Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zebra Is For Pedestrians and ...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Junction design is horrible.
    Horrible situation awareness from both sides.
    Technology (ABS) and plain luck saved someone from serious injuries or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its terrifying (I) because the driver made no effort to slowdown approaching a zebra crossing with flashing lights and (ii) because the driver doesn't seem to see it as a consideration that he should have been slowing down... judging by the OP. He is moaning because a cyclist popped out, but the reality is it could have been a child that popped out and he would have been approaching just as quick

Typical driver attitude - we own the road, everyone else back off.

Ya see, I see this very different.
    I'm my viewing this driver absolutely did see the cyclist, it's not like the cyclist is arriving onto the crossing out of nowhere at speed, and are they not wearing a viz-vest too.

This driver saw the cyclist and decided to test if the cyclist was going to stop, this driver intentionally approached that cyclist (who was wrong) at speed with two intentions in mind 1- teach cyclist a lesson, 2- have a dash cam video to ramble on about.

Remember we're seeing a crappy dash cam recording
    The driver would have benifeted from much clearer and wider periferal vision.

This is some serious dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Can't remember the song this dog sings, I know it's something important:

409560.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

_Brian wrote: »
    Ya see, I see this very different.
    I'm my viewing this driver absolutely did see the cyclist, it's not like the cyclist is arriving onto the crossing out of nowhere at speed, and are they not wearing a viz-vest too.

This driver saw the cyclist and decided to test if the cyclist was going to stop, this driver intentionally approached that cyclist (who was wrong) at speed with two intentions in mind 1- teach cyclist a lesson, 2- have a dash cam video to ramble on about.

Remember we're seeing a crappy dash cam recording
    The driver would have benifeted from much clearer and wider periferal vision.

This is some serious dangerous driving.

It wouldn't take a huge leap of faith to agree with this. Especially when you consider from how far back you can see the cyclist on on the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Hungrycol wrote: »

409560.jpg

Remember: ONE!...

Ahh, brown corduroy flares; so hot right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP is not putting in much of an effort to explain the situation, given his original sincere concern for our safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

the OP is not putting in much of an effort to explain the situation, given his original sincere concern for our safety.

He drives a trade vehicle, are you surprised? I've had most close calls with window-less trade vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

_Brian wrote: »
    2- have a dash cam video to ramble on about.

This. No more no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hungrycol wrote: »

409560.jpg

So-called...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just because you could argue the car had right of way (although you would fail a test based on that driving), the car is approaching a hazard and should be preparing to stop, just in case. Much the same way when a light has been green on approach, you don't keep gunning it as if it will stay green, you prepare yourself that it may change.

+1

But any cursory study of any junction with those red and green light things would show that a red light means keep going for up to 5 secs after it lights and green just means you can do what every you want including speeding up to avoid a possible red light..and repeat!
    As for Zebras, motorists are just not prepared to stop for these (as in they don't see the zebra a potential yield sign) and are generally going too fast to do so if the need arises.
    This commercial vehicle (possibly a truck) was going too fast and the driver was not paying attention. The cyclist was just inviting trouble and Hi Vis vest or not, will not always be so lucky if they cycle like they are the only road user.

• Advertisement
Advertisement