Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway tree decision!

Options
  • 16-02-2017 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Evening!

I need some advice and opinions please re driveway trees!

I've 20 metres of driveway before the parking area at the front of our house (new build, one and a half story 320 sqm set on an acre site in North County Dublin).

I'm looking to plant six trees - 3 on either side and then upright then with spike spot lights. I'm torn between the pyrus chanicleer or the snowy mespilus.

Ideally I want a quite formal look - hence the same trees in a line. Don't want anything huge but would like some all year round interest (even if it's just nice branches to light at Christmas!)

What do ye think? Is there any other options that would be better than the two above? Which one out of the two would be the best choice? (They'll be panted east facing, soil is clay and good growing!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Pyrus chanticleer would definitely be my choice. They have lots of advantages. They are one of the first trees to get their leaves and one of the last to loose them. Early flowers and late colour are beautiful but so is mespillus good for these.
    The real charm of the pear is its shape and form. It is a much neater tree and its shape it ideal for planting along an avenue. I believe it's very favoured by architects for this reason

Advertisement