Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid newbie questions!!

Options
  • 17-02-2017 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi guys, started vaping a month ago to get off the cigs. Has worked amazingly well so far (Started on 24mg 4 weeks ago today, now down to 6mg and using it a lot less frequently!)

I started with an eLeaf mini iStick and have just recently upgraded because, i suppose, the cloud-chasing bug caught on if im honest!!

I bought a Forza75 and Corsair Pro tank and have a 1.5 coil fitted at the minute with 6mg juice with a high VG.

The thing is, im quite confused and a bit lost with the specs and tech side of the settings etc.

I have it set at 15w, havent a clue how to control it by volts! And don't talk to me about TC, NI, SS, ET, FBI, BBC or IRA!!! Not a clue whats going on there!!!

I'm not getting much out of it at all when i drag off it, slightly less than i would be off the mini stick. Also, a lot of gurgling too, quite a lot!

Is this just a case of changing the coil to the 0.5 provided in the box and trying a few different watts settings then??

So, in short, HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

A 1.5Ω coil should be fine in around 15w, less even. The volts should read 4.5 - 4.7v or so? Set the wattage so it's in around 4 - 4.2 volts and you 'should' get a decent vape no matter the coil. Is the battery full? is it a new coil? do you have the air vents on the tank open?

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

You can use that calc as a guide. You only need input 2 values, say your resistance [1.5] and the wattage [15w] in this case give you 4.7v

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Congo_Dub

That's excellent info, thank you very much.

Ye I have the air vent open fully as it seems to be more settled that way at the moment. Battery now fully charged and all brand new as of yesterday so new coil etc..

Im also experimenting with the inhale, as a smoker the direct lung style is very alien to me, but i suppose fun as it produces big clouds haha

Congo_Dub wrote: »
    That's excellent info, thank you very much.

Ye I have the air vent open fully as it seems to be more settled that way at the moment. Battery now fully charged and all brand new as of yesterday so new coil etc..

Im also experimenting with the inhale, as a smoker the direct lung style is very alien to me, but i suppose fun as it produces big clouds haha

1.5 is still very mouth-to-lung vape territory, it's when you start going sub ohm you get the chuffier clouds :D but you should be able to vape your current set up pretty much like a ciggie. It could be you need a higher mg juice?

If you try the 0.5 ohm coil you should be able to push to 30w-35w and you will get a better hit, but you're into direct lung vaping region then. Just takes getting used to. But once you do ... you may never go back to MTL! :O

Also, when I've changed my coil from the 1.5 to the 0.5, it spits like crazy!

I've seen a few posts on this particular tank (Corsair Pro, previously Cubis) and all the video's and reviews do say about the excessive spitting on it. Is there any way to calm that down or control that at all?

Not too worried about it, just feels like spitting lava!!

Coils can spit when you don't have the power high enough. It may seem weird, but if the juice isn't heating enough, it's popping as hot liquid rather than vapour. Sounds like you're not upping the wattage enough maybe? For the 0.5 coils you want to be somewhere between 30-40w ideally. Try 35w and work up or down from there, see what's comfortable for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Forget all about volts, complete waste of time and energy even thinking about it, watts are the only thing that matters.

I assume by its name that your mod is 75w, my advice to you is to dump the tank and buy a dripper, preferably a velocity style dripper with airflow that comes up from the bottom.

You can buy premade coils and cotton for a fraction of the price of replacing the coils of tank systems.

macker33 wrote: »
    Forget all about volts, complete waste of time and energy even thinking about it, watts are the only thing that matters.

I assume by its name that your mod is 75w, my advice to you is to dump the tank and buy a dripper, preferably a velocity style dripper with airflow that comes up from the bottom.

You can buy premade coils and cotton for a fraction of the price of replacing the coils of tank systems.

Eh, volts are the most solid indicator to go by, most mods display both. Why give such weird advice? How do you know what wattage to use per coil? Guessing? Batteries read by volts, best to practice battery safety first! Let the watts follow.

Ye at the minute im just sticking to the Watts control, keeping it within the guidelines on the coil itself (0.5 ohms, using it at 28w as I find it the most comfortable setting so far).

I am moving down to 3mg as of tomorrow so im sure I will see a few differences then too

I think some are missing the point of the volts side of it. You can of course use wattage mode, but the volts are displayed on most mods also. Volts are a much better indicator, even when in wattage mode. Anywhere around 4.2 more or less, no matter the watts, should be comfortable. Some like to push well beyond this, some prefer a lighter, less harsh vape below. The 'guidelines' take volts into consideration, watts are just what happen to hit that mark.

Hard to explain .... just vape whatever is comfortable - but certainly don't go jumping to drippers until you understand a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

If you go by volts you actually need to understand less about how mods work, but you'll need to change the watts to change the volts. Anything between 3 and 5 can be used, always found claptons needed much bigger voltage. 4 is probably the best starting point if you go by volts.

Just for some volts/watts context:

At 30 watts using a 2 ohm coil you would be hitting 7.75 volts, which is extremely high. Chances are you'll instantly ruin your coil/cotton.

At 30 watts using a 0.2ohm coil you'll hit 2.45 volts where it'll probably take 5 seconds + of firing to even get a hint of vapour.

28 watts with a 0.5 ohm coil gives around 3.75 volts which is definitely in the comfortable range. I'd steel clear of going over 4.5 volts anyway. There's no point risking burning the coil

• Advertisement

I repeat, trying to understand volts is stupid,

All you need to do is pick a wattage and try that, need more? then turn it up five watts,
    Too much? then turn it down a few watts.
    You'll soon figure out whereabouts you like things.

After wattage the biggest thing is probably air control, make sure you get an atty with good air control.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

It's never stupid trying to understand something you don't. You're right that you only need to mess with the watts to get the vape you want but at the same time you are changing the voltage to get the vape you want. Without knowing the resistance of somebody's coil you can't recommend a wattage but you can recommend a voltage.

The thing is volts dont actually do anything, its increased amperage that heats the coil.
    I just think its unnecessary, for me all it does is make a simple thing more complicated than it needs to be.

In any event regulated mods will take care of all that stuff, to each their own i suppose

Advertisement