Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google ChromeCast Audio - €14.99 CurrysPCWorld

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's mad. Spotify are strange though, they were very resistant to even allow any casting from their app, even the premium one. It's only pretty recently that they do.

I guess Google play music is as rival so by forcing people to get Spotify premium they get one over on Google.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jobless wrote: »
    anyone use these for multiroom audio?.... i have an amazon echo... wonder if i can integrate with this for cheap multiroom

Yes, you can use these for multiroom audio. You can group them and cast to them simultaneously for a cheap multiroom setup.

No it doesn't work with Amazon Echo, but it does work with Google Home, Googles version of the echo. You can ask Google Home to play music from spotify on multiple CCA. I've this set up and it is amazing. Great for parties, etc.
    This post has been deleted.

I think it is more due to licensing issues with the Music industry. I'm sure Spotify wold love to just make it available everywhere, but the big 5 music companies control so much and like to dick around with new services like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

FrostyJim wrote: »
    What I didn't know before buying is you need Spotify premium to cast to the Chromecast audio. Not to end of the world but I think I would have found a similar device for a similar price if I'd known that before purchasing.

I cast the tracks on my iphone using the allcast app to chromecast audio no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

whats this about needing spotify premium ?

Can you not cast YouTube from your phone to a stereo and listen to it via audio only ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

whats this about needing spotify premium ?

Can you not cast YouTube from your phone to a stereo and listen to it via audio only ?

Crossed wires.

The point is that Spotify Free does not permit Chromecast but Spotify Premium does.

There are many other free ways to play music through Chromecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

dodzy wrote: »
    No, you can't.

From reddit

I currently use my Chromecast Audio in my car and it works fantastic. The sound quality is superior to any Bluetooth solution I've come across.

I could not find a way in a short period of time to configure the CCA using the same phone that was hosting the network. I got around this by creating the SSID I wanted the CCA to connect to on my home network and joined my phone to it as well. The Chromecast app didn't have any problems with this and allowed me to set it up. Once I was done, I disabled the SSID on my home network and setup my phone with the exact same SSID and password for its hotspot. The CCA connects to it and it and it works like any other Chromecast.

Google how to guide,Chromecast audio in your car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Does anyone know if Pandora allows streaming to this if one were able to get pandora in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Sort of linked to this, where do people get speakers? Everywhere I look you can only buy wireless speakers which are more expensive and negate the need for the Chromecast anyway. The whole idea of these is to make a normal speaker wireless but I haven't got one in the house at all and I don't imagine many people have.

Is there another use for them that I'm missing?

I'm sure most people use it to connect to an old stereo they have sitting around the house. Personally, I've used it to connect to my surround sound system, and it's great.

• Advertisement

Central they connect an old stereo with tape/cd decks and a radio and all? I thought it had to be a set of standalone speakers.

Yeah, you just need a stereo/amp with aux/optical in and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just ordered two for collection in limerick. Will collect later and update if there is many left in store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Just picked one up thanks op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Does anyone know if Pandora allows streaming to this if one were able to get pandora in ireland
    The cast symbol appears and will connect but audio won't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Already have two Chromecast Audios and picked up a another 3 thanks to this thread. Thanks OP!

Chromecast tip: if using with a decent stereo or hifi setup always pair the device with a semi decent DAC for a huge upgrade in sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone recommend small single speakers to use?

I have about 6 of these - never enjoyed my poohs as much as I do now with Spotify in the background, you can barely even hear the plop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just ordered two for collection in limerick. Will collect later and update if there is many left in store.

Home and all set up, fantastic! There was bout 20 left and they were doing the chrome cast and audio for 49 for the two. May go pick up more if they aren't gone by payday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I picked up two in Liffey Valley this afternoon, not many left on display by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just tried the one i have on a kitchen mini-hifi and the sound quality was very poor on the aux in with some interference too...anyone have any ideas? Not sure the aux-in cable was the correct one so that could be it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

ablelocks wrote: »
    just tried the one i have on a kitchen mini-hifi and the sound quality was very poor on the aux in with some interference too...anyone have any ideas? Not sure the aux-in cable was the correct one so that could be it...

Someone suggested to use the USB power adapter provided to prevent possible noise. It's not an ordinary adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Go into the Google Home app.

Edit settings for the CCA and enable Full Dynamic Range.

That may help

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Picked one up in Limerick today as well so thanks OP. Up and running after a small hiccup.

I hooked it up to my separates stereo but the cable I had was borked so I had to get a new one (it's a 3.5mm to phono one, not the little yellow one in the box).
    Second small issue was I use Google play music on my phone, but I couldn't cast within the app. I had to use the cast from the pull down menu to do it properly. Sound is good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Seemed to back up to 40 this evening in airside.

Seemed to back up to 40 this evening in airside.

They didn't have the cheap price displayed in Limerick today either but once I asked about it they were happy to sell at €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I have a decent little stereo in the mancave which I thought would perfect for this, got it home, and it seems the "in" function at the back doesn't take the lead from the Chromecast:mad:

Anyone any suggestions?

This is the stereo system. https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/CMT-CPX11

If the inputs are red and white, you need a 3.5mm to phono cable, same as me.
    Picked one up in Argos for €12.95 today.

Edit: link to one in maplin. Can't find the link for Argos for some reason
    http://www.maplin.ie/p/maplin-essentials-35mm-stereo-jack-to-twin-phono-cable-15m-a77nu

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

I have a decent little stereo in the mancave which I thought would perfect for this, got it home, and it seems the "in" function at the back doesn't take the lead from the Chromecast:mad:

Anyone any suggestions?

This is the stereo system. https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/CMT-CPX11

As Wise_Old_Elf suggested the 3.5mm to phono would work. I picked up this in Currys along with the Chromecast and it should work too.
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/logik-l15doc15-15m-digital-optical-cable/333018/397.1.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

As Wise_Old_Elf suggested the 3.5mm to phono would work. I picked up this in Currys along with the Chromecast and it should work too.
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/logik-l15doc15-15m-digital-optical-cable/333018/397.1.6

It's an Opt Out toslink on that Sony (and my older one) so it's RCA analogue only ... a pity, as I ordered a similar cable & adaptor jack plug from Aliexpress for €2.76.

At least I'll have five months to cry it out before it comes through the letterbox :pac:

Thanks guys.

The wife got me that as a Christmas present back in 04, and it was way ahead of anything else at the time, has mp3 playback etc, and the sound is unreal so never seen the need to upgrade it if I'm honest.

I currently have the Chromecast hooked into my Bluetooth speakers but they're way behind the Sony for sound.

Will order the relevant lead required from Amazon. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

styron wrote: »
    It's an Opt Out toslink on that Sony (and my older one) so it's RCA analogue only ... a pity, as I ordered a similar cable & adaptor jack plug from Aliexpress for €2.76.

At least I'll have five months to cry it out before it comes through the letterbox :pac:

Sorry folks. I really should've RTFM'd on that one.

Sorry folks. I really should've RTFM'd on that one.

Naah ... always presumed my RX70 was opt in even after RTFM yesterday, only after checking your FM did I spot the "craziness" of opt out for an amp on both systems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Loads of stock still left in Jervis Centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

bromley52 wrote: »
    Someone suggested to use the USB power adapter provided to prevent possible noise. It's not an ordinary adapter
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    Go into the Google Home app.

Edit settings for the CCA and enable Full Dynamic Range.

That may help

plugging it into the wall made a difference to the interference. (there is a usb port on the unit, but it was designed for a usb memory stick. hi-tech for 2007!)

turning off full dynamic range helped with the sound quality, but it's still a bit off. now to find the original cable that came with it and that might be the final piece....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

For anybody that has mentioned using this in the car.....it does work as I have followed a thread on Reddit that explains how to do it.

I described how to do it the last time when they were reduced:
    1. Get a second phone and rename the mobile hotspot and password to the same as your own phone.
    2. Set up Chromecast using your own phone and the second phone as the wifi hotspot.
    3. Disconnect your second phone.
    4. Turn on WiFi hotspot on your own phone should work to cast to Chromecast Audio.

Thanks to the OP. Picked up another today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

plugging it into the wall made a difference to the interference. (there is a usb port on the unit, but it was designed for a usb memory stick. hi-tech for 2007!)

turning off full dynamic range helped with the sound quality, but it's still a bit off. now to find the original cable that came with it and that might be the final piece....

Turning off helped? I've found the opposite, but whatever works for you is the best option

Got the required lead, and mine is working flawlessly. Breathing new life into an almost redundant stereo system.

Thanks OP. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Have been interested in these since they came out, way to expensive compared to the video version. Got one yesterday in blanch, they still had a few more left. Price was 40 on the display but 15 at checkout.

Just need to get a optical cable as I didn't realise the supplied cable was analogue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

jozi wrote: »
    Have been interested in these since they came out, way to expensive compared to the video version. Got one yesterday in blanch, they still had a few more left. Price was 40 on the display but 15 at checkout.

Just need to get a optical cable as I didn't realise the supplied cable was analogue
    Dunno how you came to that conclusion. Cheap as chips for what it does.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

Specially when the other Chromecast is already 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

dodzy wrote: »
    Dunno how you came to that conclusion. Cheap as chips for what it does.

Apologies, what I meant was that they are to expensive at 40e. But at 15e I think they are just right

sheepy01 wrote: »
    Specially when the other Chromecast is already 40

Horses for courses. I've both, and the audio gets far more use. Sign of the times I suppose to say that a 40€ device is classed as 'way overpriced'.

Tempting to think of it as a disabled audio only Chromecast and price reduce accordingly. It's a bit more: a decent DAC reviving old Hi-Fi, casts up to 24 bit / 96 kHz FLAC, multi-room link up possible and not as locked down app-wise as it could be.

I now have one of these in every room of my flat...

• Advertisement

I now have one of these in every room of my flat...
    Username now fits ;)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Also just to be clear, it's possible to use Spotify Free with this as long as you cast the phone's audio (as you can't cast from within the app).

Quackster wrote: »
    Also just to be clear, it's possible to use Spotify Free with this as long as you cast the phone's audio (as you can't car from within the app).

Does the sound continue to come out if the phone speakers also then too though?

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Does the sound continue to come out if the phone speakers also then too though?
    No

No

Can't believe I didn't cop that myself. Thanks for pointing it out. Main reason I bought one for Spotify so this comes as great news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement