Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW brakes

• 16-02-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Can someone here please tell me whether the blue brake calipers I have seen on a two series coupe are available on other trims or or do they only come with the M sport. I.e. can I buy them for the SE coupe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

They are the M-Performance brakes. You can go onto realoem.com, enter your car details and go to the brakes section. It will show if they are available for your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

They are the M-Performance brakes. You can go onto realoem.com, enter your car details and go to the brakes section. It will show if they are available for your car.

Ah don't go putting m performance parts on an SE. Either buy a full m performance car or stick with the SE as it is. Doing this kind of thing is a bit like boy racer tack for someone with deeper pockets.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Would ya stop. The OP wants to be performance OEM parts for his car. It's not like they are putting on a cheap rear wing and some go faster stripes.

Suppose its each to their own. Personally I don't like seeing m sport and m performance parts on SEs

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well that's your problem and not the OP's.

Crikey, ok. You do know everyone has different opinions on the internet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Suppose its each to their own. Personally I don't like seeing m sport and m performance parts on SEs

Why don't you ?

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    Why don't you ?

Because they don't look right on an SE. I think they change the original design of the SE and go against what the SE is supposed to look like. Some people end up with a half SE and half Msport styling that looks wrong. Either buy one or the other.

Bit like wearing Nike runners with a business suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not like m sport models are handmade out of unobtanium in a laboratory. It's just a trim level FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Because they don't look right on an SE. I think they change the original design of the SE and go against what the SE is supposed to look like. Some people end up with a half SE and half Msport styling that looks wrong. Either buy one or the other.

The M is only for MickeyMouse anyway - not like yer putting ap's and a drenth in it like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can someone here please tell me whether the blue brake calipers I have seen on a two series coupe are available on other trims or or do they only come with the M sport. I.e. can I buy them for the SE coupe

Just to warn you, the BMW ones are a fortune. You could easily spend upwards of 1000EUR on the kit second hand. The calipers can also change from single pot to multiples. I think in mine the standard brakes are single but the M-Sport is 4-pot. The disc is also a larger size.

Long story short, you can change the caliper but have to change the entire brake while you are at it. BMW however do reuse a lot of components, for example you can get M5 brakes onto a 130/135i with a little bit of bodging, so you could save yourself a bundle if you do the research.

Going a step further, you are modifying your car from stock so depending on how you view your insurance, you could be invalidating it. You'll also upset the brake balance in your car and I know if i want to fit 135i fronts to mine (Most BMWs are front wheel bias) you need to program the car and tell them they are fitted, otherwise you can throw the brake sensors off.

Its not always a straight forward job to do this, especially if you are uprating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

buts thats all m sport is a few bits of plastic and a few minor upgrades on the standard model just done at the factory....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 aeolian sky

In my 40s now so I feel I am a bit old to be a boy racer. I have no desire to dress the car up with loads of aftermarket parts, I just saw the M sport brakes on another car recently and thought they would make an Eye-catching addition to my SE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I wonder if they offer much difference in performance vs better tyres or pads (greenstuffs etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aeolian sky

To be honest I was only going to change the brakes Purely for the looks. I really do like the blue ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get some blue paint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If it's for aesthetics then I would do as above and paint them. If you go down this route I would suggest (from experience) using 2 or 3 coats of hammerite direct to rust paint followed by halfords petrol resistant lacquer instead of high temperature paint. The hammerite bonds very well to calipers and the lacquer will stand up to wheel cleaners. Both available in halfords. Prep is your friend before paint goes on.

It's your car and your money so at the end of the day you should do as you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I wonder if they offer much difference in performance vs better tyres or pads (greenstuffs etc).

Speaking from the 130/135i side, you won't notice the difference between the standard and BMW Performance brakes unless you are on a track. They give a little more precision and they fade less, but otherwise, unless you are absolutely canning it on a track, you won't notice. Like you said however, you need to be running quality brakes and tyres at the same time, you could easily be putting ~500EUR into each corner on a regular basis in pads, tyres and maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If it's for aesthetics then I would do as above and paint them. If you go down this route I would suggest (from experience) using 2 or 3 coats of hammerite direct to rust paint followed by halfords petrol resistant lacquer instead of high temperature paint. The hammerite bonds very well to calipers and the lacquer will stand up to wheel cleaners. Both available in halfords. Prep is your friend before paint goes on.

It's your car and your money so at the end of the day you should do as you want.

^^^^^ this.

You can buy proper caliper paint cheaply, specially for the job.

OK, I did more than paint mine, but you get the idea:

Before:

DSC05344-M.jpg

After
    DSC05348-M.jpg

DSC05381-M.jpg

Full breakdown here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056286804

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement