Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite finals tomorrow..

• 16-02-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

After the summer our boxers had and the allegations that were aimed at the judges, it will be interesting to see how the judging of our own elite finals go tomorrow night?

Anybody going to the finals tomorrow night?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Danye wrote: »
    After the summer our boxers had and the allegations that were aimed at the judges, it will be interesting to see how the judging of our own elite finals go tomorrow night?

Anybody going to the finals tomorrow night?

I'll be at it..excellent card..40 euro for ringside.

New "rule": If a 4-1 decision the judge who went against doesn't judge for the remainder of night. Personally I think that is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Danye

walshb wrote: »

New "rule": If a 4-1 decision the judge who went against doesn't judge for the remainder of night. Personally I think that is stupid.

Nonsensical that! Who are you watching out for? Undecided whether to head down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Is this for real? Can't see why this type of rule would be of any benefit. If a decision goes the wrong way then there will be more than one judge at fault.

I can see how it might work if one particular judge was identified as consistently getting it wrong, then they could be asked to step aside. must be some logical reason for it.

A friend of mine was at the semis and this "rule" was in place. Ridiculous. It simply puts undue pressure on the judges. They aren't judging as freely and as relaxed and as natural as possible.

What happens if the 4 get it "wrong" and the one gets it "right?"...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Stephen Broadhurst primed to bring the 75kg title back to Dundalk. Lost to Michael O'Neill in the final two years ago and took time out from boxing after that defeat. Back now though and ready to bring home the bacon. His sis Amy narrowly lost her semi final last weekend.

• Advertisement

Loads of good fights but the 81kg bout is what I'm really looking forward to. Interesting to see where Ward is at mentally wise. I heard he was tempted to turn over to the paid ranks. Tony Browne is a great prospect and seems to be around ages despite being only 21.

What's the carrot for winning Elite Finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Loads of good fights but the 81kg bout is what I'm really looking forward to. Interesting to see where Ward is at mentally wise. I heard he was tempted to turn over to the paid ranks. Tony Browne is a great prospect and seems to be around ages despite being only 21.

What's the carrot for winning Elite Finals?

That's a good question. Do winners earn a spot for the upcoming European Championships which is a qualifier for the Worlds? Not sure it works that way anymore, it's hard to know how teams are actually picked these days.

pac_man wrote: »
    Who was the set of geniuses that came up with that idea, IABA or is it going to be implemented globally?

Not sure. It was in place for semis. I assume it's just IABA. I see nothing to suggest AIBA created it. There was a fair few non unanimous decisions last night. Some good fights. Little disappointing overall I felt. Some far too cagey affairs...

One of the judges was 30-26 in favour of Ward which seems at serious odds with every account I've both heard and read. Has to be good for him that he's getting so severely tested at home, though, can only be of benefit in the long run.

On the women's side, good to see Ciara Ginty take over the lightweight mantle. Even in the absence of Taylor, I believe we are well serviced in the female division.

As you said, the rule is just stupid. Anyone stand out for you? I was looking forward to watching Walker and Mccomb but to be honest, I've seen them box better.

The best on the night for me was the 64 or 69 female winner... can't think of name. Excellent variety...

Men's side was Dean Walsh and Irvine..

Regarding Ward.. he deserved the verdict. Clearly win rd 1, but I would have scored it 10-9. One judge had it 10-8. Rds 2 and 3 were competitive, but Bates was just too negative. You could argue rd 3 for him, but the right man won.

• Advertisement

The best on the night for me was the 64 or 69 female winner... can't think of name. Excellent variety...

Men's side was Dean Walsh and Irvine..

Regarding Ward.. he deserved the verdict. Clearly win rd 1, but I would have scored it 10-9. One judge had it 10-8. Rds 2 and 3 were competitive, but Bates was just too negative. You could argue rd 3 for him, but the right man won.

I'd guess you're talking about Grainne Walsh in the 69. Very impressed with what I saw of her at the World Champs last year, still only 20 i think, big future ahead of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

Dean walsh was most impressive for me. Much better performance by him than in the semis.

Joe Ward lost the 3rd Round hands down - think 3 judges of the 5 gave it to ward. Farce to be honest... much like Rio Ward was puffing hard in the 3rd.

91 kg was much much tighter than the 5-0 suggests. Okungbowa worked much harder on the inside. Both himself and O'Neill landed big punches. I had Kenny winning just. Couldn't believe the 5-0...

The 30-26 score is not bad..I had it 29/28 Ward, but rd 3. could well have went to Ward, giving him 30/27 on my card. The only issue is rd 1.. 10/8 a little generous, but Ward won it well, so 10/8 a slight possibility.

91 was for me a clear win for O'Neill.

Biggest let down for me was Kellie at 60...very underwhelming performance.

91 kg was much much tighter than the 5-0 suggests. Okungbowa worked much harder on the inside. Both himself and O'Neill landed big punches. I had Kenny winning just. Couldn't believe the 5-0...

I don't get this. Just because a decision is unanimous doesn't mean a fight was not competitive or close. Plenty of 5/0 decisions could easily go 5/0 the other way. You could have a razor close fight going 5/0 either way,

In the O'Neill fight I think it would be difficult to argue it going the other way...

I don't get this. Just because a decision is unanimous doesn't mean a fight was not competitive or close. Plenty of 5/0 decisions could easily go 5/0 the other way. You could have a razor close fight going 5/0 either way,

In the O'Neill fight I think it would be difficult to argue it going the other way...

Agreed you could have razor close fights going either way but generally not 5-0. A razor close fight generally ends up as a split, with Judges style preferences being the decider.

O'Neill is the better boxer, with the established history. Better boxers don't always get the nod (91+kg is proof of that, Carty didn't work hard enough or land enough to win that fight)

I'd love to see thr 91kg fight back, it was after 11pm when they got into the ring and a long night of fights. But in my mind Kenny worked harder, threw and landed more punches in that fight and was the agressor.

The 30-26 score is not bad..I had it 29/28 Ward, but rd 3. could well have went to Ward, giving him 30/27 on my card. The only issue is rd 1.. 10/8 a little generous, but Ward won it well, so 10/8 a slight possibility.

Ward lost Rd 3. Period. I think it was Judge 1 who gave him 10-8 in the first round, and also gave him R3. Blinkers for Ward...

Don't get me wrong, I had Ward winning 1 and 2, just frustrating that if Rd 2 had been as 1 sided as round 3 Ward still would have come away with the win due to those 3 judges.

Nevermind the 10:8 first round, Ward hardly threw a punch in that third round and it was really absurd that he got the nod from the majority of the judges for that round. I've no issues with him winning the other two. It's a pity there's no TV coverage.

Maybe I need to watch rd 3 again. I thought the crowd may have given more the impression that Bates was winning the rd with the roaring every time he threw a punch. There was very little clean shots landed by him, and he was clearly more negative. I do remember saying that Bates got rd 3, but I was not convinced. It was not all that clear.

Maybe I need to watch rd 3 again. I thought the crowd may have given more the impression that Bates was winning the rd with the roaring every time he threw a punch. There was very little clean shots landed by him, and he was clearly more negative. I do remember saying that Bates got rd 3, but I was not convinced. It was not all that clear.

Browne - Not Bates.

• Advertisement

Browne - Not Bates.

Thanks...

I'd guess you're talking about Grainne Walsh in the 69. Very impressed with what I saw of her at the World Champs last year, still only 20 i think, big future ahead of her.

That's her. Very skilled. Very natural. Little short for that weight though.

Advertisement