Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croom, thoughts on area

• 17-02-2017 1:55pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Going to see a house in Croom today. I have rarely been out there, can I have your thoughts on the town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Going to see a house in Croom today. I have rarely been out there, can I have your thoughts on the town?

Used to be rough as ****, dunno what it's like these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I have friends living there - i hear frequent stories of break-ins. I wouldnt be keen on the area.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I hear it can be a bit rough at night but myself and the wife are as far removed from the pub scene as possible. The house is fully alarmed and very secure, both in terms of positioning.

Went out yesterday and it was pretty quiet. Spoke to some locals and while it clearly was affected by the bypass, it is still ok during the day.

Anyone else? Please PM me if you want to say something privately. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

I live 2 miles from the town and I find it a good place to live. The new park with playground and coffee shop is first class. There are people who have issues with addiction but they don't bother others it's much tamer then living in Limerick city in that regard. It all depends what you want of course there are parts I wouldn't like to live in personally but that's the same for any area. Some good bargains to be had and it's close for road access to a lot of different places. Only 10 minutes to the crescent if your speeding at 140 on the motorway ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

It's not the lovely looking detached house in that estate from hell? Cois sruthain. Google the name it's been in the news a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A few friends of mine live out that direction and while there are a few skobes, it is a nice village to live in once you live in a nice area. Good rural community.

It's not the lovely looking detached house in that estate from hell? Cois sruthain. Google the name it's been in the news a few times.

That's the house. However, I have never heard it being called a bad estate. Can you fill me in as a google search shows nothing that warrants such a name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

FutureGuy wrote: »
    That's the house. However, I have never heard it being called a bad estate. Can you fill me in as a google search shows nothing that warrants such a name?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/community/145649/-Miracle--that-lives-weren.html
    Today, residents of Cois Sruthain in Croom say they are living “in limbo” with inadequate street lighting, a green area which is unsafe for children to play on, unfinished roads and a poor water supply.

In the early hours of last Thursday morning, nine families were evacuated after a blaze broke out in a terrace of four unoccupied houses in the estate. Gardai are currently investigating how it started, but locals say the houses have been a base for anti-social behaviour for some time. In August, a 21-year-old local man was found dead in one of them.
    However, she stressed that anti-social behaviour is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to problems with the estate, which was built by the Roche Group.

“We are still an unfinished estate. I bought my house here in 2008 and nothing has changed here since,” she said.

According to Ms O’Dea, there are “very few” working lights in the estate, roads are unfinished with manhole covers sticking up and there have been ongoing problems with the water supply.

“I am looking out on a green area that has metal bars sticking out of it and reeds growing in the middle of it. It is not safe for children to play there,” she added.

“It is our right to have light, it is our right to have water, it is our right to be safe in our homes,” said Ms O’Dea.
    Local Fianna Fail TD Niall Collins has pledged to continue to work with local residents to address the problems in the estate. “The residents are entitled to expect to be able to live in their home without the presence and menace of ongoing anti social activity and hopefully we are now getting to that point following last weeks events. Recently there was a very tragic death in these properties which shocked the community in Croom,” said Mr Collins.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/croom-meeting-to-discuss-estate-s-water-problems/
    A boil water notice remains in place in Cois Sruthain, Croom seven months after an outbreak of e-coli in the private water supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Tbh I think a lot was done. Houses knocked. All houses are linked to the network of cctv cameras.

The "no mains water, no mains sewage" thing on a modern estate at the edge of a village is pure celtic tiger though.

A well and a massive septic tank that needs pumping out when it fills. We must be only a few months away from them starting to build more like this again. Boom is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I was born and raised in Croom. It's a lovely little town with it's own schools and easy access to the motorway mean it's only a 15 minute drive from town. The new park and restaurant are very nice as well. It's very quiet during the day but at the weekends at night when the pubs close it can get rough but that won't apply to you. You do get teenagers hanging around and up to mischief as well but that happens everywhere. The bypass did take away from the town though, there's only one shop there now and it lost a lot of amenities like the banks, petrol station and stuff like that. The community centre used to be great years ago but I don't think much happens there any more. The schools are good too, a new secondary school is being built out there. People come from all over the city and county to attend the secondary school. Don't know much about your estate as I never ventured there much but it's right on the bypass which is good. I certainly wouldn't be put off living there though, I was going to buy a house there myself but decided I'd prefer to live in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Gre up in a rural area and lived in Limerick for years but we wanted to raise hte kids in a rural area.

Looked all over but ended up buying in Croom (about 2k outside village). To be honest I don't have a huge amount to do with the night life in the village, drank there once in the 6 years we have been there. But the kids love the park and playground, they are in the GAA club, we eat or have coffee in the restaurant in the civic center every now and again. There appears to be a strong community in the village, lovely walks. The park is great..

Its ideal for commuting. I can be in Ennis in 40 minutes. M50 in 2 hours, Blackpool in Cork in a little over an hour (probably the main reason we chose Croom to start was the access to motorway network)

Not sure I would like to live in the village (all the disadvantages of city living but none of the advantages) but the general area is fine. The reputation of the village isn't great but hugely exaggerated.

However I wouldn't buy a house in that particular estate. even for 10K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

That fire was 3 years ago in an unfinished house in a field next to the estate. The house used to attract some unsociable behaviour but as a result of the fire, the house was razed to the ground the day after and there hasn't been an issue since.

Since then also, the council have taken charge of the estate - all roads are properly surfaced, painted and signed. All street lights are working and all green areas maintained.

The boil water notice was a temporary issue that was resolved 7 years ago. The council maintain the water supply to the estate these days.

A workhouse was also built in Croom in the early 1840’s to house the destitute but thankfully was adapted in 1924 as a general hospital serving all of Co. Limerick so you need not worry about that either ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

LeoD wrote: »

A workhouse was also built in Croom in the early 1840’s to house the destitute but thankfully was adapted in 1924 as a general hospital serving all of Co. Limerick so you need not worry about that either ;)

It's not a general hospital anymore.

It's an orthopedic hospital since 1956.

Thanks all for the input, we are buying elsewhere now but thanks for the advice.

Advertisement