Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approx Cost of Knocking a wall

Options
  • 17-02-2017 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So in the final stages of buying a house, no keys yet but have 100's of ideas but no way to get lads/ladies in to price jobs.

Basically we want to knock the wall between kitchen and dinning room, its basically 6 to 9 feet of wall to certain an open plan kitchen dining room.

Not being an engineer i have clue if its a load bearing wall.

So looking for rough cost for the following 2 scenarios

Scenario 1 - The wall is not load bearing

To knock the wall through, and the plastering for the new arch

Scenario 2 - The is Load bearing

To knock wall, make it structurally sound(lentil/gurder) and plaster the for the new arch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not an expert, but I'd imagine you'd hardly get away with using a lentil to hold up a house...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

endacl wrote: »
    Not an expert, but I'd imagine you'd hardly get away with using a lentil to hold up a house...?

See not an engineer, so its a gurder then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

endacl wrote: »

Depending on the span and loading a lintel could be fine.
    Think about the lintel above a ground floor window, that's in the front wall which also takes the roof from wall plate down.

OP, is this a new house or second hand house?
    I'd say 5-7k if it's load bearing as you have the steel, fixing, making good the plastering and painting and also making good the floor and depending on tiles or flooring finish to continue the matching finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

kceire wrote: »
    Depending on the span and loading a lintel could be fine.
    Think about the lintel above a ground floor window, that's in the front wall which also takes the roof from wall plate down.

OP, is this a new house or second hand house?
    I'd say 5-7k if it's load bearing as you have the steel, fixing, making good the plastering and painting and also making good the floor and depending on tiles or flooring finish to continue the matching finish.

Its a second hand property, built roughly 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

3-5k load bearing
    1-2k non load bearing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

kceire wrote:
    OP, is this a new house or second hand house? I'd say 5-7k if it's load bearing as you have the steel, fixing, making good the plastering and painting and also making good the floor and depending on tiles or flooring finish to continue the matching finish.

What county in ireland are these prices based on? I know in mine you would never get it in a million years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

massey265 wrote: »
    What county in ireland are these prices based on? I know in mine you would never get it in a million years.

Dublin.
    And the price allows for
    Builder
    Engineer to design, inspect and certify steel work.
    Builder to make good areas and then to repaint, wallpaper and flooring to match in.

The costs add up very quickly when done properly.

Advertisement