Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allegations regarding housing theft...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Whatever happened, the property was purchased, not stolen, thread title is misleading
    Agreed. Will let mods adjust as they see fit.
    Situation smells though and if a case that they evaded correct payment due to position and/or insider knowledge let it be changed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rgace wrote: »
    A person was eleigible for an affordable house as long as the mortgage payments on the full market value of the house would exceed 35 percent of their after tax income. So they would be sold the house at a discounted price which brought their mortgage payments under 35 percent of their income after tax.

Yes or nope?

Obviously, they would have to be able to afford the mortgage payments also.

Nope.

It's all in the link I provided earlier.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/affordable_housing.html

A person had to be
    1) eligible for social housing, AND
    2) eligible for affordable housing (the first 35% criteria), AND
    3) able to afford the affordable house (the second 35% criteria: " subject to repayments being no more than 35% of the household's net income after tax and social insurance (PRSI)."

I've been told (don't have evidence) that the third point was sticky for lots of potential applicants: as house prices rose, so did the amount they would have to pay to service a loan. So affordable houses became unaffordable, and thus empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Nope.

It's all in the link I provided earlier.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/affordable_housing.html

A person had to be
    1) eligible for social housing, AND
    2) eligible for affordable housing (the first 35% criteria), AND
    3) able to afford the affordable house (the second 35% criteria: " subject to repayments being no more than 35% of the household's net income after tax and social insurance (PRSI)."

I've been told (don't have evidence) that the third point was sticky for lots of potential applicants: as house prices rose, so did the amount they would have to pay to service a loan. So affordable houses became unaffordable, and thus empty.

I am not sure what you are saying nope to.

Advertisement