Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freecom FSG-3

Options
  • 16-02-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have an FSG-3 NAS. As it has wifi, lan, sata, usb ports I decided to revive and use it. I managed to find and install firmware updates and using ipkg upgrade all the installed software. So far so good. But the system is still using apache 1.3 even though apache 2.2 is now installed.
    Obviously as apcahe1.3 has not been over written and 2.2 is installed they must be in different places or folder names i.e. apache 2.2 is called acache2.
    There must be a config or boot file somewhere that tells the system what programs, and where they are located, to run at start up.
    Does anyone know which file this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

hi not familiar with NAS,but if you have access to cli,can you try to remove apache 1.3,thus forcing kernel to load 2.x
    also did you do update command>update then upgrade-since usually update provides new packages and upgrade upgrades them.
    google shows this command to remove packages:
    ipkg remove <pkg|regexp> Remove package <pkg|packages following regexp>

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Hi thank you for reply.
    Yes updated then (downloaded ipk file ) and then upgraded
    Tried the remove option it seemed to remove the new version only. rebooted still apache 1.3

Possibly the paths are set differently in either the updating script or the existing boot/config.

https://rmc.home.xs4all.nl/fsg/ check out this link,dunno if its much help,since as said not much experience with NAS,also see if your able to use commands such as lsmod <lists loaded modules.

also another possibility that read in that link that apache 2.2 isnt installed.so alternative is to downlaod package and try to install it manually via cli,also not sure are you using any php+html since could be missing some packages as well.

Since when it comes to unix troubleshooting its trial and error until you find either whats missing or where to make changes.Could be correct about boot file or library path,thus browse for commands used by freecom fsg,how to call or locate config files for this particular unix kernel,to either see what modules are loaded or if having apache 2.2 forcing it to start,thus could point to where issue is if getting errors,since should be able to say kill force apache 1.3 and then forcing to start 2.2.

another link to commands if your able to use,giving indication to what processes are running basically using ps with different switches to sort out processes and where they are located since example in this site http://www.binarytides.com/linux-ps-command/
    gives commands to look into processes like apache,and libraries where its stored

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

I'l check your suggestions once I rebuild the fsg. Access is via ssh only so I took the hdd out to try to access the files on another computer. Windows thinks the drive needs formatting so no help there (not a surprise really). Linux shows me the folders/files but as i don't "own" them won't open them for me.
    I was hoping to find a boot or config file of some sort. This presupposes I would know it when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

M.T.D wrote: »
    I'l check your suggestions once I rebuild the fsg. Access is via ssh only so I took the hdd out to try to access the files on another computer. Windows thinks the drive needs formatting so no help there (not a surprise really). Linux shows me the folders/files but as i don't "own" them won't open them for me.
    I was hoping to find a boot or config file of some sort. This presupposes I would know it when I saw it.

You should be able to access the files using Linux as root (admin) user.

• Advertisement

You should be able to access the files using Linux as root (admin) user.
    that depends since freecom fsg would be different distro,so filetypes encryption would differ no ? Since imagine otherwise he would gotten promted for password or tried using sudo on the file and see if it gotten anywhere,then again if different distro it wouldn't be able to read config files as encryption and filesystem would be different and wouldn't recognize.

Advertisement