Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collectors didn't give their name or company

Options
  • 17-02-2017 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

A friend of mine is in a situation. She is currently being pursued for money she 'owes'. Long story. A debt collector went to her work whom she had never had any correspondence with and informed her he was a debt collector there on behalf of a creditor. He asked her to contact the creditor directly. The poor girl was a little in shock and embarrassed over him coming into her workplace.( I would be exact same ). She never asked ID as her being a little put out. She was waiting to go to court so she could dispute the matter. She has contacted the creditor to ask him for the debt collectors details to dispute the matter with him legally and ask him not to call to her workplace. What can she do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Debt collector or debt collection agency? The creditor may have sent someone to your friend's workplace to collect payment, a debt collection agency often buys the debt from the creditor.

Either way, your friend should deal with the creditor only, not the debt collector.

What kind of creditor are we talking about here, a utility provider, mechanic, shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JenM1984

davo10 wrote: »
    Debt collector or debt collection agency? The creditor may have sent someone to your friend's workplace to collect payment, a debt collection agency often buys the debt from the creditor.

Either way, your friend should deal with the creditor only, not the debt collector.

What kind of creditor are we talking about here, a utility provider, mechanic, shop?

She said he said he was a debt collector and there was another man with him. She doesn't think there real debt collectors. Neither do I to be honest. Is the creditor obliged to give details about his debt collector if she requests it? As she genuinely has no contact for them to dispute it.
    It's a car salesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the best thing to do is just ignore the debt collectors and only deal with the creditor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

If there is a pending legal dispute I doubt that the collectors have any entitlement to insist on money as that is plain intimidation as were the tactics employed.

As mentioned above the creditor may have sold the debt. Alternatively, the creditor may have engaged these people to pursue a debt. They are certainly entitled to request payment of an alleged unproven debt. However, they do not have supra-legal powers i.e. they do not have the authority to enforce payment of a disputed debt that has yet to be litigated in court.

If they turn up again I would do 3 things ;

1. Inform the gents in question that the alleged debt is in dispute and you will not be dealing with them.

2. Inform them that you are proceeding as at 3 below.

3. Telephone the Gardaí and report them under S.10 of the Non-Fatal offences against the Person Act 1997. This deals with the offence of harassment.Link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10l Telephone the Gardaí every time they turn up.

BTW if there is a genuine debt of some degree try and resolve it with the creditor on the best possible terms if they pursue it further as these problems can become very messy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement