Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toptal - anyone ever work for them?

Options
  • 16-02-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Toptal, allegedly top 3% of developers?

Because of personal situation. I'm looking at to do some contracting work from home. Has anyone here any experience of them? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

ReefBreak wrote: »
    Toptal, allegedly top 3% of developers?

"Top 3%". Ha!

I can absolutely guarantee you that if you're in the top 3%, you're not working for a crowd like that as why hand over 15% of your earnings when you don't need to?

Generally the people at the top of their field source their own contracts. For example, right now I'm on the Cork train to Dublin to fly to Paris to hopefully land a new contract tomorrow morning. If I don't, this trip has cost me €700 for nothing. But that's part of bringing in new business, an initial face to face to unavoidable.

The only time I pay agent fees is if they bring me a contract. Otherwise agencies are not worth the effort, "joining" them is just an excuse for them to slurp your metadata so they can improve their marketing. I'd recommend avoid.

Niall

Advertisement