then you're overweight, but if you've high muscle mass and low bodyfat you are an exception to that being a problem. That's the specific exception; it doesn't undermine the value of the system.

BMI is certainly used for individuals, that is why a doctor will use it when assessing a patient. It just shouldn't be mindlessly applied.

You're kind of mixing up weight and composition, though. If your BMI is 25+ then you're overweight, but if you've high muscle mass and low bodyfat you are an exception to that being a problem. That's the specific exception; it doesn't undermine the value of the system.

BMI is certainly used for individuals, that is why a doctor will use it when assessing a patient. It just shouldn't be mindlessly applied.
    When people talk about being overweight or losing weight, is generally understood that they are talking about fat not pure body weight. Sonebody could be "normal" BMI but still overweight from a health point of view.

I'm aware it is used for individuals by doctors/nurses but it shouldn't be. It's was developed for population statistics not individual health assessment.

A huge bodybuilder is an obvious exception. But it's not a case that just stops applying one day.. How to you assess a bit of muscle?
    If your 12%bf and I'm 18%bf. We are both held to the same range for "normal". Which makes little sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Eat more for breakfast.
    Cut out the cereal with milk
    Cut out the alcohol

Best way to learn how to eat is to join slimming world

Wesser wrote: »

You're advocating a guy that's only got a small issue (and I still think it is best treated with exercise) should join Sliming world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes I am.
    That is my advice.
    It's an open forum where anyone can offer advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Would slimming w even accept him? It'd be a bit pointless tbh

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Wesser wrote: »
    I disagree.
    The SW approach is very biased towards lowfat dieting. It's flawed and out of date stuff.

You're entitled to your opinion of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Bodycoachie

I always go for a high carb breakfast, bowl of porridge etc. Avoid those processed cereals, they do no good, and just keep it clean. Download myfitnesspal to keep track of your calorie intake, its a fantastic app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bodycoachie

Slimming world is really not the best option, its very poor advice in a lot of cases and has a high return weight as people put the weight back on as soon as they stop working with slimming world

Advertisement