Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrears wait time - normal?

Options
  • 17-02-2017 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello.

I got my first payment in January. A letter said I'd get arrears from 16 of August. So far still no arrears. Was 5 weeks on Thursday since my first payment. Is this a normal wait time does anyone know. I've had no income since August and my savings are just gone so I really need the money.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

TuamJ wrote: »
    Hello.

I got my first payment in January. A letter said I'd get arrears from 16 of August. So far still no arrears. Was 5 weeks on Thursday since my first payment. Is this a normal wait time does anyone know. I've had no income since August and my savings are just gone so I really need the money.

Thanks.

My friend, who has had income while waiting, got her first payment last Monday and the arrears ( 5 figures) went into her bank account overnight last night.
    She applied last March, was refused, appealed immediately and had her appeal allowed in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

infogiver wrote: »
    My friend, who has had income while waiting, got her first payment last Monday and the arrears ( 5 figures) went into her bank account overnight last night.
    She applied last March, was refused, appealed immediately and had her appeal allowed in November.

Darn. I'll have to contact them first thing Monday so. There must be something wrong somewhere that it's delayed this much on me.

Darn. I'll have to contact them first thing Monday so. There must be something wrong somewhere that it's delayed this much on me.

You had no payment while you were waiting?

You had no payment while you were waiting?

I don't understand that question. What payment would I have had? I was self employed and my mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor so I had to stop working to take her up to Dublin 5 days a week for 4 months treatment, worked again when I could and stopped again in August when it came back and she ended up bed bound and in palliative care and applied for carers. Was there some other payment I should have applied for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I don't understand that question. What payment would I have had? I was self employed and my mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor so I had to stop working to take her up to Dublin 5 days a week for 4 months treatment, worked again when I could and stopped again in August when it came back and she ended up bed bound and in palliative care and applied for carers. Was there some other payment I should have applied for?

A lot of people apply for supplementary welfare allowance to tide them over while waiting for payments, maybe you weren't aware of it?

• Advertisement

You could have applied to the CWO for a SWA if you had no income.
    If you had then any SWA you received would be deducted from your arrears, of course.
    But it's a moot point as you obviously didn't.

You could have applied to the CWO for a SWA if you had no income.
    If you had then any SWA you received would be deducted from your arrears, of course.
    But it's a moot point as you obviously didn't.

No I wouldn't have qualified for that at the time. I had enough savings to keep my business going and mortgage paid but could do with the cash now to get some help as I've used up the night nursing allowance the Irish Cancer Society provide. I'll contact them Monday and see what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

No I wouldn't have qualified for that at the time. I had enough savings to keep my business going and mortgage paid but could do with the cash now to get some help as I've used up the night nursing allowance the Irish Cancer Society provide. I'll contact them Monday and see what's happening.
    I know it's an aside to this thread, but if your Mum's getting palliative care, then there isn't (or shouldn't be) a limit on the ICS Night Nursing. Have you spoken to the Hospice Nurses about this?

smjm wrote: »
    I know it's an aside to this thread, but if your Mum's getting palliative care, then there isn't (or shouldn't be) a limit on the ICS Night Nursing. Have you spoken to the Hospice Nurses about this?

The ICS provides 10 night free.

Yes, but your local hospice/palliative care team will generally cover the costs of any nights beyond this. Have a chat with them.

• Advertisement

Sorry your mams so ill OP. Life is cruel sometimes.

smjm wrote: »
    Yes, but your local hospice/palliative care team will generally cover the costs of any nights beyond this. Have a chat with them.

No they don't and I wouldn't expect them to. I've been through this process already with my father in 2013. We're looking at months here because she's stable but the tumor is in an area that's affected balance/coordination/speech so she can't do anything for herself and I'm the sole caretaker. The hospice arranged the 10 nights for me over a few months just to let me catch up on sleep. And at that it was hard to get someone due to demand and where we live. They aren't in a position (and I wouldn't expect them to) to do anything more for us right now than they're already doing. If you are actively dying they will of course provide more nursing support but we're not there yet. It's a price I'm willing to pay for keeping her at home.

Sorry your mams so ill OP. Life is cruel sometimes.

Thank you infogiver. Yes it is but so far she hasn't suffered, she is no longer mentally aware of her illness and is very comfortable in her own home so it's not a bad way to go.

No they don't and I wouldn't expect them to. I've been through this process already with my father in 2013. We're looking at months here because she's stable but the tumor is in an area that's affected balance/coordination/speech so she can't do anything for herself and I'm the sole caretaker. The hospice arranged the 10 nights for me over a few months just to let me catch up on sleep. And at that it was hard to get someone due to demand and where we live. They aren't in a position (and I wouldn't expect them to) to do anything more for us right now than they're already doing. If you are actively dying they will of course provide more nursing support but we're not there yet. It's a price I'm willing to pay for keeping her at home.
    It's up to you, of course, if you enquire or not. I was in your position this time last year and it was the nurses themselves, both palliative and night nurses, who told me that the 10 night limit wouldn't apply, if it came to it. It wasn't a matter of my expecting it. As it happens, we only needed them for 4 nights. I kept my Dad at home as well, and I too was the sole carer. I wish you the best.

Advertisement