Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zebra Is For Pedestrians and ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

(2) When a vehicle is approaching a zebra crossing a pedestrian shall not step on to that crossing if his action is likely to cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve.

From
    Road Traffic General Bye-Laws

No mention of 20m. You made a statement as if it was fact , when infact it is fiction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Never supported the driver, I just quoted how to use a zebra crossing, something alot of people cant do in Ireland.

If a driver can't do an emergency stop he/she is obviously going too fast for that section of the road.

I didn't say you did, I understood your point about not stepping out in front of moving traffic. My point was that if the driver had been paying attention and driving reasonably that would have been a non event. He approached to fast, if driving at a normal speed and paying attention, there was more than enough time to break once the bike turned to go across. In fact, even at the speed he was driving, he should have been able to stop in time if he was in anyway awake.
    Does this excuse the stupidity of the cyclist not looking or paying attention (could have been an emergency vehicle or something else). Not at all.
    I always treat Zebra crossings as they were intended, if someone is clearly going for it or can make it onto it before you cross, you approach with an aim to stop and in nearly all cases, stop until you are certain it is safe to proceed. In all scenarios you approach them with caution. No matter what the rule book says, you'd fail your test here for acting in any other fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ted1 wrote: »
    No mention of 20m. You made a statement as if it was fact , when infact it is fiction.

Very true, its actually a longer distance.

"cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve"

So in a 50k zone its 30 meters!!!

In a 30k zone it be close to 20m or a bit less.

The people that wrote the document were smart enough to know depending on the speed limit the braking distance changes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The people that wrote the document were smart enough to know depending on the speed limit the braking distance changes.

In a 30 k zone, or a 50 k zone you're supposed to be slowing down on approach to the crossing so your distance would be shorter. You're making stuff up to suit a bad argument. A bit Trumpian

rolion wrote: »
    ...for chatting on the phone,cycling the zebra and just taking the fcuking piss of the drivers !
    And is not the only one that i have on my dashcam, just the one that actually behaved like is been offended by my driving style ! :)

Guys ... a friendly note / warning : i drive a fcuking heavy machinery that cannot protect YOU when YOU behave stupid and your mum and dad waiting at home !!!

LE:
    I am not going to comment on my driving style OR speed OR going on/off.
    In the case that the other guy will have hit my car on the road,i will be here typing on the keyboard and his mum crying loud !
    I'm putting the clip here as a warning and not as a rant over the cyclists that sometimes are drivers too,me inclusive.
    AND not lastly... a pedestrian crossing does not give you / involve that you have priority aka jumping in the front of the moving car but rather a meaning that you, as a civilised person can cross the road safely in relation to other traffic participants that,unfrotunately ,that day left the crystal zebra ball in the back if his car !

Be good, cycle / drive safely !

Textbook concern trolling

• Advertisement

Stop digging and just admit your making up fake facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭josip

OP, was this also you driving in this?

It's from the same YouTube account.

josip wrote: »
    OP, was this also you driving in this?

It's from the same YouTube account.

MOD VOICE: We are only discussing the video and related subject area of the original post. Any other posts on that account are irrelevant to the thread.

CramCycle wrote: »

MOD VOICE: We are only discussing the video and related subject area of the original post. Any other posts on that account are irrelevant to the thread.

I think it's very relevant as it displays a pattern with the OP driving style which is quite concerning.

It's also the only video he has uploaded where he stripped off the speed from the bottom.

MOD VOICE: Take it to PM, as per forum rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

That video was a little bit terrifying.

I ain't saying the driver shouldn't have slowed down ... and my initial instinct was to give out about the motorist... but that cyclist was a moron and lucky not to get himself killed. No matter what type of crossing you're at you don't blindly go across a road without checking that it's safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Never supported the driver, I just quoted how to use a zebra crossing, something alot of people cant do in Ireland.
    i once got a reply from the council about a suggestion to put a zebra crossing at castle market, which said they were not going to due to the ambiguity (i think that was the word used) it would create.

i think a lot of the issue here is that we don't use zebra crossings enough in road design, so many drivers are not familiar with them - which is then given as a reason for not using them more...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

That video was a little bit terrifying.

I ain't saying the driver shouldn't have slowed down ... and my initial instinct was to give out about the motorist... but that cyclist was a moron and lucky not to get himself killed. No matter what type of crossing you're at you don't blindly go across a road without checking that it's safe.

Its terrifying (I) because the driver made no effort to slowdown approaching a zebra crossing with flashing lights and (ii) because the driver doesn't seem to see it as a consideration that he should have been slowing down... judging by the OP. He is moaning because a cyclist popped out, but the reality is it could have been a child that popped out and he would have been approaching just as quick.

Typical driver attitude - we own the road, everyone else back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

i once got a reply from the council about a suggestion to put a zebra crossing at castle market, which said they were not going to due to the ambiguity (i think that was the word used) it would create.

i think a lot of the issue here is that we don't use zebra crossings enough in road design, so many drivers are not familiar with them - which is then given as a reason for not using them more...

I would disagree with that.

Every driver in the country knows what a pedestrian crossing with flashing lights mean.

Many of them choose to 'assume' no one is there......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Driver is 100% reckless and makes no attempt to slow down for the zebra crossing!! I don't see any fault with the cyclist in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The OP's post is just an attempt to bash cyclists as per usual.. it could just as easily have been a pedestrian walking out and he wouldn't have bothered posting.

If the cyclist had decided to walk his bike over the zebra crossing would he be posting here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its terrifying (I) because the driver made no effort to slowdown approaching a zebra crossing with flashing lights and (ii) because the driver doesn't seem to see it as a consideration that he should have been slowing down... judging by the OP. He is moaning because a cyclist popped out, but the reality is it could have been a child that popped out and he would have been approaching just as quick.

I don't disagree with you, the driver should have slowed down. But the cyclist shouldn't have crossed without checking if was safe. It's basic road safety.
    kingtut wrote: »
    Driver is 100% reckless and makes no attempt to slow down for the zebra crossing!! I don't see any fault with the cyclist in this case.

No fault with the cyclist? He turned onto the road without checking to see if it was safe. We all have a responsibility to take care of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

I agree that the driver was reckless, he even appears to speed up after he slows for the brake lights of the car in front. Taking no notice of the cyclist or the crossing.

The cyclist was also reckless. He appears to be on the phone (in his left hand), does not look to his right and check it is safe to go on to the crossing, does not follow the guidelines for using a pedestrian crossing. Had he done so he would not have gone out in front of the car going to fast.

Both 100% reckless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mrcheez wrote: »
    The OP's post is just an attempt to bash cyclists as per usual.. it could just as easily have been a pedestrian walking out and he wouldn't have bothered posting.

He posted it on the Motors forum and the rabble told him to post it over here.

Anyway, the 2 were as bad as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Bicycle user could have been from mainland Europe where motor vehicles slow down and stop for pedestrian crossings...

No fault with the cyclist? He turned onto the road without checking to see if it was safe. We all have a responsibility to take care of ourselves.

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    The cyclist was also reckless. He appears to be on the phone (in his left hand), does not look to his right and check it is safe to go on to the crossing, does not follow the guidelines for using a pedestrian crossing. Had he done so he would not have gone out in front of the car going to fast.

Both 100% reckless

Having viewed the video again yes you are both 100% correct. Cyclist should have come to a complete stop and then proceeded provided it was safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Bicycle user could have been from mainland Europe where motor vehicles slow down and stop for pedestrian crossings...

I think that depends which country you're referring to on the mainland.
    In some of them (I have the Balkans in mind), the only way someone can cross at a pedestrian crossing is to look away from the traffic, while stepping onto the crossing.
    They think you haven't seen them and will brake.
    If they see you looking in their direction, they won't bother to slow down.
    It's a classic game of chicken.
    Nevertheless, you have to keep an eye on them with your peripheral vision because about 70% of them are on the phone and some sail through oblivious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

This post has been deleted.

And many a time cars have sped past me as I step onto a zebra crossing, their thinking - well I'm not in the middle of the road yet so think I'll just boot it through.
    Oh I have had to jump back numerous times in the middle of one, never mind the woman who was stuck in traffic and moved on when the traffic moved, only problem was I was 3/4 way across the crossing in front of her, ended up sitting on her bonnet, great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

rushfan wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking that the text in the OP simply doesn't make actual sense ????

He must have typed it while driving ?? :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

I don't see any fault with the cyclist in this case.

Really?
    He turned straight across a road without checking for oncoming traffic! He is an "accident waiting to happen" if he continues to do that! And I'm not in any way defending the behaviour of the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I blame dash cam manufacturers! If dashcams didn't exist there'd be no video to argue over! ;)

Cyclist, driver? There both numpty's!!

MOD VOICE: This is the last warning I give before straight reds and a holiday come along. No generalisations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would disagree with that.

Every driver in the country knows what a pedestrian crossing with flashing lights mean.
    eh... i would not be so confident.

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    Really?
    He turned straight across a road without checking for oncoming traffic! He is an "accident waiting to happen" if he continues to do that! And I'm not in any way defending the behaviour of the driver.

See my post a few up from yours ;)

Advertisement