Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How perishable are Whey Protein supplements

• 17-02-2017 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

I have a 1kg pouch of Whey protein from MyProtein.

Do you have to drink this immediately after mixing.

If so if it's added to hot cereal will it denature.

If its used in recipes does it denature cos it would not be eaten instantly e.g used in protein bar recipes.

How should it be stored and what is its shelf life.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You don't have to eat it immediately after mixing, but I'm not sure why you'd mix it before you plan to drink it. It won't be harmful after a few hours, but it won't be very nice.
    Adding to hot cereal is fine. It comes from mik, not different to having warm milk drinks.
    It's a common ingredient in commercial recipes. I think you are overthinking it a bit.
    Store it in its container in the press, there's probably a best before date on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I tend to mix mine in the morning around 7am, and have it at 12pm.

Always wondered did the time make a difference to the affects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Once it's mixed I treat it like milk. It'll last a few hours outside the fridge but starts to go bad pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patrickcabo

Just keep it in a normal press with the bag closed it will last for whatever the best before date is on the bag. As it is a dried product you will be fairly safe eating it after that date too. If you want to mix the shake a while before drinking it as someone else said treat it like milk it will last a few hours out of the fridge. Add ice if you want it to last longer. If you are using it in recipes it will probably last the same as a normal baked good would. It will also be fine in hot cereal.

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Thanks lads, can this be stored in the fridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It should say on the packaging to store in a cool, dry place. Any normal press will do. The hot probably wouldn't be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Thanks, I just don't want to ruin it after getting it delivered.

It seems very good btw and mixes well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You'd need to be pretty careless with it to ruin it. It takes me a while to get through what I have...6+ months probably and what I have has been in the kitchen. Not the coolest place and often more humid. But it's in a press and it's closed properly so no problems.

Advertisement