Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Fastest Growing in Europe

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

There are 4 battered up old planes stationed at Baldonnel, sell them for scrap and extend the luas from City West / Saggart ( just across the road ) to Casement Aerodrome Baldonnel.

And Dublin can have that second airport it so badly needs, and it already has main roads, trams and main line rail links.

it's a no-brainer ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

satguy wrote: »
    There are 4 battered up old planes stationed at Baldonnel, sell them for scrap and extend the luas from City West / Saggart ( just across the road ) to Casement Aerodrome Baldonnel.

And Dublin can have that second airport it so badly needs, and it already has main roads, trams and main line rail links.

it's a no-brainer ...

Just a runway that wouldn't get a jet to mainland Europe..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Just a runway that wouldn't get a jet to mainland Europe..:rolleyes:

An easy fix, and would take less money than adding another runway at DA.

MOL said he would build the terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

satguy wrote: »
    An easy fix, and would take less money than adding another runway at DA.

MOL said he would build the terminal.

What adding an extra 1,000m, widening full runway, ILS, reinforce it for heavier aircraft, new control tower, new passenger terminals, apron and taxiways, new access roads.

Also not to forget the runways and wide directions are poor combined with curfew's because of aircraft flying over populated area's.

If MOL said he would jump off a cliff would you believe him, I bet you would....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

n97 mini wrote: »
    I saw the figures recently but I can't find them now. Anyway, a significant amount of DUB traffic originates in Belfast and the wider NI as there is a lot more choice than out of Belfast.

I'd certainly believe that based off the number of Northern accents I've heard on my last couple of Ryanair holiday flights (as opposed to flying for work, where I didn't seem to notice/there may not have been as many, possibly due to either airline or destinations).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cython wrote: »
    I'd certainly believe that based off the number of Northern accents I've heard on my last couple of Ryanair holiday flights (as opposed to flying for work, where I didn't seem to notice/there may not have been as many, possibly due to either airline or destinations).

Totally depends on where you are going and with who. For instance on a Ryanair flight to Poland it is like 95% Polish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well Pascal's response (while Minister for Transport) when Dublin Airport announced another bumper year of record passenger numbers was - 'they need more car parks' - you could not make it up.

unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike
    unlike

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Effectively, north of Clontarf into Connolly should have four track available for high speed travel (by that I mean not restricted to 10 mph). That would allow the Airport Express to pass Darts at Clongriffin and before Clontarf.

So now you have gone from a quick and easy 200million plan, to a plan that would require years of planning, major works, major CPO's, major disruption to existing rail services and probably €1 billion!

Doing so would likely end up taking much longer then Metro North, which already has all the plans in place, planning permission, land CPO'd and some ground works already done. Basically Metro North is ready to go with just one decision from the government. They need to stop making excuses and just start it.

The Airport spur is just a cheap distraction from the much more important Metro North. I'm not saying we shouldn't build the Airport spur some day and quad track the Northern line, etc. But that is a major project in its own right and certainly not a quick and easy project and IMO a much lower priority then Metro North.

Look just stop with the excuses and start building the original Metro North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I saw the figures recently but I can't find them now. Anyway, a significant amount of DUB traffic originates in Belfast and the wider NI as there is a lot more choice than out of Belfast.

That would be an understatement....
    I'd say about 1/5 of the cars you see at DUB car parks are NI regs. Belfast is only a small regional airport by comparison. Mainly just UK destinations and limited European.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bk wrote: »
    So now you have gone from a quick and easy 200million plan, to a plan that would require years of planning, major works, major CPO's, major disruption to existing rail services and probably €1 billion!

Doing so would likely end up taking much longer then Metro North, which already has all the plans in place, planning permission, land CPO'd and some ground works already done. Basically Metro North is ready to go with just one decision from the government. They need to stop making excuses and just start it.

The Airport spur is just a cheap distraction from the much more important Metro North. I'm not saying we shouldn't build the Airport spur some day and quad track the Northern line, etc. But that is a major project in its own right and certainly not a quick and easy project and IMO a much lower priority then Metro North.

Look just stop with the excuses and start building the original Metro North.

100%

Why anyone would focus immediate attention on the mixed use mismanaged rail system over MN is beyond me..

The benefits to the city of MN would be near unparalleled by other infrastructure projects in Dublin.

How Dublin can continue to ignore the evidence from cities around the world as to the benefits of underground is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Totally depends on where you are going and with who. For instance on a Ryanair flight to Poland it is like 95% Polish!

...and 20% of them came from Belfast/NI! :)

road_high wrote: »
    That would be an understatement....
    I'd say about 1/5 of the cars you see at DUB car parks are NI regs. Belfast is only a small regional airport by comparison. Mainly just UK destinations and limited European.

All the more reason a shuttle to Clongriffin and a changeover onto the Enterprise makes sense.

lawred2 wrote: »
    100%

Why anyone would focus immediate attention on the mixed use mismanaged rail system over MN is beyond me..

Because MN will not happen in our lifetime. A rail spur (forget all that quad tracking malarkey) from Clongriffin is infinitely more doable because it's so cheap in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pick a non tourist destination (eg everywhere but WAW/KRK) and its more like 99%. Only Irishman onboard :pac:

Sams correct about it not really clashing at Connolly, the big rush for flights is 6-8AM so pax are transiting out to the airport way before rush hour. Would love to see the 16 Bus have a 4AM service but thats for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

Because MN will not happen in our lifetime. A rail spur (forget all that quad tracking malarkey) from Clongriffin is infinitely more doable because it's so cheap in comparison.

It's scheduled for completion next decade. MN. Then there will be Metro West, south. West to East. South east to North West and south West to North east.

Then a tunnel to the UK will be built. It's only a matter of time.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Pick a non tourist destination (eg everywhere but WAW/KRK) and its more like 99%. Only Irishman onboard :pac:

Yup, been that Irish man many times, loads of fun ;)

Once was on a Ryanair flight to Gdanisk. The flight crew most of decided to have a competition or something. They were singing songs in front of everyone the whole flight and sitting on guys laps, a bizarre but brilliant flight :D
    ED E wrote: »
    Sams correct about it not really clashing at Connolly, the big rush for flights is 6-8AM so pax are transiting out to the airport way before rush hour. Would love to see the 16 Bus have a 4AM service but thats for another thread.

True, but this is also what makes this a useful, but fundamentally low priority project.

For a European City, Dublin Airport is actually very close to the city. The 747 and Aircoach already service the airport very well and are quick and reasonably priced. If the 16 was made 24/7 and pulled out of Beaumont, so more direct route it would fill a lot of the gap.

BRT would likely make the spur completely redundant for the most part. You would be much quicker taking BRT or Aircoach from town then a train via a spur (without quad tracking, etc.).

Yes, it could be handy for trains coming from Belfast. However remember those trains aren't running at 4am either. So most of those Northerners are actually coming by car or Aircoach/BE. Actually the bus from Belfast direct to Dublin Airport is faster and more direct then going by train and then having to change at Clongriffin. So really there is little demand for the spur. Not if you aren't also building Dart Underground and quad tracking the Northern Line, but now you have a much more expensive and large project then even MN.

Anyway Metro North isn't really about the airport. That is just the cherry on top that makes it even better. No MN is about connecting Swords to Dublin. You know the 5 largest urban population of Ireland, which is a commuter town of Dublin and THE fastest growing town in Ireland, yet has no rail link!

It is also about building a park and ride outside the M50, so that the whole of North Dublin outside the M50 can stop and take a fast train into the city.

It is about North Dublin (inside the M50) having the highest population density in Ireland, yet little in the way of rail based transport.

Mater hospital, Croke Park, Drumcondra, DCU, Airport, M50 park and ride, Swords. This is what the Metro North is about and it is why we desperately need it today.

Stop pissing about with crayons and just get building Metro North.

New Goat wrote: »
    It's scheduled for completion next decade. MN. Then there will be Metro West, south. West to East. South east to North West and south West to North east.

Then a tunnel to the UK will be built. It's only a matter of time.

Seriously lad I dunno what planet you're on. I wish you were right, but that's all that is, a wish list.

The plans to electrify the Maynooth line started in 1977...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

lawred2 wrote: »
    100%

The benefits to the city of MN would be near unparalleled by other infrastructure projects in Dublin.

How Dublin can continue to ignore the evidence from cities around the world as to the benefits of underground is beyond me.
    you mean how politicians keep ignoring it! Just read an article on independent.ie wth 140 comments under it on m50 (link below) Waiting for metro inferior, which is going to end up costing more with inflation, when the city is at breaking point, is a scandal! Why are outrageous expensive time wasters like this and two several hundred million euro farcical bRt lines being suggested when serious problem solvers with planning like metro north are ditched to save peanuts on the headline price and deliver far worse value for money schemes? Years further down the line than needs be the case?

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/expert-slams-orbital-route-proposal-that-promises-to-solve-m50-traffic-chaos-35469202.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Between 2001 and 2007 a private bus company ran a service called Aerdart between Howth Junction and the Airport. It was essentially the Clongriffin spur but on road.

The website is (bizarrely) still intact if anyone is curious.

The service went out of business in 2007 (when passenger numbers were at their peak by the way). The website blames weekend DART disruptions at the time, although the underlying business can't have been too good. Most of this period was before the opening of the Port Tunnel.

I took it a few times and the main problem was how long the whole journey - including the DART part - took. Anyone on the southside DART line would just take the Killiney or Bray Aircoach now.

The main problem with thinking about the Clongriffin spur as a link to the CC is you are essentially doing three sides of a rectangle. Aircoach does the other side of the rectangle. With use of bus lanes and limited stops, it will always be quicker.

Don't forget there is already a road tunnel that goes from very near the CC to very near the airport. Public should make best use of this asset before trying to re-invent the wheel.

The problem is. It can take an age to get from OCS to port tunnel. The new public transport bridge over Liffey should help that though... there needs to be a dedicated bus lane running down the quays from around custom house quay

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The problem is. It can take an age to get from OCS to port tunnel. The new public transport bridge over Liffey should help that though... there needs to be a dedicated bus lane running down the quays from around custom house quay

The planned bus gate on the quays will also greatly help with this.

Norwegian to announce 12 flights from Dublin tomorrow to us. Ryanair also potentially partnering with them and are lingus to feed long haul traffic. No issievwoth slots outside the morning peak... Dublin could gain serious boost with transfers and transatlantic traffic the way it's going ...

Advertisement