Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling holiday bike insurance

Options
  • 17-02-2017 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,
    just wondering has anyone on the forum had any experience with a bike hire company when things have gone wrong i.e damage to the bike.How is the matter dealt with,would travel insurance cover damage to a bike,would the hire company insurance cover damage to the bike or should you have specific bike insurance?

Thanks smalltalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Hi Smalltalk. Did you every get info on this.
    I am going on a cycling holiday soon and am renting bikes for 8 days in Switzerland. If the bike are stolen or damaged I am liable. The rental company says I need my own insurance to cover it. I'm not sure if my what travel insurance will cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Very odd that the rental company doesn't have an insurance policy offered at a daily rate for its clients?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Yes. I asked them about buying extra insurance and the reply was
    'Your are responsible for the bike and you have to private insurance'
    I have sent a query to some of the travel insurance companies to see if I am covered. I'm renting with Swiss rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Hi,didn't have any luck with it,there was a company in the UK (I cant remember the name)which had an ideal cycling insurance package but could not sell it in Ireland.A couple of months ago I did come across a sports travel company that had an insurance package but it may just be for their own customers
    https://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/travel-insurance/
    Might be worth a look

Advertisement