Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good brand of omega 3 fish oil

• 17-02-2017 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

What is a good brand of omega 3 fish oil 1000mg? Is there a difference between brands and say tesco? What is the difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Get one with a high amount of EPA and DHA - that's the most important. I use Carlssons liquid as I find it easier to take a teaspoon than a few capsules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Get one with a high amount of EPA and DHA - that's the most important. I use Carlssons liquid as I find it easier to take a teaspoon than a few capsules.
    yes but i see a tesco one with 250 mg of each for 89cents. surely not a good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

yes but i see a tesco one with 250 mg of each for 89cents. surely not a good one?

That wont have a high level of epa/dha for that price! With fish oil you are better off going for a good quality fish oil which usually means more expensive, I always say to people to take a good quality one or don't take it at all!

Brands that are good and that I have used is Solgar triple strength omega ( This one is nice as it has high epa and dha), Morepa (This one high in epa low in dha), Both of these are capsules! If you are willing to take am oil Eskimo is good and you get a pretty good level of epa/dha in a teaspoon!

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

lainycool wrote: »
    That wont have a high level of epa/dha for that price! With fish oil you are better off going for a good quality fish oil which usually means more expensive, I always say to people to take a good quality one or don't take it at all!

Brands that are good and that I have used is Solgar triple strength omega ( This one is nice as it has high epa and dha), Morepa (This one high in epa low in dha), Both of these are capsules! If you are willing to take am oil Eskimo is good and you get a pretty good level of epa/dha in a teaspoon!

Hope that helps
    250mg of epa and dha is that good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Nordic Naturals. Your only man.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1490

Might as well pay for quality products over those cheap supermarket crap ones.
    You can get the Nordic ones in all health shops around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

stoksyXL wrote: »
    Nordic Naturals. Your only man.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1490

Might as well pay for quality products over those cheap supermarket crap ones.
    You can get the Nordic ones in all health shops around.

Nordic Naturals for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jaysus it certainly isn't cheap. I wonder what the difference between taking one of those and 4 Tesco ones would be? Technically the same amount of DHA and EPA.

Jaysus it certainly isn't cheap. I wonder what the difference between taking one of those and 4 Tesco ones would be? Technically the same amount of DHA and EPA.

Anything in a health shop or considered to be a health shop product, doesn't come cheaply.

I sometimes think it's a case of 'Think of a price and multiply it by three. The mark up on these products must be colossal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Bulk Powders I think do a good capsule, seems strong to me !

• Advertisement

I sometimes think it's a case of 'Think of a price and multiply it by three. The mark up on these products must be colossal.

I manage a health store and I can tell you the mark up is not colossal! You are paying for quality and when you go into most health stores you will get really good advice! I doubt you will be told when picking up Tesco fish oils or any supermarket brands that you cannot take fish oil with warfarin or blood thinners, No matter who comes through the door the 1st question we always ask is if the person is taking medication and if it's a case that they are taking heart or blood pressure medication we will advise them to go and speak with their gp. I always advise people to either go with a good brand or don't take it at all.

It's also worth noting that liquid fish oil is great and it works out cheaper, I personally can't take it but if you can go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

lainycool wrote: »
    I manage a health store and I can tell you the mark up is not colossal! You are paying for quality and when you go into most health stores you will get really good advice! I doubt you will be told when picking up Tesco fish oils or any supermarket brands that you cannot take fish oil with warfarin or blood thinners, No matter who comes through the door the 1st question we always ask is if the person is taking medication and if it's a case that they are taking heart or blood pressure medication we will advise them to go and speak with their gp. I always advise people to either go with a good brand or don't take it at all.

It's also worth noting that liquid fish oil is great and it works out cheaper, I personally can't take it but if you can go for it.

But what's the difference between the 'good' brand and a 'cheap' brand?

If the only reason is that a good brand has more EPA and DHA per capsule than a cheap brand, then it might still work out better value to just take a few more capsules of the cheaper brand at one time.

But what's the difference between the 'good' brand and a 'cheap' brand?

If the only reason is that a good brand has more EPA and DHA per capsule than a cheap brand, then it might still work out better value to just take a few more capsules of the cheaper brand at one time.

It's not just about epa and dha levels, It matters where the fish has been sourced, What type of fish it is, How it has been transported, Traceability, There is lots of factors, I suppose it's like car oil, You can get lots of brands but there is certain ones which will make your engine perform to its full potential!

I also don't like taking a load of tablets everyday as your liver still needs to break them all down, So for me 1 or 2 per day maximum.

Advertisement