Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God damn Negan

• 17-02-2017 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I haven't posted to boards in a while so this has probably been discussed aquite a bit already (unless I am the only one who feels this way, which I doubt I am)

Negan...

This guy is ruining the season in general and definitely every scene he unfortunately happens to be in...for me anyway. I hate nlhim not because he is an effective bad guy, but because he is just annoying the arse off me. That other guy simon (Steve ogg/Trevor from GTA 5) is a better villain.

I think it is JDM's portrayal of Negan rather than the character itself that I grinding my gears (although I don't know how closely he is playing on his mannerisms as I haven't read the comics)

1. The overacting of EVERYTHING...its like he has been told - Jeffrey, this is last scene you are ever going to do as an actor....give it everything you've got. A plate of cheese with a side order of ham comes by default with everything when Negan is around

2. The constant **** eating grin/smile on his face 99% of the time (this could possibly be a trait of the character as opposed to JDM's interpretation of him). Ffs...give a little extra spectrum to your facial expressions

3. That STUPID bending the knees a little and lean back thing he does for everything he says...is it supposed to add extra menace to the words? It doesn't, it just annoys me because it was interesting at the start but now saturated the screen with it and I expect it to happen in most scenes that he is in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭storker

I haven't posted to boards in a while so this has probably been discussed aquite a bit already (unless I am the only one who feels this way, which I doubt I am)

Negan...

This guy is ruining the season in general and definitely every scene he unfortunately happens to be in...for me anyway. I hate nlhim not because he is an effective bad guy, but because he is just annoying the arse off me. That other guy simon (Steve ogg/Trevor from GTA 5) is a better villain.

I think it is JDM's portrayal of Negan rather than the character itself that I grinding my gears (although I don't know how closely he is playing on his mannerisms as I haven't read the comics)

1. The overacting of EVERYTHING...its like he has been told - Jeffrey, this is last scene you are ever going to do as an actor....give it everything you've got. A plate of cheese with a side order of ham comes by default with everything when Negan is around

2. The constant **** eating grin/smile on his face 99% of the time (this could possibly be a trait of the character as opposed to JDM's interpretation of him). Ffs...give a little extra spectrum to your facial expressions

3. That STUPID bending the knees a little and lean back thing he does for everything he says...is it supposed to add extra menace to the words? It doesn't, it just annoys me because it was interesting at the start but now saturated the screen with it and I expect it to happen in most scenes that he is in.

Yep, yep, yep and yep. Side order of ham? He's giving it the whole pig.

The only part I'd didagree with is the bit about Trevor. He's just as annoying because he comes across as just a wannabe Negan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

In fairness I noticed the Trevor guy did the knee bend thing is the latest episode too and it was just as annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Maybe it is just becoming a generic bad guy thing to do...like licking a knife menacingly or explaining your master plan before trying to dispatch your nemesis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

donegal. wrote: »

In fairness, that's spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

100 per cent agree with the OP. It's like he's been told to ham it up to an OTT level, akin to a character in an Austin Powers movie. It's infuriating and tbh I don't know if he's even the worst character when you consider King Ezequiel with the CGI tiger and the Shakespearean prose.

Honestly the show has departed so much from the early seasons that it now resembles the kind of hokey programme you'd find on the Syfy channel, but with even worse acting.

I think the only hope for change is if the ratings start to tank and they decide to return to a more serious, edgy show where the walkers are actually a legit menace; as opposed to what we have now where cartoon characters steal the limelight while the walkers become peripheral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

it's a shame they didnt cast that gta 5 guy as negan instead he steals the show when he's on screen. I also agree negan is not doing it for me, i mean especially going of governor he really is not that intimidating in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

You'd really miss the golden days of the Governor. That was a bad guy that I could buy into. He wasn't overacted and the character had a proper background and a great story arc.
    Those were the seasons where I literally compulsively binged until 4am.
    Nowadays I'm lucky if I remember it's on from week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Unfortunately I think we have now witnessed the show "jump the shark" .......
    I fully expected Michonne to crease up into laughter during that god awful junk yard scene.
    terrible stuff.

Well at least we now know what the extras who usually play zombies every week have been up to !
    they have been hanging out at that junk yard masquerading as humans.

every single one of them couldn't act their way out of a paper bag.
    sad to say it but I think we have seen the show finally do a "Dexter" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Lone Stone wrote: »
    it's a shame they didnt cast that gta 5 guy as negan instead he steals the show when he's on screen. I also agree negan is not doing it for me, i mean especially going of governor he really is not that intimidating in comparison.

Fuck that, Garret Dillahunt wanted the role, he would have been perfect for it to :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

REEEEEEEEEE

C5TOsG4UEAAmxVz.jpg:small

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

claiva wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think we have now witnessed the show "jump the shark" .......
    I fully expected Michonne to crease up into laughter during that god awful junk yard scene.
    terrible stuff.

Well at least we now know what the extras who usually play zombies every week have been up to !
    they have been hanging out at that junk yard masquerading as humans.

every single one of them couldn't act their way out of a paper bag.
    sad to say it but I think we have seen the show finally do a "Dexter" !

The extras in the furnace scene in this weeks episode were atrocious too, there was one girl completely hamming up the facial reactions behind Negan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I wouldn't blame the actor as such. The show does have a director who tells the actor what he wants. The actor is likely just giving the director what he asks for, and that's apparently ham turned up to 11.

I actually think the show lost its nerve a little with Negan. The Governor was just as cartoonish in the comics. But David Morrissey grew (and was allowed to grow) the character into someone recognisably human, charismatic and insane. Something similar could have been done with Negan but the mood has changed, the show seems less confident and is more determined to just ape the comics and give the audience what they think they want. Which is a wisecracking guy with a baseball bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah here the Governor was really overacted as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's amazing how a character thats supposed to provide so much menace through unpredictability is so completely ineffectual. Whenever he's doing his thing, there's no tension whatsoever, it's more comical than anything else.

I think Trevor from GTA is actually far more menacing. Although maybe that's me associating the game character with the guy in TWD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Steven Ogg has a maniacal grin, I think that's what so effective about him. He's smiling broadly, but his eyes say "I will cut a bitch".

I'm in two minds about Negan. The whole 'leaning backwards' constantly thing is wearing thin now. Although when JDM wants to bring the menace, he certainly can bring it. I would have been interested to see what sort of a take Henry Rollins would have given to the character, had he been cast. I heard that comic book Negan is based on him, physically at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

The comic book Negan is far more physically imposing and can be quite humorous. The "over the top" stuff seems to play much better in the comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lucille made a guest appearance in the latest episode of Supernatural.

Advertisement