Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dealing with dogs death

• 16-02-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

I'm so down since I put him to sleep last week everything I do I end up just thinking about him again he was 11 years a lab

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm so sorry, it's so hard.

If he was put to sleep because he was suffering, then really, you did absolutely the right thing for him.

For me, I find it comforting to have lots of photo's around.

He'll always be with you.

Be kind to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

So sorry to hear that Biggebruv - must be heartbreaking - i've not had to go through it yet but dreading the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

So very sorry for your loss.

You've probably read this before, but I will leave it here:

The Last Battle
    If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    and pain should keep me from my sleep
    Then you must do what must be done,
    For this - the last battle - can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
    Don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
    What is to come can hold no fears
    You'd not want me to suffer, so
    When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where to my needs they'll tend,
    Where they are with me to the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve to much, it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do
    We've been so close - we two - these years
    Don't let your heart hold many tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Could you get another one to replace him? I did that when my dog died and it helped a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Of course you're feeling grief stricken, you've lost your best pal. Allow yourself time to grieve, it will take as long as it takes, it's different for everyone.

As someone said above, be kind to yourself, it can hit as hard as losing a human member of the family and that's ok too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

So sorry for your loss :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Sorry for your loss OP
    I remember a few years back when we had to put down our Springer Spaniel ... very sad.

I really find this touching and actually helped me grieve ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sorry to hear about your loss, it is never easy

Screen-Shot-2014-09-08-at-15.22.00-e1410186150549.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Could you get another one to replace him? I did that when my dog died and it helped a lot

I'm definitely thinking about it but need abit more time I think

how long did you wait before you got another puppy?

thanks everyone today was the first day were I started feeling a little bit happier as the day went on :) I have his pics on my phone reminding me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

As someone said above, be kind to yourself, it can hit as hard as losing a human member of the family and that's ok too

When I lost my dogs, it hit me worse than when I lost family members. I feel for the op.

• Advertisement

biggebruv wrote:
    how long did you wait before you got another puppy?

After losing my 2 dogs, I couldn't face getting another for about 2 years. Best thing I did though. My new dog needed a loving home so I feel that I've done something good, for her and me.

biggebruv wrote:
    thanks everyone today was the first day were I started feeling a little bit happier as the day went on I have his pics on my phone reminding me

There's nothing wrong with having a little cry when you look at those pics. I still do with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

myshirt wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your loss, it is never easy

Screen-Shot-2014-09-08-at-15.22.00-e1410186150549.jpeg

That is heartbreaking :( but so touching too.

On getting another dog - sure but I think it's best to allow time to grieve for a dog and not get another too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

OP how you feel is exactly the same way as myself any a lot of other people felt when they go through this. He is going to come into your mind quite a lot over the next few weeks and that's likely to upset you but over time it eases. For me the worst part I have to say was the silence around the house, particularly at night. Not hearing his feet scratching the floor or even if I woke up in the middle of the night not hearing him breathing, instead total silence. All I can say to you is that over time is does get easier. Two years on I remember that day as clearly as it was yesterday. From knowing deep inside me that morning that things were not good to a few hours later getting that call from the vets telling us there was nothing they could do and losing him in another few hours.

I would caution against getting a new one so quickly. You need to process your loss for a couple of weeks because you don't want your new dog to be a replacement for the one you have lost. Getting a puppy or not is entirely up to you. I would if it was me but there's no right or wrong answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Gael23 wrote: »
    OP how you feel is exactly the same way as myself any a lot of other people felt when they go through this. He is going to come into your mind quite a lot over the next few weeks and that's likely to upset you but over time it eases. For me the worst part I have to say was the silence around the house, particularly at night. Not hearing his feet scratching the floor or even if I woke up in the middle of the night not hearing him breathing, instead total silence. All I can say to you is that over time is does get easier. Two years on I remember that day as clearly as it was yesterday. From knowing deep inside me that morning that things were not good to a few hours later getting that call from the vets telling us there was nothing they could do and losing him in another few hours.

I would caution against getting a new one so quickly. You need to process your loss for a couple of weeks because you don't want your new dog to be a replacement for the one you have lost. Getting a puppy or not is entirely up to you. I would if it was me but there's no right or wrong answer to that.

thank you making this thread has actually cheered me up a bit:)

I'm coping a lot better now this week I keep his collar hanging on the side of the headboard with some pics it helps a alot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

It will be 4 years in April since I lost my lab, as has been said before time heals the pain and the sadness will be replaced by the great memories you had. I still miss my Sam now, don't think that will ever go away and still get the feels when I see posts like this. Let yourself heal before you make any decision OP, I still haven't got another dog, but will.

Advertisement