Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave

Options
  • 16-02-2017 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am looking for some advice. Currently availing of parental leave working reduced hours of 6 hours per day 5 days a week instead of 37 hours per week.
    If I was working contract hours I would be entitled to 23 days annual leave at 7.4 hours equating to 170.2 hours per annum
    This year my employer has reduced my annual leave hours to 138 equating to 23 days at my 6 hours per day.
    It is my understanding that this cannot happen as Parental Leave is protected and I should be viewed as being at my desk full time for the purpose of annual leave.
    Employer sticking tight that I am still in receipt of my 23 days?
    Has anyone been in this position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You should still get your full amount of holiday leave - not the reduced rate. Are you definitely taking parental leave, not a reduced working hours scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Also your child must be 8yrs or under and you must produce birth certificate. You may have done this already but just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chelseaj

You should still get your full amount of holiday leave - not the reduced rate. Are you definitely taking parental leave, not a reduced working hours scheme?
    Yes 100% taking Parental - they keep just reiterating that my entitlement is 23 days and I am receving that but I am receiving at 6hrs per day

chelseaj wrote: »
    Yes 100% taking Parental - they keep just reiterating that my entitlement is 23 days and I am receving that but I am receiving at 6hrs per day

BUT if I was to work a four day week on parental I would receive my full entitlement
    7.4 *23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

BUT if I was to work a four day week on parental I would receive my full entitlement
    7.4 *23

I believe that they are probably correct.

But only if they are not counting you as taking Parental leave on your day off.

For example:

Normal Day 6 Hrs Paid, 2 Hrs Parental Leave.

You are thinking:
    A Day off = 6 Hrs Working + 2 Hrs Parental (- 2 Hrs from Leave allowance balance)

They are thinking:
    A day off = 8 Hrs Leave + 0 Hrs Parental. (- 0 Hrs from Leave allowance balance)

You should clarify this with them.

I feel that they are probably correct as long as they are not deducting the 2 hours from your leave balance on the days that you take off.

• Advertisement

I believe that they are probably correct.

But only if they are not counting you as taking Parental leave on your day off.

For example:

Normal Day 6 Hrs Paid, 2 Hrs Parental Leave.

You are thinking:
    A Day off = 6 Hrs Working + 2 Hrs Parental (- 2 Hrs from Leave allowance balance)

They are thinking:
    A day off = 8 Hrs Leave + 0 Hrs Parental. (- 0 Hrs from Leave allowance balance)

You should clarify this with them.

I feel that they are probably correct as long as they are not deducting the 2 hours from your leave balance on the days that you take off.

I kinda see where you are coming from but on our hr system my hours of allocation are 138 so a days annual leave -6hours
    If I was not availing of parental my leave would be 170.2 a colleague is working 30hours per week also on parental but she is working 4*7.4 so in my eyes for working roughly same amount every week she is in receipt of 30+ more hours annual leave

I kinda see where you are coming from but on our hr system my hours of allocation are 138 so a days annual leave -6hours
    If I was not availing of parental my leave would be 170.2 a colleague is working 30hours per week also on parental but she is working 4*7.4 so in my eyes for working roughly same amount every week she is in receipt of 30+ more hours annual leave

And thank you so much for time - I need a fresh perspective on this 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Narkydonkey Whattado

OP, give the Citizens Information a call on 0761 07 4000 (I think you can email them as well - check their website). They are really competent and helpful, not to mention lovely (any time I or my friends/colleagues dealt with them).

OP, give the Citizens Information a call on 0761 07 4000 (I think you can email them as well - check their website). They are really competent and helpful, not to mention lovely (any time I or my friends/colleagues dealt with them).

Yea I was with them today they think I need to go through WRC just dont want to have to go this route if I can avoid x

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yea I was with them today they think I need to could go through WRC just dont want to have to go this route if I can avoid x

Fixed that for you.

It may be worth remembering that you have no entitlement to spin parental leave out in this way: the employer can say that you can only take it in a block.

Provided they are not deducting any hours from your parental leave balance on weeks when you are on leave, then it may be politic to leave things as they are.

Your call really, which is more valuable to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Narkydonkey Whattado

I also had a small dispute with my employer (last year) regarding annual leave. I did some research, confirmed with the citizens information what my entitlement was, printed out 2 articles from reputable sources confirming what I already knew, and asked HR for a meeting. They asked if they could keep the printouts, because they wanted to verify the info. I said 'no problem', and the next day they called me to say they were going to update the system with the additional AL entitlement. They even admitted they hadn't been aware of the regulations I brought to their attention. Try it, chances are you'll be able to sort it out without escalating the situation.

Fixed that for you.

It may be worth remembering that you have no entitlement to spin parental leave out in this way: the employer can say that you can only take it in a block.

Provided they are not deducting any hours from your parental leave balance on weeks when you are on leave, then it may be politic to leave things as they are.

Your call really, which is more valuable to you.

I completely appreciate how fortunate I am that they are willing to facilitate my leave like this but I dont think I should just accept it without confirming that parental hours are not being deducted throughout this period. And to date this has not happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

As a follow on to my mail above. I checked on our timekeeping system, it only allows me to enter one type of leave per day, so it could simply be an administrative issue.

Best to work with your HR folks to clarify before escalating.

As Bumble points out, if they get the hump and insist that you take the leave in a block you could lose out significatly. Possibly better to lose one battle rather than the entire war.

Advertisement