Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a second teaching subject

Options
  • 17-02-2017 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I am an secondary English teacher. Obviously English is a very difficult subject to secure employment with so I'm considering taking on a second subject.

I am wondering if it's possible to do a part time degree in Irish. Where? How long would it take etc?

I got a C in Honours for Leaving cert. Is it feasible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

With hard work anything is possible. Have a look at the hdip in arts in Irish at UCD/UCC or NUIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Contact the teaching council also about before committing to any course... not sure but you might have to do the Irish teaching methodologies to get fully registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Check your local university or alternatively something like the OU to do catch up modules. Make sure the TC will accredit as my colleague above has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Open university don't do Irish.

Open university don't do Irish.

Sorry, I meant a general statement about catchup modules. I know maths is a fairly popular option this route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Oscail do History. I know it's not a great option but at least it's a second subject. As of December 2016 anyway you didn't have to do the methodologies for it but I have heard talk about that coming in. Will be more $$$ for the Teaching Council.

English and history is a good combo, its a major core subjects plus another subject to fill up the timetable. Gaeilge is of course more employable but route would be more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

Thank you all for the reply's.

I should of mentioned that I already have history but didn't count it as it's not great for employment.

I would like to do Irish and wondered if there was a part time evening degree course.

Advertisement