Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wipperman Connex links

Options
  • 17-02-2017 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

The price of these in 11 speed is ridiculous. I've been using the 10 speed version on my 10 speed chains for years. So handy to remove by hand to clean the chain properly. But the 11 speed version is 3 times more expensive.

So will a 10 speed work ok on an 11 speed chain. In not,is there any other link out there can can be removed and re fitted in seconds without tools.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No, the 10 speed link won't work. 11 speed chain is slightly narrower than 10 speed chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Yes the 10 speed link will 100% work.The internal width is identical to the 11 speed chain.

Apologies.
    I have just tried a 10 speed Sram connector on an 11 speed Sram chain.
    It works. But there seems to be a tiny bit of play on it.
    I also tried an 11 speed Sram connector, there is no play on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Try a SRAM or KMC connector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I noticed the price differential for the 11 speed links as well, I ended up just buying a whole chain including link for €37.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/wippermann-connex-11s0-chain/rp-prod147135

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Before using a 10-speed link in an 11-speed chain I'd recommend checking the manufacturer's website to see if the question of compatibility is answered there.

Even if there was nothing there to explicitly state that it's not compatible, I wouldn't use one personally - of the many things that can go wrong if a bike part fails, snapping a chain is high up the list of things that you really don't want to happen and "incompatible" parts theoretically increase that risk. Your mileage may vary of course, and I'm happy enough to clean the chain while on the bike anyway so lack of such a link isn't a big deal for me, making it an easier decision.

I do carry a spare 11-speed link in case of emergency. It was a few years back when I bought it and at the time the only ones I could find available were use-once ones. I read of a reusable 11-speed one from a particular brand (can't remember the details) but I couldn't source one anywhere at the time.

That's another aspect of quick-connect links to bear in mind, whether the one you get is reusable. I've read of people reusing ones that are not sold as such, but as above my perspective on this is that it adds a risk that I personally wouldn't be willing to take on. If you end up using a 10-speed link on your 11-speed, the type of link you are happy to use is another thing to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

doozerie wrote: »
    Before using a 10-speed link in an 11-speed chain I'd recommend checking the manufacturer's website to see if the question of compatibility is answered there.

Even if there was nothing there to explicitly state that it's not compatible, I wouldn't use one personally - of the many things that can go wrong if a bike part fails, snapping a chain is high up the list of things that you really don't want to happen and "incompatible" parts theoretically increase that risk. Your mileage may vary of course, and I'm happy enough to clean the chain while on the bike anyway so lack of such a link isn't a big deal for me, making it an easier decision.

I do carry a spare 11-speed link in case of emergency. It was a few years back when I bought it and at the time the only ones I could find available were use-once ones. I read of a reusable 11-speed one from a particular brand (can't remember the details) but I couldn't source one anywhere at the time.

That's another aspect of quick-connect links to bear in mind, whether the one you get is reusable. I've read of people reusing ones that are not sold as such, but as above my perspective on this is that it adds a risk that I personally wouldn't be willing to take on. If you end up using a 10-speed link on your 11-speed, the type of link you are happy to use is another thing to consider.

All good advice IMO.

They can be picked up for €5~6 if you look around, kmc or BBB bands are good and most 11s links seem to be non-reusable, whereas 10s ones were more commonly replaceable. Getting off an 11s link is tricky if you are doing it with the intention of refitting the same one......

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/kmc-11-spd-chainlinks-card-of-2/#pid=12526

SRAM ones are under 3 euro each and easy enough to release. I am with Doozerie though, no need to take a chain off unless it is ready to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I'm just wondering if a chain breaking out on a ride is something that happens ofter?

It happened me once, about 5 years ago.
    And now that I've put the hex on it, probably next week.

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering if a chain breaking out on a ride is something that happens ofter?
    Happened me once when I put the wrong pin in a shimano chain. I also resumed a fellow commuter one day with a quicklink. So pretty rare but it happens. For the size ofthwpowerlock it is worth having one spare and a chaimbreaker with you to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I much prefer the Wippermann links, completely re-usable and it takes seconds to remove and re-fit. All you do is rotate 90 degrees and slide. I have used them for years in 9-10-11 speed versions and have never had one fail or worn one out.

I would sometimes rotate cassettes/chains on the same bike so it is handier than a normal quicklink.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It has happened to me on two occasions - once as a youngster and then again about 5 years ago while climbing up past the church in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Happened to me twice, a long time ago , and then just a couple of years ago, on a climb as you'd expect. It was a newish 105 11 speed, so I've avoided those since. I always carry a spare link and mini tool with chainbreaker just in case.

Advertisement