Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a unsolicted call from Taxback.ie

Options
  • 17-02-2017 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

I got an unsolicited call from Taxback.ie last night
    They had my mobile number and name and insisted they were replying to an application I had made on Feb 4th for a consultation

The email address they stated was used to request the call was wrong and not one I have ever used but was a variation of my name.

Did some research and Taxback looks a legit enterprise , has anybody else heard of taxback phising for business.
    Could this be an indication of something more sinister like identity theft?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're legit (although the service they provide is not hard to do yourself, its a laziness tax). I'd go to the Data Protection Commisioner about how they got your number - there are possibilities that could be very dodgy in terms of database matching. A quick look and I can't see a webform to put details on, just an email address to send to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They are a legitimate company - did the call come from Kilkenny? That's where they're based.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    They are a legitimate company - did the call come from Kilkenny? That's where they're based.

It was a Dublin number 018871999
    Which a quick google says is their office in Stephens Green

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Confirming they are legit, I used to work in the same building in Kilkenny.

The callback is initiated by filling in the online form: https://www.taxback.com/en/ireland/paye-tax-refund-application-form/

You could try and validate some other information they may have (say, a line of your address, or the town you live in) - if the details are way off, it may be just a typo in the phone number and a coincidence on your name. If not, would someone have filled this on your behalf?

It's not obvious on the website, but by filling in one of those forms, you are giving Taxback full permission to speak to Revenue on your behalf, with the sharing of details that entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Spocker wrote: »
    If not, would someone have filled this on your behalf?
    I suppose this is what I am worried about nobody who could legitimately claim on my behalf has or would contact Taxback and I am wondering if this could be one step in identity theft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement