Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike question

Options
  • 17-02-2017 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

I'm contemplating buying a bike. Either a hybrid or mountain bike. Much of the routes I would be cycling would be paved albeit badly. Very rural with potholes, a hefty coating of mud and wet leaves.

I would like to explore some unpaved tracks aswell. Some of these would be tractor only, certainly no cars.

So my question is would ye consider a hybrid unsuitable?

Thanks in advance,
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'd be going for a cyclocross bike. If you're happy with drop bars. A bit more flexible, you can commute just fine on rougher roads with wider tyres (I've got 38mm gravel tyres on at the moment and love them), put the knobblies back on if you want to explore off road.

And if someone says "Hey, do you want to come do this sportive with me?" in the summer, you can fit some 25mm tyres and a longer stem and you've a perfectly functional road bike.

It's just a thought! You may hate drop bars, but if you are looking for the ultimate "do-it-all" bike, a cyclocross (or even, dare I suggest an "adventure/gravel" bike) really is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Thanks Dirk. I'm afraid I had to Google cyclocross, drop bars and sportive there. Apologies to all serious cyclists for my ignorance.

The chances of me doing a sportive are beyond slim. Drop bars are out of the question. And I'm on a budget.

But i am most grateful for your help and I do see what you're getting at. Is it the tyres then that are most important. If a man was to upgrade the tyres to something more hefty would that make the bike more suitable for poor ground?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a cyclocross bike would have quite sporty geometry, wouldn't it?
    afaik gravel bikes would be a little more relaxed for commuting.

first question would be what's your budget?

I'm cringing a bit as I say this but as little as possible! Probably 300ish if possible. They have bikes in halfords for less but I read a thead before that advised against really cheap ones.

I am unlikey to cycle seriously. I would like to cycle down to the pub for a pint in the summer. And some gentle smelling the roses type cycling in the long evenings.

I would buy a hybrid type but am concerned that it may be no good on bad roads. Perhaps that is daft?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at that budget, i suspect secondhand is your best bet. cyclocross bikes and gravel bikes which have been mentioned would be more expensive than that.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Kinda thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Hybrids are a hybrid of Road bikes (light frame & big-diameter, relatively narrow tyres) and Mountain bikes (wide gear ratios, flat handlebars), but you an choose from hybrids at the road-bike end or the MTB end of things.

Look at bikes with front suspension and knobby tyres, although your budget means that suspension may not be a good idea (for €300 with suspension included, the rest of the bike will be really poor, to meet the price point).

TBH, you won't get much of a new bike for €300 (they'll be heavy, and won't be durable) - perhaps look at a quality used bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Halfords for the carrera subway or crossfire. I seem to remember that the subway had a fairly good reputation round these parts a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have a subway and it's my use and abuse/loaner bike and so far she's never let me down. I wouldn't be taking it on muddy tracks though as there isn't a massive amount of grip on the tyres but it'd be fine for fire roads/river banks and similar. It would certainly fulfil your requirements.

Something like this would probably be the best of all scenarios but possibly more than you need. http://www.adverts.ie/11702360

Or this depending on how bad the roads really are. I'm. Not sure where he was going with the tri bars.

http://www.adverts.ie/12279536

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Tyres are the most important thing. Some hybrids have narrow road tyres fitted as standard but others have more chunky ones and you can always change them. Look for a bike with vee brakes so there's plenty of clearance.

Tons of hybrids in your budget, new and second hand. I always liked the Specialized Sirrus.

http://touch.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/brand-new-bike/9845640

(I don't know anything about that particular bike above, just an example, actually the first listing under 'hybrid' on adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Tyres are the most important thing. Some hybrids have narrow road tyres fitted as standard but others have more chunky ones and you can always change them. Look for a bike with Disc brakes so there's no need to worry about clearance.

Tons of hybrids in your budget, new and second hand. I always liked the Specialized Sirrus.

http://touch.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/brand-new-bike/9845640

(I don't know anything about that particular bike above, just an example, actually the first listing under 'hybrid' on adverts.ie)

I've fixed that for you :D

I wouldn't recommend V brakes. They were a necessity before disc brakes but almost obsolete now except at a low level of cyclocross and kids/chap bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've fixed that for you :D

I wouldn't recommend V brakes. They were a necessity before disc brakes but almost obsolete now except at a low level of cyclocross and kids/chap bikes.

I completely disagree with this, particularly if you're on a budget.

Edited to add, vee brakes don't work with drop bar levers which is why they're only on flat bar bikes.

Edited to add, vee brakes don't work with drop bar levers which is why they're only on flat bar bikes.

That's grand I completely disagree with you also. :cool:

Edited to not derail thread.

OP get the best bike/components your budget can afford. For your requirements a hybrid would be fine and they handle rough roads surprisingly well. Don't be fooled by cheap components such as front suspension etc at your price point they won't be very good and will add unnecessary weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Anal point: it's "V", not "Vee".

OP: from an MTB perspective, at the budget you're talking about, I'd consider not bothering with suspension; it'll be poor and/or at the cost of quality of parts elsewhere and/or the bike will be so heavy and clunky as to be an effort to cycle. That said, at your budget, I'd still look 2nd hand as you will get far, far more bang for your buck in terms of quality of parts/frame and/or front-suspension if it shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I have one similar to this, and it would fit your requirements perfectly, if you can get something similar within your budget...

http://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/kellys-saphix/12186923 or
    https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/brand-new-bike-325-ono-also-have-receipt/14563857

Advertisement