Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zebra Is For Pedestrians and ...

Options
  • 16-02-2017 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

...for chatting on the phone,cycling the zebra and just taking the fcuking piss of the drivers !
    And is not the only one that i have on my dashcam, just the one that actually behaved like is been offended by my driving style ! :)

Guys ... a friendly note / warning : i drive a fcuking heavy machinery that cannot protect YOU when YOU behave stupid and your mum and dad waiting at home !!!

LE:
    I am not going to comment on my driving style OR speed OR going on/off.
    In the case that the other guy will have hit my car on the road,i will be here typing on the keyboard and his mum crying loud !
    SO, irrespective of the speed, careless, horses, offroad to avoid the bike, PLEASE pay attention as not all clashes can end up like this one,not all the drivers have the crystal ball beside them to guess/anticipate what a cycle will do on the side of the road.
    I'm putting the clip here as a warning and not as a rant over the cyclists that sometimes are drivers too,me inclusive.
    AND not lastly... a pedestrian crossing does not give you / involve that you have priority aka jumping in the front of the moving car but rather a meaning that you, as a civilised person can cross the road safely in relation to other traffic participants that,unfrotunately ,that day left the crystal zebra ball in the back if his car !

Be good, cycle / drive safely !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

This thread is going to end well :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

From that clip the driver wasn't paying enough attention to someone approaching the pedestrian crossing.

Now they're not for cyclists but does that allow an idiot driver to mow them down - no it doesn't.

The type of aggressive driving displayed here is a potential "dangerous driving" from what
    I can see. The cyclist and vehicle driver are being equally inconsiderate and dickish on their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Holy mother of God! What a gob****e on a bicycle! Some people really have no idea how easy it is to get injured on a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

rolion wrote: »
    ...for chatting on the phone,cycling the zebra and just taking the fcuking piss of the drivers !
    And is not the only one that i have on my dashcam, just the one that actually behaved like is been offended by my driving style ! :)

Guys ... a friendly note / warning : i drive a fcuking heavy machinery that cannot protect YOU when YOU behave stupid and your mum and dad waiting at home !!!

Zebra crossings, real ones are for crossing the road, regardless.
    People in wheelchairs can use the too FYI. So can people on horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Awful awful driving....even went off the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, very careless on the part of the person on the bike, but the driving is terrible too. Despite the flashing beacons, approached a zebra crossing at speed and then was surprised when someone started to cross, despite the fact that's exactly what you should expect at a zebra crossing. Poor anticipation, and what looks like ingrained bad habits.

Thanks for posting this public service film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd wager the driver in the video is onewith a chip on their shoulder looking for cyclists to frighten, no one can defend what the cyclist did but intentionally approaching them on such an aggressive manner with a car is just insaine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the sheer head smashing irony of the OP.
    you're putting the clip there as a warning; to stay off the roads when you're around?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The driver should have adjusted his speed when he saw the flashing pelicans. I also would hazard a guess he is exceeding the limit.

Under the rules of the road the driver must stop and let people cross. So in contradiction to the op they do give people the right.

But when it comes to self preservation, rules go out the window and the cyclist should have taken due care, I don't know the section of road but it's quite possible that's it's a mixed use crossing.

* http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print
    Last rule 38.2 in this instance would state the person crossing is clearly in the wrong

ted1 wrote: »
    * http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print
    Last rule 38.2 in this instance would state the person crossing is clearly in the wrong
    When a vehicle is approaching a zebra crossing a pedestrian shall not step on to that crossing if his action is likely to cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve

Set against that is:
    A driver approaching a zebra crossing shall yield the right of way to a pedestrian on the crossing.

You can of course say that the person on the bike isn't a pedestrian, per se, but a decent driver would have seen the person on the bike and anticipated that they might start to cross.

(The person on the bike is clearly in the wrong. I don't think anyone is disputing that.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Am I alone in thinking that the text in the OP simply doesn't make actual sense ????

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Set against that is:

You can of course say that the person on the bike isn't a pedestrian, per se, but a decent driver would have seen the person on the bike and anticipated that they might start to cross.

(The person on the bike is clearly in the wrong. I don't think anyone is disputing that.)

Did you read the link?

(b) shall not step on to a zebra crossing if his action is likely to cause the driver of an approaching vehicle to brake suddenly or to swerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Another dashcam thread with a solitary incident that appears to imply that all of us should take more care and not do stupid things.

There's plenty of this stuff on YouTube. No need to post it here, imo.

This thread will eventually degenerate like so many similar threads have done in the past. Tiresome stuff.

Nothing to see here. Move along. There are twits everywhere - it's a fact of life.

Did you read the link?
    Yes, I did and I helpfully posted the text too, and said that cyclist was clearly in the wrong.

You still can't drive pell mell straight at a zebra crossing and be exempted from all culpability because the pedestrian or cyclist was careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Just goes to show .... you can get gobsh*tes in cars and gobsh*tes on bikes!! The problems start when they come together ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I hope you went to the guards with that video. Maybe they'd like to enforce the laws on both you and the cyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Go to the Gardai with the footage, see how well it works out. Thread Closed. Also pay attention to the bike path that is there. I'd blame the council planning before anything else. If you think this thread should reopen please PM me to discuss.

MOD VOICE: I recieved a few PMs and against my own judgement I am reopening the thread but under a watchful eye. Read the forum charter before posting, it may be Friday but I have been up since 3am and I don't have time for BS, breach of the forum charter will result in swift banning.

I can't think of anyway this ends well but the first person to generalise cyclists, motorists or any group that have nothing in common bar their mode of transport will get a Permaban. You can criticise the individuals in the video at will, do not attempt to identify them though, this is also a Permaban.

Council: A cyclepath that seems to disappear into thin air, no clear indication of where to go. Common sense would imply that this is one of their proposed shared space plans but no signs, unfortunately until a larger number of people put manners and safety as a priority, we still have to design the place as if everyone is a moron. I am not sure I fully blame them though as the engineer may have made the error that there is a modicum of decency among most road and path users, this unfortunately is a huge leap of faith at this moment in timeGuilty of a lack of foresight
    Cyclist: Technically in the wrong but the poor layout of the cyclepath and the indicative layout implying shared space, I can see how the error is made. Still should have looked left because despite how zebra crossings should be treated, in Ireland you often have to wait as a pedestrian because a few people do not stop for them. I don't know any other country you have to be as cautious at a zebra crossing. Guilty of complacency
    Motorist: Speeding, not paying attention. He may be right about the cyclist breaking the rules but in no way does this excuse the really poor driving. The driver was not paying attention and driving dangerously. Blaming the cyclist for something that would have gotten him arrested and lambasted had it been a pedestrian is just making excuses. Guilty of dangerous driving, or driving without due care and attention

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

CramCycle wrote: »
    Council: A cyclepath that seems to disappear into thin air, no clear indication of where to go. Common sense would imply that this is one of their proposed shared space plans but no signs, unfortunately until a larger number of people put manners and safety as a priority, we still have to design the place as if everyone is a moron. I am not sure I fully blame them though as the engineer may have made the error that there is a modicum of decency among most road and path users, this unfortunately is a huge leap of faith at this moment in timeGuilty of a lack of foresight
    Cyclist: Technically in the wrong but the poor layout of the cyclepath and the indicative layout implying shared space, I can see how the error is made. Still should have looked left because despite how zebra crossings should be treated, in Ireland you often have to wait as a pedestrian because a few people do not stop for them. I don't know any other country you have to be as cautious at a zebra crossing. Guilty of complacency
    Motorist: Speeding, not paying attention. He may be right about the cyclist breaking the rules but in no way does this excuse the really poor driving. The driver was not paying attention and driving dangerously. Blaming the cyclist for something that would have gotten him arrested and lambasted had it been a pedestrian is just making excuses. Guilty of dangerous driving, or driving without due care and attention

And the moral of the story is " 3 wrongs don't make a right "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

_Brian wrote: »
    From that clip the driver wasn't paying enough attention to someone approaching the pedestrian crossing.

Now they're not for cyclists but does that allow an idiot driver to mow them down - no it doesn't.

The type of aggressive driving displayed here is a potential "dangerous driving" from what
    I can see. The cyclist and vehicle driver are being equally inconsiderate and dickish on their behaviour.

Sorry but there is a law here. You cannot just go.straight out on the crossing, you got to ensure there is no car within 20m of the crossing. Don't see the issue with it been a cyclist using it, he/she just didn't look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Classic example of "there's a pair of them in it"!

OP: I've noticed that many drivers fail to take their foot off the accelerator when coming up to a place where they may expect hazards - junctions, pedestrian crossings, schools…

I've also noticed that many drivers who see me turning right on the bike as they're coming towards me speed up rather than slowing down.

You don't want to be the one waking up at three in the morning with someone's death replaying itself in your head…

Sorry but there is a law here. You cannot just go.straight out on the crossing, you got to ensure there is no car within 20m of the crossing. Don't see the issue with it been a cyclist using it, he/she just didn't look
    Just because you could argue the car had right of way (although you would fail a test based on that driving), the car is approaching a hazard and should be preparing to stop, just in case. Much the same way when a light has been green on approach, you don't keep gunning it as if it will stay green, you prepare yourself that it may change.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    Classic example of "there's a pair of them in it"!
    +1

20m I didn't see that in the SI. Don't post opinions as facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Just because you could argue the car had right of way (although you would fail a test based on that driving), the car is approaching a hazard and should be preparing to stop, just in case. Much the same way when a light has been green on approach, you don't keep gunning it as if it will stay green, you prepare yourself that it may change.

Yep - I'd say that a collision in this situation would probably be similar to the car/bike on the footpath court case here. There will be some proportion of liability attached to both parties.

20m I didn't see that in the SI. Don't post opinions as facts.

(2) When a vehicle is approaching a zebra crossing a pedestrian shall not step on to that crossing if his action is likely to cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve.

From
    Road Traffic General Bye-Laws

+1

Never supported the driver, I just quoted how to use a zebra crossing, something alot of people cant do in Ireland.

If a driver can't do an emergency stop he/she is obviously going too fast for that section of the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

(2) When a vehicle is approaching a zebra crossing a pedestrian shall not step on to that crossing if his action is likely to cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve.

From
    Road Traffic General Bye-Laws

That's not what you said. Plus if a driver with 20metres has to suddenly brake, they're driving too fast or not paying attention

Weepsie wrote: »
    That's not what you said. Plus if a driver with 20metres has to suddenly brake, they're driving too fast or not paying attention

I never defended the driver. Relax

Also its more than likely a 50k speed limit, reaction and braking time in that zone is close to 30m, looking at the video he stopped with 5-8m so was probably doing 30K.

Yes he should of paid more attention, but he/she didnt expect someone to go out in front of them without checking.

We just need to be careful at zebra crossings and not just walk out on them which happens alot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I never defended the driver. Relax

No, but you made up some BS and said it was law or fact.

In this case by the OP, I definitely think the cyclist is far more in the wrong. I think the OP should be slowing down, flashing amber means only proceed if it is safe to do so. It wasn't safe.

Now we can say, you can clearly see the cyclist, but as explained elsewhere peripheral vision of the driver might be different.

This is up past the paddocks in littlepace. There is some seriously crap design of cycle paths around there. They should just be rid of and be on road.

Advertisement