Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 5 Series Estate 2012 - Buy or leave

Options
  • 16-02-2017 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 5 Series M Sport late 2011/2012 Estate with approx 100k miles. Reading up on the timing chain issue should I avoid this car? I would be buying in the UK and bringing back Ireland. Including VRT etc the car should come in about 20/21K, is this too dear or am I better going for an A6 estate with similar millage?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Look for a build date from March/April 2011 on wards if you're going for the N47 engine, this is when they made the improvements to the timing chain Tensioners, the issue dramatically reduced after this build date.

You'll get a VERY nice touring for €21k, the spec & choice you have in the UK is miles ahead of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Xenon headlights, automatic, widescreen display and heated seats are the essentials you should be looking for. 530d would be ideal too if there is not much of a price difference over a 520d.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I did a fair bit of digging myself lately on that subject.

The timing chain thing is a bit of an internet phenomenon. Not saying this issue does not exist but the internet multiplies it. It's not like N47s are exploding everywhere. Not even pre 2011 ones.
    But yes it would be prudent to look up that stuff on bimmerforum. IIRC from late 2011 onwards you're pretty safe.

If you're looking at late 2011 and early 2012 you should be able to keep it under 20k, too. Especially 2011 as there is 800 or 900 coming off the vrt each year when looking at 13, 12, 11.
    Resist to go for the loaded to the rooftops sport thingy. There is a fair risk it was driven sporty possibly mapped. Go for the reasonably loaded pensioners car. Sport suspension/gear box sounds great but who needs that really going to work and ferrying the little one to the camogie?

You should stay easily under 20k that way.

Myself I ended up with a 2013 3 series instead. The 5 was just such a huge car. Like the actual size I mean. I'd need a driveway extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Resist to go for the loaded to the rooftops sport thingy. There is a fair risk it was driven sporty possibly mapped. Go for the reasonably loaded pensioners car. Sport suspension/gear box sounds great but who needs that really going to work and ferrying the little one to the camogie?

?

I agree with the timing chain thing, it's certainly blown out of proportion for the F10/F11 but make sure the service history is bullet proof and the build is late 2011 and you'll be fine.

I plan on changing the oil every 8k miles and I'm also aware of letting the turbo cool after long/hard runs.

With regards to not going for "loaded sport thingys" - Go for the best spec you can get, in the spec you want. I've often found that "sport" models are owned by enthusiasts who look after them religiously, and the SE/Base spec are used by people who don't care and do the very basic servicing/care.

Set up an Autotrader account and save 2/3 searches with different price/engine etc, run them everyday and you'll get to know the price/spec that is out there and you'll know when "your" car comes up.

I spent almost 3 months doing that and found my dream 525d Touring in Jan, it took a while but I got the exact spec I was looking for.

Here is a nice car for example, spec is high(ish)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701121243155?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=w1a1aa&year-from=2011&body-type=Estate&sort=year-desc&model=5%20SERIES&aggregatedTrim=525d&price-from=10000&price-to=15000&year-to=2013&transmission=Automatic&maximum-mileage=90000&make=BMW&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Digiman100

Thanks lads, kinda what I was thinking.

rabbitinlights, can you send me that link again as it's not opening up for me.
    Also is auto trader the best site to keeping an eye out on or is there other ones with more options, better choice?

Thanks again

G.

Link

AutoTrader has the biggest choice, most garages use it and you're likely to be buying from a garage rather private.

When speaking to a garage, also get them to confirm the Co2 that's printed on the V5 document, this is what will determine the VRT % (19, 23 or 27%)

Any movements on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Art2013

I have a 2011 F11 yes the timing chain is an issue on the pre march 2011...apparently it was fixed after march..however I have been told that this is not set in stone...the guides are the problem..the chain scrapes across these when the tolerances change..and wear happens and eventually ...well you know the rest.. .The Chain which is tucked right into the rear of the engine can't be accessed without taking out the engine so the job is expensive...what prolongs the cars chain is to use the correct engine oil (always) 0W30 BMW a must.....BMWlonglife04 I was quoted 1400 to do the job..crossing my fingers she will keep going .. apparently when you start the engine from cold you can hear the scraping sound..i can't but a good mechanic who fixes these will be able to tell you if the chain is scraping...try that first...then if not sure and worried ...BMW do what the call a tolerance test on the chain ..which costs but might put your mind at ease.

.I have another issue with this model which I am looking for help on ...

.. I parked on a kerb ( left front and rear wheels only) When I came off the kerb the car's air suspension (two rear air suspensions) would not self level. I had the car plugged into a computer but instead of resetting by deflating the rear air bags to correct height they increased in height! The BMW service centre had to manually let the air out of each, as they too could not get it down by their computer.. but now after a day the suspension looks high again and the self levelling light came on once more...can you tell me what is going on? is the compressor the fault here or is it something else? I don't have a leak in the airbags. any help here would be much appreciated, so I know what is going on...Is the compressor blocked with dirt so the air can't get out to self level? can it be cleaned ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

You can tell the March 2011 onwards builds easily as they've front seat heating as standard as well as sport button beside the standard auto stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 tweaf1

Re: timing chain, i thought it was overhyped as well until dealer advised me that it required replacement on our 2013 X3 18d with 66,000 kms.

Advertisement