Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Haul Travel at 27 Weeks Pregnant

Options
  • 17-02-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All! We would really appreciate some advice from some experienced Mums and Dads on the following: As part of a work-holiday, my husband & I hope to be able to go to South Africa when I am 27 weeks pregnant in April. This is our first :) and I am a low risk pregnancy. We will be returning on week 28. We plan to fly via Dubai and spend a few nights in Dubai both ways to break up the flights and allow the body recover. I have a fit and healthy pregnancy to date, thankfully. We have checked with airline and docs. and once i am still good the week before they are happy to give me the go-ahead. I will be taking out extra insurance too to cover any emergencies when abroad (touch wood won't need!). So guys, any advice from anyone who travelled long-haul in the past at this stage? I am quite small still so am hoping my body won't be yet enormous but you never know! Plan to move about and drink a lot of water on flights. Time spent in Dubai and South Africa will be mostly spent relaxing with the feet up in the shade! No threat of Zika currently in either destination. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks! E x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lilypadd

Just from my own experience Millie I had a great experience flying long haul pregnant. I went to Dubai at 26 weeks on my last pregnancy and didn't have any problems. I found the time away great to be honest and spent the whole time relaxing, reading, swimming and eating lovely food, i was very good to myself! I wasn't uncomfortable on the flight even though I thought I would be. I plan to go to Chicago at around the same stage with this pregnancy, all going well. The only complaint I had were my high emotions! I was in tears watching frozen on the flight out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Went to Florida and California around same stage as you, OP.
    Unfortunately, I'd only just started getting SPD so the trip was a little tougher for me than would've been otherwise. Flight was OK but main thing was to keep really hydrated, wear compression socks and walk around the cabin every 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

A bit earlier than you're asking about, but I flew to oz at 16 weeks on my first, travelled around for a month, and flew home at 20 weeks. Had a great time. No problems, except for feeling sick with every landing (lots of internal flights). I was on my own too (I went over to friends) for the journey.
    I would advise making sure you have a sick bag, but otherwise enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 millie0

Thanks to all for the replies! Much appreciated!

Advertisement