Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools Athenry

Options
  • 17-02-2017 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi there. My daughter starts school in 2019 and we are in the position that we aren't sure where we are going to be living by then as we want to buy a house and we don't know where to buy one. I work in loughrea and he works in tuam so all signs are pointing to athenry. The problem is ensuring a place in a good primary school for our daughter as I'm.aware of waiting lists etc. And we don't know the lay of the land. Any recommendations on great primary schools in athenry we could look into? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

detoxkid wrote: »
    Hi there. My daughter starts school in 2019 and we are in the position that we aren't sure where we are going to be living by then as we want to buy a house and we don't know where to buy one. I work in loughrea and he works in tuam so all signs are pointing to athenry. The problem is ensuring a place in a good primary school for our daughter as I'm.aware of waiting lists etc. And we don't know the lay of the land. Any recommendations on great primary schools in athenry we could look into? Thanks

The first question, and which seems a massive invasion of privacy, is to ask about your religious status and that of your child. That will determine which schools you can get into.
    By school do you mean the ECE or junior infants?
    RN

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

The first question, and which seems a massive invasion of privacy, is to ask about your religious status and that of your child. That will determine which schools you can get into.
    By school do you mean the ECE or junior infants?
    RN
    Thanks for coming back! My child is Catholic but if a better school is non denominatable then I'm all for it. I'm talking about junior infants, though if u know of a good feeder ece even better

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

I'd highly recommend Gaelscoil Riada in Athenry, Great school with really good teachers. Don't let the portacabins put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

If it's the town you're interested in, then there are only two choices, the girl school or the Gael scoil. I think all the schools are great, truth is, we worry about 'good' schools and if I'm to be totally honest, that usually means will my child be a) bullied or b) educationally underachieving? Oh, I think I'm heading down a bit of an educational rabbit hole discussion here....:eek:

I'd say none of those worries apply here (and at secondary school, it's about university no? All the secondary schools are pretty solid too).

Meanwhile, if you're not in the town itself, Lisheenkyle has got a great rep due to the amount of access to music among other things (they've a school orchestra!!)

Advertisement