Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby box

Options
  • 16-02-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    We are expecting our first baby and are looking into the concept of the Finnish Baby Box for babies to sleep in.
    Has anyone any experience with these baby boxes? Would you recommend them?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there.

I've moved your thread here as you're likely to receive a better informed response in this forum.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I asked the same over on the pregnancy forum recently as my maternity is now providing them but I didn't get any responses. Am very interested to know what comes with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

You get a baby box, mattress for the box, baby vest and some info leaflets

We haven't used ours simply cos we already had a Moses basket upstairs and a bassinet downstairs. If we hadn't Thor bassinet, I would have used the box for downstairs sleeping. It's smaller than a Moses basket. Mattress looks comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

its a nice idea that the health service give new mothers a box that can double as a bed with some essentials.
    for some people who may lack the wits or the means to have things ready this is a great idea.

as a first time Irish mother though i have a feeling that not only will you not lack for an actual bed for the baby you will probably buy more then you would ever need.
    we ended up with a carrycot from the travel system (qunney) a crib, a cot, a travel cot and a borrowed Moses basket.

i suppose if we could have gotten a box we would have taken that too.

most of the time the baby ended up sleeping in the bloody carrycot that came with the buggy.

having said that 3 kids later we have gotten fair use out of all of them.

basically i doubt you would need one plus at the end of the day its just a box with a mattress in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I like the low waste idea of these... but wouldn't need it in addition to a cot or bassinet.

Is it the reduction in waste that appeals, or the small profile?
    If it's low waste, then I can pass on my own experience.
    We generally try to be low waste, and didn't get a travel system... had a buggy that went flat and did from newborn to age 5. We had a cot from the get-go instead of a bassinet.
    Sling was handy as well, used that a lot for walks and naps. Inexpensive and reusable.
    Didn't get a nappy bin. Didn't get a playpen. Didn't get a travel cot (borrowed one twice).
    There is a cloth nappy library where you can try various brands of reusable nappies if you want to give that a go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement