Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone & Broadband

Options
  • 16-02-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

I have been thinking of switching to a new service provider but the more I look, the more confusing it gets so I would appreciate any feedback on your experience with these providers. Unlimited data would be nice but 60GB per month would probably do. Don’t use the landline a lot for calls as I have a mobile with Vodafone. Located in Gweedore area, outside of the Bunbeg hotspot, with little prospect of fibre-optic connection any time soon.

Eir:
    Presently with Eir, with low broadband speeds and high price so loyalty has to go. Typically, 2-3 MBps download and 0.2-0.3 MBps upload speed.

Pure Telecom:
    Cheaper than Eir but not a lot. Terrible online reviews but other people seem to find them OK. Would be using the same copper local loop as Eir.

3.ie.
    Seems like a good option for wireless broadband. Two masts within a couple of miles radius, upgraded to 4G. Bad online reviews. Could weather conditions reduce reliability? Recent complaints in Donegal are said to be due to 4G upgrading work on masts. Can try their service for 14 days without commitment.

Vodafone:
    Looks like a decent service but almost as expensive as Eir.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Leaving aside wireless and satellite broadband you will end up using Eir's infrastructure no matter who you sign up with so speeds should be the same. Price wise there isnt a lot between them but have you looked at Sky at all? They probably have the shortest contract period - 12 months and they do have various BB offers running every month for both new and existing tv customers or simply as a new BB customer.

If you have a working land line then you shouldnt encounter any issues with signing up to them. Im with them about 4 years now and never have any issues.

Maybe you could also look into the current promise of a national broadband scheme but if the past is anything to go by then I wouldnt hold my breath on that though.

Google the price comparison sites - bonkers and switcher and see what you can unearth there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

I am considering moving my phone and broadband to Virgin.
    While I know my cordless phone will work on virgin.
    Can anybody confirm if if a standard push button phone will work on the virgin system.

I keep one in a fixed position as the cordelss handset can be anywhere , or flat .
    I do know that if the power goes the virgin system also goes but, that is not a problem.

fernrock wrote: »
    I am considering moving my phone and broadband to Virgin.
    Is Virgin BB available here at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

muffler wrote: »

No. The two analogue only networks (DL town and Buncrana) were turned off; neither ever offered broadband and I doubt they even offered the old analogue cable phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

I am in the Limerick area, and all virgin services are available but, I am not sure if an ordinary non cordless phone will work.

• Advertisement

fernrock wrote: »
    I am in the Limerick area, and all virgin services are available but, I am not sure if an ordinary non cordless phone will work.
    You're probably better off posting in the Limerick forum so

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ElusiveHaggis

Leaving aside wireless and satellite broadband you will end up using Eir's infrastructure no matter who you sign up with so speeds should be the same. Price wise there isnt a lot between them but have you looked at Sky at all? They probably have the shortest contract period - 12 months and they do have various BB offers running every month for both new and existing tv customers or simply as a new BB customer.

If you have a working land line then you shouldnt encounter any issues with signing up to them. Im with them about 4 years now and never have any issues.

Maybe you could also look into the current promise of a national broadband scheme but if the past is anything to go by then I wouldnt hold my breath on that though.

Google the price comparison sites - bonkers and switcher and see what you can unearth there.

I won't recommend Sky at all, they are over priced imo and they've ripped me off (deposit lost) If you want broadband only - Eir and Vodaphone seem to be the best choice, it's around 45e. We are however still being ripped off - we are not getting fiber, it's still copper wires most of the way. Fiber to the exchange, sure - not to the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have Vodafone. It was on offer at a reduced rate for the first year then went up to €45 per month. Speeds are excellent and completely reliable. However, getting it installed was a nightmare and took about six weeks longer than they promised.

Advertisement