Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun license?

Options
  • 16-02-2017 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Hi , iM just wondering if I send in my forms for gun licence how long doese it take to get anythin back ? Also iv been told you need a safe and you don't need a safe for just one rifle at home ? Anyone know the story about this ? I have Guns bought and they are kept in a club so just want to know what's the story with the licence and form an the lot ? Ovo I know I safe is best but I don't want to go get one an pay all the money if don't get the licence . So could I just wait and see if I do get it keep gun In the club and then get the safe installed or what's best ?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Seller159 wrote: »
    Hi , iM just wondering if I send in my forms for gun licence how long doese it take to get anythin back ? Also iv been told you need a safe and you don't need a safe for just one rifle at home ? Anyone know the story about this ? I have Guns bought and they are kept in a club so just want to know what's the story with the licence and form an the lot ? Ovo I know I safe is best but I don't want to go get one an pay all the money if don't get the licence . So could I just wait and see if I do get it keep gun In the club and then get the safe installed or what's best ?

Thank you in advance

You need a safe if you have a rifle or handgun. You don't need a safe for one single shotgun only. You should have the safe installed before you send away your application forms as the form asks if you have complied with the safe storage regulations.

Storing the guns at the range is OK until you need to travel to other ranges for competitions.

Nobody can tell you how long it will take to get word back after applying. Usually it can be anything from a few weeks to three months. Sometimes it can take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

To add to what BattleCorp has said, once you submit your application the Garda may want to come out and check your safe if one is required, as mentioned above only time it isn't required is for one shotgun.
    Buy your safe if required and get it securely bolted to a solid wall in your house, prior to application going in, whether your application is successful after that is another days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

If you have a gun, you should have a gunsafe. The fact you don't need one when you only have a single shotgun, is a result of the IFA chucking their weight around and getting their own way. So when you next read of a shoot-out on a halting site and you wonder where the guns came from, the answer is easy, an isolated farmhouse and a gun not being in a safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

If cost is a factor (and we all appreciate that money doesn't grow on trees) then try putting a post up here on Boards and see if anyone has a 2nd hand safe for sale. You may well find someone is getting out of the sport, or perhaps wanting to upgrade to a larger safe and might be willing to sell their existing safe at a reasonable price.

Best of luck with the application. If you are a member of a club, that should help you get your approval as it demonstrates a genuine reason for wanting to hold a firearm licence.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

hi,
    its a rifle that i have bought already. just i i have not got my licence for it yet and wasnt sure if to install a safe yet until i get one? what if i dont get it and then am stuck wit safe for no reason ? i thought id keep it in the club for until i get the liecnce then install a safe ? or would not having my own safe prevent me from getting a licnece ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

If cost is a factor (and we all appreciate that money doesn't grow on trees) then try putting a post up here on Boards and see if anyone has a 2nd hand safe for sale. You may well find someone is getting out of the sport, or perhaps wanting to upgrade to a larger safe and might be willing to sell their existing safe at a reasonable price.

Best of luck with the application. If you are a member of a club, that should help you get your approval as it demonstrates a genuine reason for wanting to hold a firearm licence.

hi, yeah its that i dont want to spend 250 euro + and then end up with a loss if the licence does not come trough. yeah i could do maybe be better and then if get the licence and more fire arms could upgrade the safe maybe.

thanks very much apprecatie it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Seller159 wrote: »
    hi,
    its a rifle that i have bought already. just i i have not got my licence for it yet and wasnt sure if to install a safe yet until i get one? what if i dont get it and then am stuck wit safe for no reason ? i thought id keep it in the club for until i get the liecnce then install a safe ? or would not having my own safe prevent me from getting a licnece ?

You only need a gun safe in your house if you intend to store the rifle in your house.

If the club will let you permanently store your gun in a safe on their premises, then that's fine, you don't need your own safe because you are using theirs. Just remember that if you bring the gun home with you for the night and don't have a safe, you are breaking the secure storage regulations.

Have you sent away the paperwork for your licence yet? If you are storing the gun at the club full time, you should put in a letter with your application stating that the gun will be stored in the safe at your club.

You should easily get a cheap second hand gun safe for about €100 or less. I bought one for €40 here on boards about a year ago.

Advertisement