Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advantage in bridging Virgin Media Hub 3.0 Wireless router?

Options
  • 16-02-2017 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 (240 Mbps broadband). I also have a NetGear WNDR4500 router which is not used now as I changed my service provide to VirginMedia.

Just curious to know whether there is any advantage - Security wise / Speed wise / etc to make the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 in to modem mode and bridge it with my NetGear WNDR4500 router?

On the Netgear WNDR4500 you can spoof the router MAC address to what ever you like and if I bridge the Hub, would it seem to the ISP that all trafic is coming from a single device?

Also I can put custom DNS to the NETGEAR router ,a feature that is not available with the Hub 3.0.

Any other advantage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

not sure about the netgear stuff, but i have my 2 modems bridged into a PFSense router. I have heard the wireless on the Media Hub is the best compaired to the rest of the ISP gear, but given the rest of them are crap, thats not saying much... I have my own APs (Ubiquiti Unfi) and they do the job for me... running your own router (Netgear or otherwise) allows you to manage a lot more than the VM provided router will. and, if you need to get more power, a newer router 6 months down the road is easier... no waiting on VM to upgrade their box...

Advertisement