Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bsc in Computer Science & CIMA Accountant Qualified

Options
  • 17-02-2017 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm 40 & when finished school I done computer science, worked in IT for 10 years - in banking applications and some java.
    Then in 2006, jobs were not that great in IT, and I had an interest in CIMA, so I decided to study cima by night. I found an accounts job and done cima by night for 3 years. In 2010, I was offered a software testing role with a large company in Dublin. I took the job and working in the QA role since then, doing mostly automation, selenium testing recently.

I qualified from Cima accounting in 2011, but not really used it. (just worked in accounting role for 3 years while studying)
    The QA role is fine - on 50k ish - which is okay, but not crazy money either, the thing I see in QA roles the salary could go up to 65/70k, but that seems to be around max, and really not a lot of career opportunities I think.
    I see some CIMA jobs in Dublin could have a starting salary of 50k, and I think if work hard, there is a lot of career opportunities here...
    I would like to try and link the IT & CIma and get a better role - but what ?
    Maybe project management ?
    Oracle EBS ?
    scrum master ?

It's not all about money for me, but I would like to have career opportunities, and see if work hard there is another role up the chain... (where as in current job there is really no where to progress to...)
    I sometimes thing if I stay in the IT area, I could be better off to quit my current role, and try and get a Java dev role.
    I sometimes also thing I should forget about cima altogether, and just concentrate on IT roles..
    Any advice much appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Any ideas on this - with these skills which career path would be good? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

At your age(pardon if that comes out offensive) employers will be looking to have you on a senior role so PM sounds like the best option.

I'd tailor my CV basing around PM skills you've attained from all jobs and go in the direction of PM in Financial Analysis field based on your experience.

Advertisement