Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasses+Sunglasses

Options
  • 16-02-2017 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Simple question. I want to get prescription glasses and pair of prescription sunglasses at the same time. I was quoted €600 for just reactions sunglasses at one of the indep. retailers in galway. After talking to friends, this is rather excessive.

Anyone have opinions on places ( i assume the chain retailers ) in Galway that offer value and quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I use Specsavers here in Dublin (sure they must be in Galway too) - they have frames (including normal lens) up to €199 and as low as €49 so suit yourself by style etc and 2 for 1.

Good price for Sunglasses too and not sure if in the 2 for 1 but certainly can get money off voucher to use against them in future.

Of course, a lot depends on your lenses - perhaps if they are complex this is driving the price up, it is hard to imagine a independent and a chain being that much apart...

If in Specsavers strongly consider whether you want anti glare coating etc - it all adds unnecessarily to the base cost.

Found the quality, service etc of Specsavers to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.richardhughesopticians.ie
    www.barnaopticians.ie
    have been recommended here before

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

thebiglad wrote: »
    I use Specsavers here in Dublin (sure they must be in Galway too) - they have frames (including normal lens) up to €199 and as low as €49 so suit yourself by style etc and 2 for 1.

Good price for Sunglasses too and not sure if in the 2 for 1 but certainly can get money off voucher to use against them in future.

Of course, a lot depends on your lenses - perhaps if they are complex this is driving the price up, it is hard to imagine a independent and a chain being that much apart...

If in Specsavers strongly consider whether you want anti glare coating etc - it all adds unnecessarily to the base cost.

Found the quality, service etc of Specsavers to be good.
    Prominent position in Eyre Square shopping centre and a new smaller place in the Headford Road S.C.
    If you know your prescription and the price is right then no harm in using them. Vision Express are on Shop Street as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Would only use Specsavers if you really have to. They tend to be very good at selling you things you do not need, from my own experience and from since dealing with other opticians. Your choice though.

Have used Specsavers for years. I wear varifocals and get a pair of sunglasses as the buy one get one free deal, just pay the difference for the tint. Last years duo cost me just under €350, but I did opt for the upper end frames! Check their website for prices and offers. A friend got a pair of reading glasses for €29, including test after using one of their free test vouchers. You download a code and use it when paying. (Cannot be used with Medical Card or PRSI)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

It's the prescription lenses in the sunglasses that will really cost you. Not all sunglass frames will take prescription lenses and some of the premium brands have ridiculous prices if they do. The frames are only a fraction of the price. I picked out a frame I liked in VisionExpress in Galway. Can't remember what brand but one of the well known ones. Optician looked up the price with prescription lenses and said 760 euro. I actually laughed. She was showing me some prices of 1000+ she was laughing herself. Hard to find good value on this in my experience, independents or multiples.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There is an offer for free reactions treatment on your glasses in Specsavers atm if you pay a minimum of 89 euro on your frames and depending upon your prescription.

Free reactions if you pay these minimum amounts on these type of prescriptions:

Single vision Reactions glasses
    from €89

Bifocal Reactions glasses
    from €138

Varifocal Reactions glasses
    from €144

https://www.specsavers.ie/offers/free-reactions

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

I know this is online and not in Galway, but www.zennioptical.com are very decently priced and have some very good pairs. Only real downside is you can't try them on, but you can get a pair of reactions sunglasses for around ~85 euro including delivery which isn't bad. A lot better than 600

Advertisement