Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im a cancer survivor - Now I want to cycle for charity?

Options
  • 16-02-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Everyone,

I recently got the all clear from surviving cancer and now I want to give back to a charity who helped me out so much.

I want to get involved in a cycle in ireland in july, August or september and raise funds for my chosen charity.

Could people here suggest what cycle I could do. Im from Dublin, fairly fit and wouldnt mind if it was between 80 and 150km. or over 2 or 3 days.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kieran

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fair play. Great Dublin Bike Ride might be the ticket. It's not too tough at all and is on normally second weekend of September. Meath Heritage tour is on a few weeks earlier too. There's dozens and dozens to choose from though of varying degrees of seriousness and for all capabilities.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I was in a similar position to yourself and did this one last year. Great event, but may be a bit earlier than you were planning.

http://www.supportstjames.ie/2017-wicklow-mountains-cycle-challenge/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 glenners08

Weepsie wrote: »
    Fair play. Great Dublin Bike Ride might be the ticket. It's not too tough at all and is on normally second weekend of September. Meath Heritage tour is on a few weeks earlier too. There's dozens and dozens to choose from though of varying degrees of seriousness and for all capabilities.

Best of luck

Thanks so much. Defo going to look to do this. No information on their page for 2017 dates. Thanks

jimm wrote: »
    I was in a similar position to yourself and did this one last year. Great event, but may be a bit earlier than you were planning.

http://www.supportstjames.ie/2017-wicklow-mountains-cycle-challenge/

Thanks for the information Jimm. Did you have to fundraise for St james hospital only? Did you have to raise a certain amount?

I was a patient of the Mater Hospital and Arc centre helped me out so I would like to cycle for ARC Centre. you reckon its possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Are you in a club OP?

Would you consider doing a 3 /4 day Mizen To Malin or the like? Logistics are not simple or cheap but with a club onboard an volunteers to drive van/minibus etc and with proper use of social media it attracts attention. It'll assist with fundraisers other than cycle also.

Book ahead and possible to get great value on accommodation etc.

IME experience people are immediately receptive to lending a hand to cancer charities.

Best of luck either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

glenners08 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I recently got the all clear from surviving cancer and now I want to give back to a charity who helped me out so much.

I want to get involved in a cycle in ireland in july, August or september and raise funds for my chosen charity.

Could people here suggest what cycle I could do. Im from Dublin, fairly fit and wouldnt mind if it was between 80 and 150km. or over 2 or 3 days.

Kieran

Check our materfoundation.ie

May not be quiet the focus you want but will be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Thanks for the information Jimm. Did you have to fundraise for St james hospital only? Did you have to raise a certain amount?

I was a patient of the Mater Hospital and Arc centre helped me out so I would like to cycle for ARC Centre. you reckon its possible?

Hey glenn,

The mater foundation are involved with the Great dublin bike ride each year with sponsor packs etc. Give them a shout first (x) amount of competitors get some mater foundation jersey etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Hi Everyone,

Kieran

Well done. Hopefully not rude, but might I suggest if you are raising awareness around the cycle and looking for donations, you could also include the importance of donating blood and or platelets. It's a great alternative to those who cannot afford to give money to charity and is so important in cancer treatment.

Congratulations on your results and well done for giving back. You're doing a wonderful thing. Please post links to your donation page when you've got everything organised, I'd be happy to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Well done Glenners.
    I did the Cross Rugby Legends Mizen to Malin a few years ago. It was a great week and they raise money for cancer research with Prof John Reynolds in Trinity College and St James. The do a shorter 4-5 day Wild Atlantic Way tour now. The event is organised by the Wallace brothers, the ex Ireland rugby internationals and it's great fun with loads retired well known rugby players.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Myself and a mate just paid and entered as supporters. I raised an extra bit of sponsorship also from family, friends, workmates, etc.

I you are looking for an away trip, ARC and the Mater Foundation are both involved in the Paris2Nice Cycle in Sept.

http://arccancersupport.ie/paris2nice-cycle

https://www.materfoundation.ie/?events=paris2nice-cycle-challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

congratulations OP on your all clear :D

it's a great gesture to give something back too - the mater foundation are really well set up to assist you with your fundraising efforts. definitely worth giving them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

The DAA run a charity cycle in Sept around NCD , last year it was 81 km and relatively flat. One of the beneficiary charities was ARC. Small enough event ., only 120 riders in it last year, but they raised almost €30k in total through sponsorship and sponsor cards .

jimm wrote: »
    Myself and a mate just paid and entered as supporters. I raised an extra bit of sponsorship also from family, friends, workmates, etc.

I you are looking for an away trip, ARC and the Mater Foundation are both involved in the Paris2Nice Cycle in Sept.

http://arccancersupport.ie/paris2nice-cycle

https://www.materfoundation.ie/?events=paris2nice-cycle-challenge

Hi Jimm. thanks for that. I know alot about the paris2nice cycle. I was in contact with arc about it and I think ill try do it for 2018. The prices are expensive like €1775 before flights so i cant afford it this year. Cheers for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fair play man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Do you mind me asking what you had and how long before you got back to feeling "normal" on the bike? You can PM if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

congrats on your news, a colleague came through a cancer fight and has and continues to use ARC and she cant say enough good things about them. What ever event you decide to do make sure you use social media, work, family, friends local cycling clubs and local bike shops to advertise who, what, where, when and why.

dont forget to post in here too.

best of luck to you.

Advertisement