Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google ChromeCast Audio - €14.99 CurrysPCWorld

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Excellent find. Thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Home delivery not available, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great little devices. I have a great stereo system that had been pretty unused for a few years until I got the Chromecast Audio.

Bargain at €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Mr E wrote: »
    Great little devices. I have a great stereo system that had been pretty unused for a few years until I got the Chromecast Audio.

Bargain at €15.

Ditto. Anyone with a redundant home audio system with an audio IN port should be all over this. Coupled with Spotify family(cough), it's simply superb, and at €15, it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How long will they hold it in store for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Shedloads of them in Liffey Valley Retail park, just inside the door. Nice staff were at pains to point out that this is the audio version. There must be an awful lot of people who go back in moaning when they can't stream video with this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

anyone use these for multiroom audio?.... i have an amazon echo... wonder if i can integrate with this for cheap multiroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

vicwatson wrote: »
    Home delivery not available, what?

1. Selling them for cheap gets you into the shop, maybe while you're there you'll buy something else.
    2. Selling them for cheap online usually means a heap of them pop up on ebay shortly thereafter.

For 15 quid, this is a great buy, got mine for 20 and very happy with it. (No way it's worth 40 though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think they sold them at this price some time ago, well worth picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just a word of warning on their reserve to collect - I've reserved 3 items at 3 different times to turn up at the shop and find that they had since sold out. They said the the website is essentially a separate entity and does not reserve the stock in the store.

They also couldn't contact the web team directly, only through the customer support line and they said the wait would be too long for them to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

just got 2 from Liffey Valley, should be more user friendly my current bluetoth solution in bedroom (i.e. not being able to connect when wife's phone is connected, even though she isn't using it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

J o e wrote: »
    Just a word of warning on their reserve to collect - I've reserved 3 items at 3 different times to turn up at the shop and find that they had since sold out. They said the the website is essentially a separate entity and does not reserve the stock in the store.

They also couldn't contact the web team directly, only through the customer support line and they said the wait would be too long for them to do it.

That's bs. I reserved 2 this morning in Mahon Cork and when I collected them they were waiting for me behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

Hi guys, stupid Q but how does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Add to a audio in on any stereo set up with the app on your network stream music direct to it or cast spotify have mine on my sound bar works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Thanks OP

Loads of stock in Jervis St for anyone in town thinking of getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rod1983

Can you use this in the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

rod1983 wrote: »
    Can you use this in the car?

no, should be connected to same wifi network as your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

How is this any different from bluetooth?

Jlayay wrote: »

It uses wi-fi for a start so that proximity is irrelevant if on the same network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Jlayay wrote: »

It is using WiFi rather than Bluetooth. If you have ever used a normal Chromecast to listen to music via your TV then this is a cut down version that has no HDMI out, just audio. So it is Chromecast but audio only. Needs a device that can cast, like a phone, to work. In my case I have a Google Home and this will be ideal to send music to my sound system without having to have the TV turned on to use my normal Chromecast.

I am having difficulty reserving on the site, nothing happens when I click reserve. Anyone else seeing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

tonto24 wrote: »
    Hi guys, stupid Q but how does it work?

Chromecast Audio is a small device that plugs into your speaker for streaming music through Wi-Fi.
    Once set up, simply use your iPhone®, iPad®, Android phone and tablet, Mac® and Windows® laptop, or Chromebook to stream your favourite tunes to the best speakers in the house.

More info HERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I have 2 of these.

One using AUX and one using Optical.

You can do multi-room with these (all speakers playing at the same time) and add a delay if not playing in sync.

I use Localcast (Android app) to stream music from my device(s) locally, or of course these are perfect for Google Music / Spotify.

At 15, they are a steal.

Just set mine up with an ancient stereo in our utility room. Very straightforward. Downloaded the Google Home app to setup and then the Google Play Music app onto my iPhone and was able to cast from it to the speakers.

Very annoying that Apple won't let its Music app cast to the Chromecast. So I will now overnight upload my c. 19000 tracks to Google Play Music as Google has a 50,000 track limit.

€15 is a steal for this. Still £30 on the UK site...most unusual for Ireland to get the better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

Very good deal. Just picked one up also this evening. Half thinking of getting another at that price. Thanks op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Nice one OP. Great deal. Pity there is no way around having to plug it in to a power point though. Ah well, another double adapter it is!

Pique wrote: »
    Nice one OP. Great deal. Pity there is no way around having to plug it in to a power point though. Ah well, another double adapter it is!
    I have mine powered from the USB on my sound bar. A stereo with USB port would do the same

sioda wrote:
    I have mine powered from the USB on my sound bar. A stereo with USB port would do the same

Yeah, but old systems etc etc. I have an old Bose Wave system from 2001 that sounds class but is way before the trend of USB ports on stereos. Didn't stop me buying the Chromecast, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is there any way to use it with a headphone Jack?

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Is there any way to use it with a headphone Jack?
    No needs to be a aux in not out unfortunately

1. Selling them for cheap gets you into the shop, maybe while you're there you'll buy something else.
    2. Selling them for cheap online usually means a heap of them pop up on ebay shortly thereafter.

For 15 quid, this is a great buy, got mine for 20 and very happy with it. (No way it's worth 40 though)
    If it can revive a now redundant (but still excellent by sound output/quality standards) home stereo, then it is most definitely worth €40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Thanks op,mines collected,into the old CD player in the shed this is going , Spotify workouts,great addition for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

sioda wrote: »

If folks get 'ground loop' issues when using the Chromecast Audio (crackling/pops from your speakers) be sure to use the provided PSU OR use the optical output from it if your amp has an optical input. The provided adapter isn't just a standard/cheap 5V USB PSU.

Great deal at that price :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

Quick question. I have the video version. Would that do the same job with audio, I.e. Would it cast audio as well as video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

WHL wrote: »
    Quick question. I have the video version. Would that do the same job with audio, I.e. Would it cast audio as well as video

On Android you can connect to the Chromecast Audio just like you would do a bluetooth receiver rather than in a video app itself like YouTube. There will be a delay in video/audio though, just like a bluetooth receiver.
    The cast option directly in YouTube won't show Chromecast Audio devices, only normal Chromecast video recievers

• Advertisement

For purely audio purposes, the OP is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yes. But the video version has a HDMI output so your stereo needs a HDMI input, which it probably doesn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Most modern televisions have an optical output so assuming your amp has an optical input then the video version will work for streaming music. However if you have a television with no optical and only HDMI and your amp has optical but no HDMI..... then you're screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I think WHL is just asking can you use a normal Chromecast on a tv for audio only.
    You can, Google music works anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Awww man,you can connect to your stereo in the car and play your Spotify ...

Spent nearly 200 on a parrot kit mainly for this reason lol..

Mgt get another one now to have in case I change car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shaneos

Got one in carrickmines. There were only a few left, and no price posted. Though the did scan at 14.99

Awww man,you can connect to your stereo in the car and play your Spotify ...

Spent nearly 200 on a parrot kit mainly for this reason lol..

Mgt get another one now to have in case I change car

No, you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Mahon Point had another offer in-store of a regular Chromecast plus an Audio Chromecast for €49.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Loads in Currys/PcWorld in Liffey valley today. Inside the door with big signs and at all tills. Defo no shortage.

What I didn't know before buying is you need Spotify premium to cast to the Chromecast audio. Not to end of the world but I think I would have found a similar device for a similar price if I'd known that before purchasing.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

kcb wrote:
    Mahon Point had another offer in-store of a regular Chromecast plus an Audio Chromecast for €49.99.

That's a seriously good deal!
    FrostyJim wrote:
    What I didn't know before buying is you need Spotify premium to cast to the Chromecast audio. Not to end of the world but I think I would have found a similar device for a similar price if I'd known that before purchasing.

Ah ****! Is Deezer the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Patww79 wrote: »
    Does Spotify even work on a phone if it's not Premium?

Yes, you can cast to regular Chromecast but not cc audio.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement