Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Arsenal thread.

Options
  • 17-02-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭

Is a constant mess. It's a dumpster for one poster in particular. I don't want to go into the Arsenal thread and read about gay hookups from Grindr, I want to have a CONVERSATION.

I'm utterly sick of reporting these posts.

Do something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is more appropriate in Help Desk.

Moved from Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

As a non Arsenal fan but a contributor to football forum it is a bit much. Debate is stifled by constant deflection and moving of the goal posts. A lot of posters are turned off even posting in thread if you read the last couple of pages. Its a strange one because the guy is clearly a fan but just deflecting everything and killing peoples will to post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'm not sure is it a breach of charter or not but there's ongoing arguments with 3 or 4 posters at a time, baiting most of the time. Constant one sentence replies, 3 or 4 posts in a row mean its impossible to get any kind of decent conversation going in the thread.

I don't mind someone having a different point of view, I welcome a debate. It's the point of forums like this but there's no coherent argument, just provoking other posters. The mods cleaned up the thread recently and said relevant posters were spoken to but its just gotten worse. Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Agree absolutely fully. He/she treats it like a Facebook page to tell us of their personal life and then uses very condescending tones. Also never discusses the valid points made, instead uses several very annoying one line posts to belittle those of a differing view. Ruining the thread all the time. Very close to not using this thread again as one person ruins it for the vast majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I've also reported posts against the same poster.
    Antagonistic and abrasive posting style,constant arguing with every post,deflecting from the points made when has no answer,resorts to sexual comments in a soccer forum.
    The Arsenal thread is a wreck and posters from other clubs threads would agree after they have been subjected to this posters ridiculous style of discussion...
    Read the morning after the Bayern game where a Liverpool supporter and Chelsea(mod) supporter tried debating against this individual,it is a disgrace the way he replied to them,deflection and whataboutery ruined any discussion possible that morning.
    The examples are plentiful.
    The thread has been closed for review multiple times because of posters getting frustrated with this individual(myself included).
    Ignore function is worthless as he is quoted because he is arguing with everybody....pages upon pages of pointless crap.
    Plenty of decent posters have an opposing viewpoint to me and I don't have any issues debating with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Is a constant mess. It's a dumpster for one poster in particular. I don't want to go into the Arsenal thread and read about gay hookups from Grindr, I want to have a CONVERSATION.

I'm utterly sick of reporting these posts.

Do something.

I'm
    Sick of verbal onslaught by the above poster bordering on slander and nothing happing about it. I'll pm the screenshots

The Grindr think was a response

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

+1 on the one poster ruining the thread for everyone else. I think he is nothing only a troll, but is a clever one so I can understand why the mods can't act on it. Even when it's obvious to them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The local mods have been discussing issues in connection with that thread and I have just posted a warning in the thread pending conclusion of a review by the local mods and CMods. I am not proposing to engage further in this particular thread until I have had an opportunity to see the outcome of that review. That may take a little time as I anticipate we may engage with certain posters via PM to better understand both issues identified and possible solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I've had a couple of yellow card infringements over this member. Drives me nuts. Their constant referral to sexuality hobbies and current activities and treats the Arsenal thread like a Facebook page.
    They posts strings of one liner answers making the thread difficult to follow. THis person differs with 95% of other posters, yet uses deflections, condescending and downright haughty and imperious language to dismiss us.
    I questioned their moral compass sometime back too, about a comment made about Madeline McCann, but I accept now that this forum was not the place for that, so I put him/her on ignore since then. I've found that made the thread experience better, but with so many people disagreeing with their posts and quoting them, it became impossible again.

Even a trial period of 2 weeks of removal of this person to see if it calmed us all down might make a difference??

Good idea by the way. Thank you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Helpdesk replies are pre-moderated and don't display by default.

While it isn't a free for all, I've approved a sampling of them, to show that isn't an isolated opinion and is also the perception held by others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just to add to Spear's post above, I've also approved mansize's past as obviously it's directly relevant to this thread. However as Beasty has said, there's a bit of work to be done to review this whole situation, so we would ask that nobody posts here again until Beasty has had a chance to investigate fully. Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just a follow up - I've been in discussion with the poster at the centre of all this, and he has agreed to change his posting style in light of some of the comments made be they here or by me directly.

In-thread warnings have been issued to try and settle things down and hopefully allow the fans of the club, even if disagreeing in the way it should be run, at least do so in a manner that does not wind up other posters. One specific point I've had to re-iterate is that posters should report any post or poster they have issue with and leave it to the mods to deal with as they see fit.

I am continuing to monitor the thread for a while and will step in and act against anyone breaking the rules as I deem necessary. That may involve clearly visible action such as in-thread warnings or cards issue, deletions, and speaking to posters directly via PM. Posters should note however that if they are not seeing evidence of action, that does not mean none has been taken. Equally there are times when I and the local mods, on reviewing reports, conclude that no further action is required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement