Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosted SharePoint Foundation Server

Options
  • 17-02-2017 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

I am trying to learn a little about Microsoft SharePoint but I don't have access to a server running SharePoint. I have SharePoint Designer installed on my laptop but I need to connect to a server with SharePoint Foundation 2013 on it.
    I have looked online but they are all services that have a monthly charge. I could get a spare lappie and install Foundation Server on that but it would have to have good specs (with server 2012 on it probably).
    I can't install it on the lappie that has SharePoint Designer as it has Windows Home Edition on it.
    It has to be a laptop because I need to practice on it in more than one physical location. I also kind of need to get it up and running asap.
    Is there a fast and cheap solution?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nus 100% on this but isn't there an option for free hosting time using azure for new signups?

Might have to use a new live account but that only costs a gmail account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

From personal experience you need someone who knows share point and the ecosystem to set it up right.

It's also fairly resource hungry.

Depending on what you want to do with it, there are better options out there.

What are you trying to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

colm_c wrote: »
    From personal experience you need someone who knows share point and the ecosystem to set it up right.

It's also fairly resource hungry.

Depending on what you want to do with it, there are better options out there.

What are you trying to do with it?

I got it working over the weekend and this morning. I used an old laptop with a partitioned drive, the specs aren't great (2 GB RAM and Intel Core 2 Ghz processor). The laptop has Win 7 on one partition so I installed Server 2012 on the other partition. I installed Foundation Server on it and then Sharepoint Designer. It gave me some errors when trying to connect to the Sharepoint site from Designer at first but it seems to be OK.
    I just want to learn about SharePoint because I need to know it for work and I want to have it on a lappie so I can use it at home.
    The only thing is I would rather have SharePoint Server than Foundation as I have a feeling that is what they will be using at work but Foundation is free and Server is not. The trial with Server is for 180 days though which is decent. Can you install Foundation and Server on the same machine?
    Edit:after googling a bit it seems you can do this but it is more common for Server to be installed as an upgrade to Foundation (i.e. installed over Foundation).

I got it installed anyway. I had to buy a new laptop (a Dell Inspiron with 4GB RAM). Sharepoint runs OK on 4GB strangely enough even though I have read you need 8GB minimum for it. It is also not really the done thing to install it on a laptop. I have Sharepoint Designer on it too and am able to open SharePoint sites that are hosted on the laptop from Designer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What resources are you using to learn SharePoint.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    What resources are you using to learn SharePoint.

I watched a few YouTube videos:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsfUNRRu0VY

Advertisement