Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Yeast - how to store

Options
  • 17-02-2017 1:54pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been lucky enough to have been given a 'present' of some fresh yeast.

Anyone recommend the best method to store it / freeze it please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I freeze mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Freeze in portions of the amount you likely to use. Can be defrosted in lukewarm water or milk, depending on which you are using. Enjoy your baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reminds me of when I lived in community in Ireland in the 70s. I was responsible for the catering and cooking and wanted to make home made bread, and the dried yeast was not easy to get as it is now.

And to buy fresh yeast you had to get a licence from the Gardai. When I phoned them it was an interesting chat as they had great difficulty in deep rural soda bread Ireland in understanding what I needed the yeast for. I could hear the agitated talk and muffled laughter in the background...

LONGING to make bread again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I freeze it in cubes too, it is great now that it is so readily available and so cheap in any of the Eastern European shops, less than a euro in my local one for a block which makes loads.

I much prefer it, I really think there is a difference between it and the dried stuff. Years ago my grandmother used to always have fresh yeast, she must have been friendly with the guards :)

Advertisement