Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avid export settings

• 16-02-2017 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭

So I'm going along with life, doing a lot of editing work and it's usually good. And clients are happy, but I still feel I could learn a lot more. I'm currently on the latest version of Media Composer and I have some questions about export settings.

I usually export a standard h.264 .mov for web video, with the highest quality options ticked. Can't say I understand too much about the key frame and frame reordering settings. Or if I should use RGB or ycbr-whatever. So does any one have any advice? What are the best export settings for quality web video and reasonable file sizes?

Secondly, what export settings should I use if, hypothetically, I want to re-import the finished video back into avid to work on it, but not lose any quality?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem with exporting for internet is that once you upload it to the likes of youtube they'll just compress it again with their own format.

So I wouldn't worry too much about getting it right for internet. Just get it looking good, if you have a decent upload speed size shouldn't be too much of an issue, let it be big and let youtube worry about compressing it.

I'm on fairly old software now, hopefully it's a bit easier but from what I remember it's a dark art, there are loads of settings to mess with and messing with them only makes things worse. I reckon you could get a substantial book that deals just with compression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

ScumLord wrote: »
    The problem with exporting for internet is that once you upload it to the likes of youtube they'll just compress it again with their own format.

So I wouldn't worry too much about getting it right for internet. Just get it looking good, if you have a decent upload speed size shouldn't be too much of an issue, let it be big and let youtube worry about compressing it.

I'm on fairly old software now, hopefully it's a bit easier but from what I remember it's a dark art, there are loads of settings to mess with and messing with them only makes things worse. I reckon you could get a substantial book that deals just with compression.
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just looking for export settings that will produce good quality without taking the piss file size wise. I've been using DNXHD this week for files I want to bring back into avid. Huge sizes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Chase3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just looking for export settings that will produce good quality without taking the piss file size wise. I've been using DNXHD this week for files I want to bring back into avid. Huge sizes though.
    To be honest I gave up in frustration and just used the divx converter software. I'd just set everything to maximum in premiere then use the divx converter to convert it into something internet friendly.

http://www.divx.com/en/software/converter/features

Advertisement